JK: Jedi Academy

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

Anyone know a good place to download it? I tried like 3 times and all 3 it stopped working at one point (stupid internet provider sure it's faster than 56k, but 56k was at least consistent!).

Go here 3D Gamers I've been dloaded patches and demos for all my games from this for a long time. I dloaded Homeworld2 demo and it only took 20min for the 141mb file averaging out at 80kbs.

well single, double and staff sabers are in it, but I find a few of the puzzles to be a little arcane and buggy. especially the final puzzle at the end of the Jedi Master tomb level. For some reason there was no visual que in this section.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

quote:

Anyone know a good place to download it? I tried like 3 times and all 3 it stopped working at one point (stupid internet provider sure it's faster than 56k, but 56k was at least consistent!).

Go here 3D Gamers I've been dloaded patches and demos for all my games from this for a long time. I dloaded Homeworld2 demo and it only took 20min for the 141mb file averaging out at 80kbs.

I usually use that site too, but when I try to get the JA demo, it slows down to about 10 kbs. Their Tutaki download client was awesome, it was reliable and high-speed. I used it all the time (since their servers aren't that reliable sometimes). That new BitTorrent thing sucks IMO, it won't even start download for me.

BTW you get 80kbs? I usually get an average of 40. My DSL internet provider must really suck.

Yea, I tried BitTorrent yesterday also and was only getting 3kbs BIG SUCK!!! But I went and used the first mirror which is what I usually do with good results this was the Indiana(USA) (ftp mirror, courtesy of IHETS).

quote:

BTW you get 80kbs? I usually get an average of 40. My DSL internet provider must really suck.

Ugh sorry about the second post but I forgot to address the dsl issue. There's a draw back with DSL the further you are away from their network station the DSL signal becomes degraded making a slower connection. I use Verizon DSL and I'm only 1/2 mile from the network station which is excellent in those terms. Hence good dload speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

did anyone pick this up yet?

i picked it up yesterday and i kinda got mixed feelings about it...

the graphics do look alot cleaner than jedi outcast, but the character animations have ALOT to be desired... especially if your using 2 lightsabers or a double bladed lightsaber. the way you move and fight just looks static and blocky... not fluid like in JK2.

the way you do missions is better now i think. you actually get to pick what missions you do in what order (at least while youre still in the academy anyways).

the character customization is seriously lacking. you can only pick from 6 or so species (no weequay!!!!) and three or 4 head, body, and leg choices each. the saber customization is a little more diverse but not much. differtent hilt designs (like 4 or 5 if your using 2 lightsabers, 7 or 8 if youre using 1, and 4 if youre using the double bladed lightsaber),and the same color choices for saber blade color. i expect these issues to be remedied when the modders start putting out good quality saber and uniform mods.

seeing as how the PC i have JKA on doesnt have an internet connection, i just use the bots to play against to get me familiar with different online maps and such. in JK2, the bots were pretty good. in JKA, they are the most unintelligible ai i have ever seen in any game period... just giving you a fair warning if you want to use the bots.

overall im not too impressed with the mechanics of the game. the story aspect ,so far, does seem very promising like the other JK titles, and personally im willing to forgive the animation and other "shortcomings" if you will, for an excellent, well written story.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

did anyone pick this up yet?

i picked it up yesterday and i kinda got mixed feelings about it...

The problem is the aging Quake III engine. To me Jedi Knight is by far the better game out of all the JK series even though the engine for it is now considered outdated. It had a good story line, live action cut scenes and it used its own engine the only problem with it was that it didn't have colored lighting but then they released MOTS (mysteries of the sith) which did have colored lighting. I've killed many a night playing JK and MOTS online. The weapons and sabers were, in my opinion, well balanced. It's just not the same with Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy when I play online and I don't spend that long playing it like I did with the original JK. Anyway, I don't particularly like the Quake III engine for JK. Why they just didn't update and improve the original JK engine I don't know. Maybe for the next installment of JK they will use either the Half Life 2 or Chrome engine which would be awesome!

I do agree with all your comments about JA. I am highly disappointed with the saber colors the same colors to choose from as with Jedi Outcast and the hilt selection is piss poor also and the model selection could have been better too. If I didn't know any better I'd say they did this to give modders a chance of adding to this (as you have stated) but it is great that they included Two Sabers and the Maul saber into the engine. Back to the saber color what I don't understand is why they didn't make it an RGB attibute change as one Mod did for Jedi Outcast in other words you could make your saber color any combination of RGB intesities giving you the ability to pick from of the full spectrum of colors.

i picked it up yesterday.

i do think they should get a different engine but the game still looks nice and they did the double and dual sabers good. they even added a mp level that looks like the Naboo reactor.

i was hoping they'd include more with the customization but this isn't an RPG after all.

quote:

Gary Fox said: the way you move and fight just looks static and blocky... not fluid like in JK2.

i completely agree with that. in JK2 there was like a whole art into dueling and using the saber. now ppl with double and dual sabers cna spin around easily. not much skill there. it's still fun though to play Power Duel and Siege.

overall it's a good game but i don't think it's as complex as jk2 was.

quote:

Kalshion said: Was going to buy it today but after reading your post I decided not to and instead bought Chaser

omg im so pissed at JoWood over chaser. the b*stards keep saying my cd key is invalid

yea I know I had that problem to.. make sure your anti-virus is off though thats how I solved mine

and if all else fails.. take it in the back yard and use it as a throwing disk (for target practice )

alright.. no if it doesn't work then contact Joworld

the thing about the saber combat i noticed first off in JKA was how in JK2 you would swing high and your opponent would block high. everything would be smooth and sweet, but in JKA it just looks like your swinging like an idiot. its even worse if your using 2 sabers or the maul saber. you just start swinging, and so does your opponent. theres no smooth blocks, nothing.

the only redeeming factor is the cartwheel when your using the maul saber.

i will give it credit in one area, and thats the strong point of the whole JK series, and thats the storyline.

the story line in this one (so far) seems to be pretty solid.

i also do enjoy the fact that you can hop on taun tauns and other crap.

still i think the modding community will help save this and turn it into the excellent game it should have been out of the box.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

the only redeeming factor is the cartwheel when your using the maul saber.

i will give it credit in one area, and thats the strong point of the whole JK series, and thats the storyline.

the story line in this one (so far) seems to be pretty solid.

i also do enjoy the fact that you can hop on taun tauns and other crap.

still i think the modding community will help save this and turn it into the excellent game it should have been out of the box.

And don't forget about the Maul Kick too I love that but I can forsee multiplayer pheens abusing that alot.

I have to dissagree with ya on the story line which I found Lame. It's been done too many times before factor.

I love the speeder bike mission. It's so fun riding the speeders while fighting with your saber.

• 3 weeks later...