Gaming Nostalgia

Supreme Cmdr

Man, I remember The Well, bix, cix (when I was back in the UK), delphi, genie and compuserve (back when it was a text interface and later they had a WIN31 graphics interface). I subscribed to all of them at one point or another. Then came AOhell.

*sigh* those were the days. You took one look at your phone bill at the end of the month, and got a near heart attack.

This brings back fond memories of my trusty Amstrad computer (which I had back in the UK) and other fond memories, such as my Viglen (another PC clone and I worked for the company for a while).

I remember signing up to Compuserve in about 1991 I think. I thought the chat rooms were the coolest things on earth.

'I'm typing to someone half way across the world.. OH MY GOD!!'

The fact that I had to pay a phone bill AND something like $5 an hour to compuserve wouldn't stop me.. the 250 quid a month bills didn't stop me.. they were a bit of a shock though!

Then someone told me that Compuserve wasn't the internet.. that was a bit disappointing as I thought I was a hi tech dude on the information superhighway.. turned out it was just a glorified bulletin board. I also noticed how much more willingly people revealed themselves to be totally deranged compared to people u meet on the street, and gradually the novelty wore off.

Now I could do all that and more for a tenner a month but, more often than not, I can't be arsed.

How we change.

quote:

Originally posted by Banquet:

I also noticed how much more willingly people revealed themselves to be totally deranged compared to people u meet on the street, and gradually the novelty wore off.

LMAO!!

It was more of a shock for me when they came up with the graphical interface. Until then, we the elites were using offline message downloaders (forgotten the names now) so that you could logon, grab all new messages, logoff, read offline, reply, logon again to upload. Man, that was too cool. Total bees knees stuff.

Ahhh, memories. My first experience online was Prodigy. It was slightly before AOL came on the scenes, somewhere around 1986-1988, I think?

I seem to remember Compuserve was more nerdy, like more geared for the tech. and science crowd. The interface was still character based and ugly.

I don't remember doing anything on Prodigy other than hang out in message boards and watch my online time ticker.

• 1 month later...