Firm launches game copying software

Supreme Cmdr

It might be legal to make one copy, but if this program makes it possible to make more then one copy, they are gonna be slammed and slammed hard.

This is basically able to make warez without the cracking.

Copy it to your hardrive, and then give it to your friends.

If that happens just once, the excrement will hit the fan.

Because being able to make it run from your harddrive overrides any copyprotection added to the disk.

Can you say lawsuit? I knew you could.

That old thing "I see dead people" change that to, "I see dead company", and it's gonna happen, I almost guarantee it.

quote:

Jaguar

if this program makes it possible to make more then one copy, they are gonna be slammed and slammed hard.

The article did state it was supposed to prevent second tier copying and added watermarks and stuff so they could trace it if it did get out.

I would give it a shot to prevent waiting on load times and stuff. I wouldn't share though. CD's are about as fragile as vinyl records used to be. I'd rather keep a cd as new as possible.

I own DVD X-Copy by the same company and use it to make copies of my DVD's since my kids are always ruining them. For one thing, it adds an additional layer of copy protection, so it can't be copied furthur. Also, it puts your CD Key into each copy that you make, so if you were to upload it to Kazaa or something like that, they would be able to identify you, so I don't think that this will really cause any problems, if it works the way their DVD Copying program works.

Don't get too excited guys; This is like a company releasing 'a stabber' with safety meassures when we have a drawer(internet) full of old-fashioned knives.

How different is it functionallity from 1:1 ripping a CD to an ISO with blindread(free)? And then mounting said ISO with daemon tools(free) which includes copy protection emulation? Or you could just burn it with blindwrite(free) and go about your business.

I am not a software pirate; I use these programs because they're very reliable and a handy way to keep my CDs alive. They also cost less than this program, which is out to capitalize off of the fact that most people don't exploit the information resources they have availible to find the right(free) tools for the job.

EDIT: On reflection, has it occured to any of you that this is being released as misdirection to keep people away from tools which they could use for unlimited evil? I'm sure software developers would rather they use this than a suite of any of a dozen tools I(and probably anyone whoever even glanced) could name.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

I'd rather keep a cd as new as possible.

Exactly, I make copies of CD's wherever and whenever possible to save on abuse of those original CD's. Not from me per say but from visitors that come by and play on my computer. I swear some think that the CD's are either frisbees or coasters.

• 2 weeks later...