Call of Duty

Guest $iLk

I saw this game previewed in the theatre that I went to see ROTK in... it looked awesome (reminicscent of Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers/Enemy at the Gates) so I picked it up last night at Best Buy.

Multiplayer is fairly good... controls are much better than the MOH games - although MOHAA had more options for your skin/voice commands

Even the DOD mod for half-life is probably a lot more fun than this, although not quite as polished.

Single Player -

The Good: Awesome use of the Q3 engine... they've squeezed a ton out of it, and the single player game is excellent - along with the voice acting and briefings. Excellent use of scripted events mixed with nonscripted ones... and it really feels like you are in a pitched battle - especially in my case playing as the Americans toward the beginning of the game.

My Gripes: No German campaign - the game was far too short (I mostly finished it in 4-5 hours)... and while the blatant rip-off of movie scenes and lines was noticeable... I'd rather they had done something original and unique. The MP is outclassed in it's fun factor by so many other games based on WW2 that it's worth getting mainly if you want a well-polished fun replacement for your MOH games.

While PCGamer and Computer Games seem to be orgasmic over this title... I'd have to give it a 3/5 only for it's lack of replay value... IMHO. If it didn't have MP I'd still recommend it for purchase at maybe a $30 price range. But it's worth it for the most part the $40 I spent.

Guest MIKE113

I got it for myself the day after Christmas. I agree that it was much too short. EB games had it for $39.95 or I would not have bought it. The multiplayer is ok but I need a faster connection.

quote:

and while the blatant rip-off of movie scenes and lines was noticeable...

There's only so many ways to do Stalingrad. Especially when it's at least 75% true.

My only complaints about this entire game are:

1. They could have done some neat intro like in MOH: Spearhead.

2. I found half the Soviet missions pure suicide(Like running up the bank in the first one)

quote:

2. I found half the Soviet missions pure suicide(Like running up the bank in the first one)

The soviet missions were my favorites. I believe they are close to historically correct. Took me a while to figure out how to complete the beachhead mission, but the artillery show was GREAT!

Yeah really.... I do feel that Day of Defeat for Half-Life is a LOT better than this... although for 40 bucks a 4 hour game that I could easily use as a coffee cup coaster after I'm done is a bit to steep...

Great singleplayer experience though... but I still feel for multiplayer Day of Defeat blows it out of the water... even Battlefield 1942 is more fun although not as realisitc IMHO... (gameplay-feel wise...)

• 1 year later...

The russians boy, one rifle for every two men, it is said that what they lacked in equipment and training they made up for with man power.

Anyway Call of duty was great I had played the demo when it first hit the market but never ordered it, did so recently and still loved it even though its aged a bit. I am getting COD2... and with it set to be even more intense according to a review I have read, I think I will enjoy it while it lasts.

Half life took me many long days of playing to be COD took me one day, so I guess the campagne was either that much shorter or something but I wish it was longer.

I liked the music played during the Russian missions, good solemn stuff.

• 1 month later...
Guest Grayfox

if you liked the first COD then youll prolly love the second. playing as a desert rat, or rolling with british tanks in the desert is awesome. the russian campaign is just as intense as the first CoD. the american campaign does a pretty fair job of recreating pointe du hoc (mountain scaling anyone?)

overall the enemy AI is pretty damn good. theyll use hop and pop maneuvers on you and try to rush/outflank you, use nades to flush you out of hiding... creepy. the only downside for me is they took away the health bar. if you take some damage, but not enough to die, all you have to do is find a safe spot to belly up for a few seconds and your life will regenerate like the shields in HALO... takes the fun out of it. but they did add a grenade threat indicator that lets you know if a nade is too close and what direction it is relative to your position.

overall i love it, even if the multiplayer is the same damn thing as the first CoD, but if i want killer ww2 MP ill play BF1942.

4/5 only because it didnt come with a free sandwich

its good. and its loud. the missions are cool. one of the interesting aspects of the missions I like in this one are the running and fighting, sometimes you running after large groups of infantry retreating and other times you retreating while fighting overwhelming forces. makes it intense!