Space sims

desolator

What different space sims are there out there now that is any fun?

The ones I've played are:

Iwar1 & 2

Descent Freespace 1 & 2

BC3K (ofcourse..

All WingCommander series

All StarWars games

Allegiance

All Elite games

the ones I haven't tried are:

Terminus

X-Beyond the frontier

StarLancer

Tachyon-something...

So have I forgot a game, or is this all games out right now?

And if someone have played X-beyond the frontier, is it any fun if you like exploring space?

And Terminus too...any fun?

I've played X-beyond the frontier, and Tachyon, and was a little disapointed with both of them. X was supposed to be like Privateer, but isn't really exiting. All of the sectors are square, and the game itself is very, very slow.

Tachyon is sort of like Mechwarrior Mercenaries, in space. The graphics are nice, the plot is pretty good. But there really isn't much exploring to do.

That's what I miss about Privateer, and the Elite series. The ability to really explore.

Truthfully Tachyon is not so good in single player as its been done before. Tachyon is best played in multiplayer.

Terminus is okay but could've been better. The problem is once you get the right combo in ship customization(getting money by being an assassin) you know no one can beat you (I play it in insane level). The other thing is (i think I said this before can't remember) "Space is empty....especially if you are the only one on the server"

I picked up Ares Rising for 10$ about a year ago.... not worth it IMO.....Its buggy, and my cd drive has lots of troubles reading the disc.

Right now I'm playing Independence War 2 and likeing it.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: LordDavid ]

I have a copy of Aris Rising

I like the game, for its not buggy at all, and it never crashes, mabye its your system, or a conflict between something on your computer and the game

I like te game cause your free to choose witch missions you want to do, and when you want to do them

only missions you have to do are the onse sent to you by your "boss"...the lady who owns the asteroid base you use

Demolition, wanna play some time? I love the game. Here are the bugs I know of:

D3D mode is very unstable and lags. By lags, I mean what actually happens is seen by you a full second after it happens, e.g. in DirectDraw mode, you see instantly when your ship's shields are hit, allowing you to turn and react. In D3D, you see that your shields are hit a full second after, so that by the time you see your shields are hit, you've already taken large damage to them.

In DIB mode, when you start, the game randomly fires stuff. Buggy.

Only mode that is stable is DirectDraw. With DirectX 8 or higher, it too is unstable with some video cards.

Another problem I noticed is the random mission generator. Once you get far enough in the game, the missions don't match their descriptions at times, e.g. Description says "Kill Slacker" when the actual mission is "Scout the Hokaido system", etc.

But I still love the game Beat it on Easy, and now I'm stuck at Get the Index on Medium.

sure

i'll play you

as far as the bugs go....

i havent found any

my copy works well with my card and computer

i run it in d3d all the time with no lag or slow down

im not sure why yours is buggy, my guess is the game doesn't like something on your computer, or something on the computer doesn't like the game

The "lag" bit is just my theory of why the game plays so much more difficult on D3D. Either the graphics lag so you don't instantly know when you're hit, or the AI is tougher. Neither sounds reasonable.

Anyway, come over to the Ares Rising "club" (it only has 2 people) at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/aresrisingclub and maybe we can set up a game sometime. Or drop me your e-mail address sometime.

And I dunno how far you've gotten in the game, but the plot is so ironical. I don't want to spoil any of it for you though...

Do full install - Interplay makes really cheap CDs, and I have problems with the music on mine unless I full install. On full install, you don't need the CD to play.

quote:

Originally posted by LordDavid:

I picked up Ares Rising for 10$ about a year ago.... not worth it IMO.....Its buggy, and my cd drive has lots of troubles reading the disc.

Right now I'm playing Independence War 2 and likeing it.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: LordDavid ]