Operation Flashpoint

Scrivener

Have any of you played Operation Flashpoint? I picked this game up two days ago, and instead of working my research papers due Monday (Man, and I have to work all weekend) I havn't been able to pull myself away from this game. I think O.F. proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that uber-realism can be more fun than most games designed specifically to be more "fun" than realistic. I really don't know how to explain it... it's so different than anything else. Relating some of the fond memories I've been left with might help.

In one instance, I crowded onto the back of a truck with six or seven other soldiers. We were evacuating a town that was, at the same time, being overrun by enemies... including tanks. I was watching the tanks move into the town through the back of the truck as we drove up a hill to the north. Every now and then an explosion would go off just in front of, behind, or to the sides of the vehicle. At the time I thought it scripted... then, in a single moment, blood flew everywhere, fire filled the air -- and everyone died as our truck was reduced to tinder. Apparently it wasn't scripted after all... the tank shot us! Reload time.

Not to mention that with all the LOD options maxed out, the graphics are just increadible. And the AI... OMG!!! I'm not sure what's in the demo, but you should really check it out for yourselves. Get it at: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/download/demo.html

Why do I bring this up here? Because BC fans will most likely appreciate the depth and level of detail that OF offers. If you already own the game, what do you think?

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Scrivener ]

I DLed the SP demo last night (Even though I have the full game) Just to let you know how accurate it is. Well, it's obviously a demo made from beta code and the mission is rather sloppy, but more or less it does a good job of showing off some of the things the game is capeable of. From what I hear, a multiplayer demo was just released. That one should be built from the final code so if you dont have the full game, I'd grab it ASAP (Or just buy the full version -- it's definately worth your money... and remember, when you buy from EB, if you don't like it, take it back).

Damn, maybe I should have gotten it this weekend, but the first person shooter kinda throws me off, I hate doom type games, go kill this, go shoot that so I got Cultures, Independence war 2, and found Odium in used games so I got that too.

quote:

Heh, those of you with the U.S. version, grab the box, open up the inside flap, and take a look at the lower left area, primarily where it talks about the mission editor

Ok, Parias, I see that on the box, but I'm not following you.....can you elaborate?

I've had it for the past week or two. I really like..plus, its a little nostalgic to me. I served in the Marines back in the 80s so its a bit of deja vu(sp?). I haven't had the chance to play a multiplayer game yet.

quote:

Originally posted by ShoHashi:

Ok, Parias, I see that on the box, but I'm not following you.....can you elaborate?

I've had it for the past week or two. I really like..plus, its a little nostalgic to me. I served in the Marines back in the 80s so its a bit of deja vu(sp?). I haven't had the chance to play a multiplayer game yet.

Parias was quoted on that flap about the map editor.

Yeah, Sho, pretty good job of getting to the nuts and bolts of infantry combat, heh? And the campaign is really nicely tied together.

Try the Apache, a kick arse helicopter.

I have created several process intensive missions such as an assault on a heavily defended town with A10's, Apaches, Tanks, and Infantry. i'm talking maybe 300 soldiers in the mission, 20 planes, 25 Tanks, and 10 Heli's.

Think Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising battles.

quote:

Parias was quoted on that flap about the map editor.

Ah, I see!

quote:

Yeah, Sho, pretty good job of getting to the nuts and bolts of infantry combat, heh? And the campaign is really nicely tied together.

Yeah, Aramike, they did do quite a good job on that. Too bad they made it using the Army for branch of service! Shoulda used the Marines!

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Try the Apache, a kick arse helicopter.

I have created several process intensive missions such as an assault on a heavily defended town with A10's, Apaches, Tanks, and Infantry. i'm talking maybe 300 soldiers in the mission, 20 planes, 25 Tanks, and 10 Heli's.

Yeah, pretty cool! The choppers respond nicely. I'm not gonna use the A-10 anymore. I'll think i will only use it as an AI unit.

My PC bemcomes very unhappy when i activate that many units

quote:

Think Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising battles.

Yeah, cool one. Got most of his older books, some of op-center series. Most of his nonfiction books as well but i didn't buy any books for a while. Don't have (make) time to read them. Did you read Larry Bond's Red Phoenix?

Early in the campaign, you get left behind during the retreat and have to essentially hit out alone. Talk about atmosphere! I was literally immersed in staying alive!

Finally, you get picked up by some rebels and hit an exploit or two with them. Saving the civilians in the village was a remarkable mission, but nothing like the following one...

For those who haven't picked up this game, just picture this: Your goal is to get to a rebel stronghold deep inside Russian held territory. So, you start by driving a truck through. You're dressed in civilian clothing, as well as the guy beside you. The rest of the group (5 or so guys) are in the back of the truck.

So you're heading down the road and encounter the first Russian checkpoint. The guy beside you handles it with a few well-spoken words to the alcoholic soldiers there.

About a klick up the road, you hit another checkpoint. Officers there, this time. Too smart to sneak past. So, the leader tells everyone to get out of the truck and combat ensues. A brief firefight takes down several Russians that were right on hand but more are enroute with a BMP and a Hind.

What ensues is LITERALLY an uphill battle against the Russians. WAY up hill, through the woods. Rifle shots all around as you move a few feet, get down, look around, shoot if you see someone, and move a little more. Your team leader is desperately trying to keep control (you wouldn't believe how kick-ass the AI is in this game), and he's doing an OK job of it. Finally, after literally a 15-20 minute climb, under fire, you're at the top and things clear up. And you look down. HOLY SH*T! You have got to SEE it to believe it. In all that fighting, once you get to the top you stare down at the bodies of men lost in battle. The ones at the bottom are like ants. The whole fight felt like a movie. It reminded me of the confusing ending battle in Platoon.

This game is amazing. You really fall into the struggle and it all seems so friggin' real. Just wait until you are on a mission to ambush some tanks heading into town. Now THAT was hard...

Personally I liked it when I first got my hands on that sexy little M1A1 tank I also liked the missions with James Gastowski (or however his last named is spelled).... in one mission where I had to take out a bunch of Russian Shilkas, I beat it by sneaking up on one, hopping into it's gunner seat, and utilizing it to blow the living daylights out of everything else in my path. When I was finished, I disposed of it proper and completed the mission. Hurrah!

Here's another morsel.

Imagine: You and one other troop are ordered to halt an enemy tank advance into town. You are to mine the road then take out any stragglers with your LAWs.

So you place you mines then get into the bushes, waiting. You hear the sound of tanks getting closer and closer. You hear them pass you and you look up the road as the first tank approaches the mines. BOOM! First mine goes off. The crewmen struggle out only to be slaughtered as the damaged tank slides into a second mine. A following tank hits to the side of the road to go around his damaged comrade. Whoops. Another mine goes off. My leader orders me to remain still and keep holding my fire.

Another tank goes to the other side of the road. Yet another surprise awaits him. By now there are tank crews looking shocked and for anyone around that is responsible. They don't know what the hell is going on.

There is one tank that slipped through. My leader tells me to load up and take that beast out. I place my LAW on my shoulder, aim, fire. Hit 'em. All tanks gone.

But a LOT of pissed-off tank crews with AKs are standing, and now they know our location. We call for extraction, but we have to hold out against these reds first. I rifle fight ensues, in which my leader bites it. I personally hose 4 of Ivan's best, then make out towards the APC that slid slid in about 500 meters from me. It's machine guns are hammering away at straggling reds providing me cover for my dash. I get near it, hit some dirt, take out a couple more commies from the distance, and the mission ends.

Now, ladies and gents, GET THIS GAME!