Star Wars Galaxies & JTL Expansion

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tac

I've beta tested the game since Phase one ok? I'm not stupid.. I know damn well that the game went wrong because of the devs

Although, beleive it or not, they ARE finally listening to there players.. so there may be hope yet

Edit: Commando?? BROKEN? yea... right.. and I'm Leia's husband

Commando's can take down a turret in under one minute sometime's two as long as they have medic/doctor support, where before hand they COULDN'T

The only special currently broken on Commando is Firecone 2, and I know cause I have guild members who have said just that.. but they have also said that everything else is fine except that attack

The dev's are giving JEDI there TEF back when they bring out a light sabre (anyone can attack them, covert or overt)

They've also said something about putting PERMA death back in after JTL is released, I'm hoping they do cause quite frankly a jedi should be peram death

Right now, I've killed well over my fair share of jedi's. Look in my house and you'll see the robe's of every jedi I've killed (I craft the robe's and put there name's on it.. sorta like a momento)

I've been playing this game since phase one, so I know what is going on, I keep up to date on the updates and what the developer's are doing.

To be honest SC, I believe JTL will bring more people to this game AS LONG as the developer's continue to listen to there players, which like I've said, they have.

[ 08-27-2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Kalshion ]

Ah the new patch...the new jedi system.

Derek, I got a question for you as a developer & legally savvy guy in matters of 'the industry'...

If a company sells a product that advertises X item (in this case that you can become a jedi).. and is not true because its not even in the game code until almost a year after its on the shelves. Then a patch finally enables it (jedi) and time passes by.. nobody knows how to become jedi .. then the system is revealed to be getting to master level in 5 proffessions.. 4 of which will be told to you by in-game artifacts.

And so people for more than a year do this system..which is extremely time consuming not only because you have to master the proffessions but because the in-game artifacts (holocrons) are also very hard to acquire.

a significant portion of the playerbase takes up the 'hologrinding'... very few become jedi..many more are not so lucky and grind for many months, mastering almost 20+ proffessions.

As the frustration mounts and subscriptions drop from it, the company decides that yes, the system is a disaster and announces it will change it.. and that those who had gotten their silent holocron would be compensated in the new system (which was suggested would be a series of quests) by being placed on 1 step away (aka 1 quest away) from getting their jedi character.

And months after this happened, this gets repeated in official statements more than twice...

Then one day the patch with the new jedi system comes online... and all the people who had reached their silent holocron & either quit or just stopped trying to get the jedi slot because they had silent holo and the new system was promised to put them 1 step away...

and in that day the company says that they had changed the system months before (without telling anyone) from being 5 to being 8 proffessions to maser... and that their previous statements & promises, which was the reason why many costumers stayed as costumers, were not going to happen...

Isn't that false advertisement or outright illegal in any way?

I'd like to know.. i resubscribed because of the statements and promises.. i stayed as a paying costumer for months before i quit the game because of the same statements and promises. Now this.

When i go to my bank to dispute the charges I'd like to know what to tell them so they can go and smack SOE up the head.

'course im only disputing the charges on my visa of when i resubscribed (today).

and im filing a report with the BBB as well. This is disgusting.

Which is why after beta I said bye-bye to my clan and didn't think twice. SWG isn't good in anyway. I mean yeah it's set in the SWG world, but what good does it do for someone who wastes hours and days to weeks and years so that one day the game will give them the label of Jedi and then if their lucky to keep it until the game goes offline, they won't have that title no more and will spend hours looking for the next SW game so they could be a "jedi".

• 2 weeks later...

forgive my clueness, but how big IS 8 km when it involves a game world?

In the case of Jedi

Let me tell you this, on my server, Eclipse, roughly 80% of the population is going Jedi now thank's to the new quest system

EIGHTY PERCENT!!!

It's to a point where I no longer find it worth while to go pvp anymore since there is no defense against Jedi

All they need to do is run up to you, "Wack Wack", and you're dead

Maybe they should rename the game to "Star War's Galaxies: Jedi Wars"

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

forgive my clueness, but how big IS 8 km when it involves a game world?

Wrong tree that.

In a space sim - or any flight game - 8km is *nothing*.

Just think, in UC

the fastest gunship travels at 150 m/s

the slowest fighter travels at 590 m/s

1km = 1,000m

Do the math and you'll see how quickly you would need to traverse 8km in UC.

In JTL, if the space region is 8km square, that means the ships are slower - way slower - and so means that the region could become very crowded very quickly and all engagements would be up close an personal with hardly any room for much else.

I simply cannot believe they made it 8km. Which, to me means that the planetary regions aren't much bigger than that either.

Heck, in UC, a single planetary mzone (where the scenes are), is 204km edge to edge.

A scene (where the bases, cities etc are) can be any size and is dependent on the size of the objects in it but the smallest are about 1km edge to edge.

Hey Tac, it's very simple to dispute those charges, especially if they are on a credit card, simply say that the product wasn't delivered as promised and wasn't usable in a promised capacity. Also, post that advice on their forum so that other players can dispute the charges. Talk with your money man.

• 4 weeks later...

A follow up to SC's post right above

From Gamespot:

RUMOR #4: LucasArts plans to end its agreement with Sony Online Entertainment to host Star Wars: Galaxies.

Source: The number one nerd news network, Slashdot.

The official story: Neither LucasArts nor SOE had responded as of press time.

What we heard: Saying the rumor was "Heard through the grapevine," the Slashdot piece references two articles on Miss Match and Star Wars Galaxies: War Cry, which said there is strife between the Galaxies maker and host. "Now the day after the Jump to Lightspeed expansion goes live, they plan to announce the second expansion pack and the divorce between SOE and LucasArts," read the Miss Match article. "They will then give update us on the changes that will be made when LucasArts takes the controls." However, both articles admit to being very speculative. "Rumor is a nasty beast that leads Past The swamps of heresay (sic), through the forest of tittle-tattle to the Dark Castle of Speculation, and pretty soon your in the Lost Dungeons of assumption blindly flailing about for the lost chalice of Scandal," read the War Cry post.

Bogus or not bogus?: We'll find out October 27, the day after the Jump to Lightspeed expansion ships.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

SOE bans between 10,000 - 45,000 players.

This is nothing new, I had an SOE account last year, became a fairly powerfull player with no cheating duping or anything like that. SOE looks at my account, says hey this guy has millions in credits and bans me, just like that. So I emailed them, begged them to take a look at my account and finally, they gave it back with an apology and a month for free, but it was too late, I was pissed and just cancelled my account.

A friend of mine convinced me to take a second look about 4 months ago, so I tried it for one more month, but wasn't impressed, I just couldn't get back into it.

Recently SOE invited me to take another look gave me 10 days free, so I looked it over, had an additional 3 Million credits from all the items selling out of my stores (my character was still there), but the lag is just a killer, also was invited to look at the Beta, got into a ship but being used to BCM/UC and EVE onlines MASSIVE space areas, I almost felt like I was in a closet, going out into thier space areas.... Also, the "Stations, which are supposed to be HUGE look to me like they are no bigger than the Large buildings on the planet!?, for a game that was doing the scale so well when it came to the AT-AT's homes, and other things, this is really disapointing.... I don't know about this one... I hope Lucasart is taking it back maybe they can do better with it.

OK i hereby take back all of my previous comments on how swg is cool and all cus lets just face it the damn game sux cus SOE IS STUPID AHHH!!! but yeah i quit swg and am now currently MMOless heh

lets just say the game suddenly got REALLY boring for me that and i played WoW and SWG was nothing compared to it. lol strange isnt it? how one game thats not even the same genre can be so much better

• 6 months later...
Guest $iLk

I'm playing on Chilastra. The CU was pretty bad at first, but they stabilized it in about 4 days. I'm having a blast now with my guild.

I thought that I would check it out after 6 months of not playing and surprisingly, my account was still there, along with 3.5 Million that I made selling things... Aparently, what has happened is that now a top level character can no longer solo taking down a Cavern full of Krayt Dragons. Now he has to strategise and get them to come out one by one to kill them. Otherwise he needs to join a group to fight. So I guess it's not too bad, I'll play it for a few more days and see what it's like.

• 6 months later...

NYT weighs in on how they royally screwed up SWG

quote:

For Online Star Wars Game, It's Revenge of the Fans

LucasArts/Sony Online EntertainmentAn image from Star Wars Galaxies, which started as a game for mature players and has been transformed to favor clashing light sabers over cerebral strategies.

E-Mail This

Printer-Friendly

Reprints

Save Article

By SETH SCHIESEL

Published: December 10, 2005

For two and a half years, Emily E. LaBeff, chairwoman of the sociology department at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Tex., spent 30 hours or more each week playing the online computer game Star Wars Galaxies. Not for research, but for fun.

Logging on to the game on weekends and many nights after class, Ms. LaBeff directed Athena Wavingrider, a powerful Jedi she created, through the far corners of the Star Wars universe, fighting on behalf of the Rebel Alliance against the tyranny of the Galactic Empire. Like millions of other online gamers, Ms. LaBeff, 54, discovered a camaraderie and friendship with other players that were far more important than the play itself - relationships that can be hard to replicate in "real life."

"It's replaced my television time, and I don't go to the movies anymore," she said, chuckling. "I don't keep my car as clean as I used to. But it's not because of the game itself. It's because of the people." She added, "We all had this wonderful second life together."

And now it's all gone, at least in any form that Ms. LaBeff and thousands of other Star Wars Galaxies veterans would recognize.

Last month, LucasArts and Sony's online game division, which have jointly run Star Wars Galaxies since its introduction in 2003, suddenly turned the game upside down, making the most sweeping changes ever made to a persistent online game. ("Persistent" means that the game world is constantly running, and players may log in and out as they please.) Unsatisfied with the product's merely moderate success, the companies radically revamped the game in an attempt to appeal to a younger, more trigger-happy audience.

Previously, the game was unabashedly complicated, appealing to mature, reflex-challenged gamers with its strategic combat style and deep skill system, which allowed players to carve out profitable, powerful niches as entertainers, architects and politicians. Now the game has become self-consciously simple, with a basic point-and-click combat system that is meant to evoke the frenetic firefights of the "Star Wars" films.

To Sony and LucasArts, the changes are a necessary step to help the game appeal to a broader audience. (The companies do not release subscriber figures, but many gaming experts believe that before the changes, Star Wars Galaxies had about 200,000 subscribers, each paying about $15 a month.) But to thousands of players, the shifts have meant the destruction of online communities that they might have spent hundreds or even thousands of hours constructing. Now many Galaxies players are canceling their accounts and migrating to other online games. They are swapping tales on "refugee" Web sites with names like Imperial Crackdown (imperialcrackdown.com). Ms. LaBeff, for instance, said that she had canceled all three of her Galaxies accounts and had joined a new guild in World of Warcraft, another game, with her old Star Wars friends.

"Someone might wonder, well, it's just a game, what's the big deal?" said Robert Kruck, 54, an engineer for Motorola who lives in Schaumburg, Ill., who said he had canceled seven of his eight Galaxies accounts. "But for many people it is much more than a game," he said. "It is a part of their lives where they have invested huge amounts of time building a community. And that community has been based on a sophisticated, mature game. So now, for them to take an adult-level combat and economics simulation and turn it into a mindless game for 10-year-olds is a violation of that community."

For Sony and LucasArts, the idea has been to make the game more "Star Wars-like," tying it more explicitly to the films.

"We really just needed to make the game a lot more accessible to a much broader player base," said Nancy MacIntyre, the game's senior director at LucasArts. "There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game. There was a lot of wandering around learning about different abilities. We really needed to give people the experience of being Han Solo or Luke Skywalker rather than being Uncle Owen, the moisture farmer. We wanted more instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves."

Ms. MacIntyre said Galaxies had lost "significantly more" than the 3 to 5 percent of players who typically leave any online game every month. She said she expected the game to return to its previous subscriber levels in six months, a process she hoped would be accelerated by the introduction of a new television infomercial hawking Galaxies later this month.

"We knew we were taking a significant risk with our existing player base, but we felt so strongly that we needed to make these changes for the sake of the game's long-term future that we all held hands, LucasArts and Sony, and went forward," Ms. MacIntyre said.

It may, however, be a rocky path, because the revamped game is receiving mostly horrible reviews from players. On Gamespot.com, a leading game Web site, about half of the more than 600 players evaluating the game have rated it "abysmal." Some 14 percent have called it "terrible," and 6 percent have described it as merely "bad." The game is described as "perfect" by about 12 percent and "other" by 18 percent.

"We just feel violated," said Carolyn R. Hocke, 46, a marketing Web technician for Ministry Medical Group and St. Michael's Hospital in Stevens Point, Wis. Ms. Hocke said she once had as many as 10 separate Galaxies accounts but has canceled all but one in the last two weeks.

"For them to just come along and destroy our community has prompted a lot of death-in-the-family-type grieving," she said. "They went through the astonishment and denial, then they went to the anger part of it, and now they are going through the sad and helpless part of grieving. I work in the health-care industry, and it's very similar."

quote:

Originally posted by Raziel:

"-strategic combat style and deep skill system" 0.- Since when?

It was just as click and watch as the rest of most mmorpgs.

If you had played the game the first year of release, you wouldn't be saying that

SWG WAS a Strategic Combat Style game. The introduction of base's and turrets made that even better, because you couldn't just walk up to a turret and "wack wack wack" with your trusty vibro blade. You needed to find someone with enough fire power, sometimes you had to hire them

Like Lebaff, I'm one of those who's beta tested this game, and played it right out of the box. The introduction of the "Combat Upgrade" where they instituted "Levels" really killed combat for A LOT of us

My profession was both a riflemen and an architect (I love building things) early in the game, the only means of getting money was to HUNT so when I was low on funds I'd take out my trusty rifle and go kill some things (Rancors where my top pray, kiting them was rather easy if you knew the tarrein well enough)

But.. alas... thats no longer possible... this game is more for kiddys now. I tried to play the "New Generation Enhancments" but the hand just can't take the constant clicky on the mouse (Before you didn't NEED to constantly hit that left mouse button, all you needed to do was start a fight and then use some abilitys, depending on what you choose would determine weather you lived or not)

Space Style was also affected, but not as bad. Gaining money is still possible, but very hard. Many of us veterains DO feel betrayed because we put in a lot of money and time to create our communitys, the community I was in has mostly been dead. Been apart of it for three years, we've seen people go, some have died, in two case's everyone in the community attended a funeral (that brings back memorys) for our leader who died in Iraq, it was a large showing, about 498 people attended her funeral, I do remember the looks on her familys faces (shock maybe? I don't think they realized just how many people appriciated her hard work)

All in all, communitys for this game as no more. EVERY server in game has either low or NO Population. Some of the biggest and most populer servers (starsider, just to name a few) which had been CONSTANTLY FULL are now on "low" it seems to me LA and SoE didn't understand what they where doing

By releasing the NGE, they systematically killed hundred's of thousands of players instantly; destroying communitys and the economy

Personally, I hope SWG dies. Cause in it's state it won't survive much longer. I determine it'll be dead by January (Since LA did say that if subscription rates don't go up by the end of January, they'll be pulling the plug on the game)

In my opinion, I hope they do. Cause they dont' realize how much damage they really did to this game

Think I'll take my money to Rising Force Online... at least it's being made by a more respectable company