Independence war

desolator

I have it(and the expansion pack,Defiance). It's alright, but I like BC3K(and BCM) better for one important reason.

While BC is open ended and free form, I-War uses a similar engine, with advanced controls of your ship, but is mission-to-mission(ala freespace) based. A lack of in-game music just makes it worse. This game looks like one that was released a little too soon. I-War 2, however, looks like an awesome game, more Privateer like

I have I-War Deluxe and its simply fantastic. It's not very open-ended, I'll admit, but for a space sim it's very convincing. Worth a look if you have a Glide-enabled video card. If not, then prepared for some very sub-par software graphics. It won't affect the game much, but the graphics are rather stunning in Glide... especially for such an old game. Realistically, though... I havn't played I-War since my Monster 3D II fried. Ah, but such good memories.

Heh. I never finished Independence War. Couldn't get past the mission where you have to track a distress signal (the enemy ships kept shooting me down). Most of the missions are difficult, to say the least.

Overall, the game is very good, but some of it (notably the main menu and mission screens) was half-baked.

I'm thinking about re-installing it, but if I do, I'll have to play it in software mode (the accelerated mode only supports 3dfx Voodoo cards). Oh well, at least it has a software mode, unlike most recent games.

[entering off-topic rant mode]

I hate the way 3D cards have been marketed in computer gaming.

What happens if NVidia goes the way of 3dfx and another chipset architecture starts dominating the market? All of the games that we play today and in the next few months (including BCM) could become completely unusable in a few years, unless you don't upgrade, but then you'd have to stop playing new games.

It's ridiculous.

[exiting off-topic rant mode]

Gotta add though, they way the ship repairs were handled bugged me a lot. I mean there is no way a ship can be repaired so fast and also with what materials and personel? That was just stupid.

The only things I liked about I-War was its awesome flight engine, the way the universe was set up (LDS/FTL drive, lagrange point jumps), the shields (I think its THE best shield system ive seen in a game so far.. no indicators of when they would fail or nothing, they deflected shots unless there were too many coming in at the same time.. awesome concept!) and the graphics.

But gameplay, mission system, retarded storyline and nothing else to do BUT follow the storyline completely ruins this game for me.

I like IW almost as much as I liked Freespace. IW2, for all the hype, is just plain disappointing. It would make a good console game though. In fact, it feels like one. So, i won't be surprised if it shows up on the PSX2 or GC. Definitely not the XBox, since MS doesn't allow (at least thats the current song and dance) direct PC->XBox game ports.

IWar2 was okay but could've been much much better. The last act for me was rather dissapointing as I enjoyed being a pirate. It's more like a movie than a game to me and like any movie (apart from Debbie does Dalas) I would only watch it once.....maybe twice. Multiplayerwise is also a bit of a dissapointment as the last time I tried it (a few weeks back) there was nobody there but its probably as I had it when it first came out.

hm, as weird as it sounds, I-War was much more fun than the sequel... (playtested it in the store) So I got that one instead. You guys where all right on that point.. Just got to love the flight model! Is it possible to have a similar in BCM I wonder..?

Desolator, if you plan on playing BCM when it comes out, then why havet you registered on the fleet DB

Get a move on man,prime fleets alrady giving away most of the squad commander positions

Which means you'll have to stick with just you, no people to command

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gaidal

SC, I don't understand, isn't say, Morrowind a direct PC-->X-box conversion? I can think of a ton of other examples of PC ports for the x-box in the works.

I know that IWAR 1 didn't pull any punches as far as distances were concerned. Flying from one of Jupiter's moons to another took a long time, even with LDS maxed out.

I re-installed it the day before last. I'm enjoying it one last time before I bid farewell to my Voodoo 3. Still a good game.

I war 2 demo isn't so hot, it runs extremely slow even if I disable all graphics and I'm on a 1ghz p3 with 256 mb of ram. Maybe it's my Voodoo5? but it is supported by the game (so it says) But I wouldn't recommend it on anything less than a G3

Eh, the Iwar2 demo slow? I got a PII 450 with a GeForce 2 and it runs along fluently, even at high resolutions, as do the whole game. (but seriously, It was only half as fun, if even that, as Iwar 1 and after a week or less it's just...well... boring.)

Long live BCM!