Pool of Radiance 2 - DOA

Scrivener

How sad. I had hoped that everyone would have learned their lessons from games like Ultima 9, BC3K 1.0, Vampire: The Masqeurade, Anarchy Online, WWII online, and Descent to Undermountain. But of all the incomplete and untested games ever released, Pool of Radiance 2 has just earned itself a place in history as the most disasterous game ever released. *sigh* Hopefully EB will take it back without my reciept (I wore my wallet to the beach... and forgot about it. Ouch)... that's $70 that I could use for Civ 3, Morrowind, Call of Chtulhu (Spelling?), or Neverwinter Nights. Will the industry EVER learn?

Yeah, I've been reading a lot about that. But I thought it was only the uninstaller that croaked? So it must have other problems then? Does it not work out of the box? I was planning on getting it when I go to EB to pick up my copies of Silent Hill2, SpyHunter, Commandos2 and Sub Command.

I sure wont be getting it.... But i got to say I would imagine the game developers had a great game, worked hard to develop it, but do to conflicting interests with the publishers were forced to release an unfinished product or face financial penalties.. Bastards... Jihad! Jihad with game publishers!

Technical problems aren't really a major issue with me, but the only three major bugs I've encountered so far are Being unable to attack, graphical Antialiasing glitches with DetonatorXP, and ending up with numerous corrupt save games. I did get the blue screen error while installing it on my second computer, so I know NOT to attempt to uninstall it.

The clincher is that the game feels litterally unfinished. Not just untested, but out-and-out unfinished. There are no Bard, Wizard, or Druid classes. In that same order, my three favorite classes. Neglecting the Bard alone would have been enough to warrant my taking it back. But whats more insulting is that the game claims to use 3rd edition rules, but forces you to use preset Feats & skills for the class you chose. Multiplayer is ashamedly bad. You cannot make a new character, but have to chose one of the prefabs (Including the characters you created for SP).

POR is more like a turn-based Diablo than D&D. AND I still have to make a decision on how to get it off my second computer without destroying Windows. I guess I could just delete the folder and manually hunt down the registry keys. Really, though... unless you thought Tresspasser was a good game, don't buy Pool of Radiance.

Well, it's back in EBs hands. I got the feeling that the manager thought I was BSing him about my second computer, which sucks because I'm still trying to get a job there (And asked him about the application I turned in a month ago). With the $70 I payed off Civ 3 Limited Edition and put another $10 on Morrowind.

Hey I just picked it up today and was about to install it after I got off the web. What is the problem with the uninstall and where can I look up the info on it(ie what web site)? I don't need to hose up my system. I was really looking forward to this game. The Original Pool was my all time old favorite PC game. If I can safely install it I'm still gonna give the game a shot, I like to form my own opinions, I'm just concerned about the uninstall issue.

If you get a blue screen while installing (Regardless of whether you manage to finish installing it or not), DO NOT UNINSTALL IT. I'm pretty sure I managed to nix it off the Little Box (My secondary computer) manually, but still, that kind of bug just shouldn't happen.

I really hope you don't plan on playing a Bard, Wizard, or Druid, either. They're not in the game. Like I told the manager at EB, I'll come back for it when it's been patched up to the point that people are no longer discussing class-action lawsuits on the BBoards. Also, when they add in Bards. I might even have weathered out the ix-bardom if I could have played a wizard or druid... and if any of them were able to attack a monster at that. The game is, quite simply, incomplete and untested.

I did not have a problem installing or uninstalling it (however I did this on a WinXP beta 2 which probably helped) The only problem I am having which is annoying is that the game will not run with FSAA, which makes the characters kinda of funny looking. The turn base action is not that bad, since its only during combat, which is just like real D&D you play normally and wander around till you make a encounter, which the DM then shifts to combat rounds. Oh the corrupting save files really is a pain, but so far its only when you save invisible.

When they get around to patching this game I think then it will prove itself.