Falcon 4 Lives!!!

Cougar_DK

quote:

Originally posted by Cougar_DK:

Sure SC, take a look
Version 1.03 is the version you want.

If you have Aeyes cockpit or using hi-res tiles then remember to install them before BMS!

When using any BMS exe (with the exception of 0.99):

Keep an eye out for stuttering when the weather is set to 'Poor' or 'Inclement'. The stuttering seems to disappear with 'Sunny' and 'Fair' weather settings. Also, the weather setting 'sticks' so you have to keep changing it around to keep the weather how you want it. If you are lucky and can run the other weather types without stuttering, you are one lucky person and I am very jealous

Also, I accidentally installed Aeyes pit AFTER BMS, and it worked fine. I don't recommend it, of course, but it should work as long as you remember to recompress the DDS texture pool after you update the pits, assuming you did what I did--installed pit in wrong order ...and if you are even using the DDS textures.

BMS and SuperPak3 (Don't have SP4 yet, and will not be using BMS 1.04 unless they get stuttering fixed....) was an incredible experience. It is really amazing how far this sim has matured over the years.

I also plan on buying Falcon:OIR the second it is released The Grand Prix Legends of flight sims Good, good stuff.

rvs

Maybe i'll check it but i can recall installing

SP2 or SP3 i think and i noticed i could even set

the chaff / flare intervals etc. different programs. Haven't played it for along time it and i don't play it enough to remember all the keyboard combinations. Liked the original F4 very much.

The SP4 does not add anything new to the game exe-wise. Its "only" data edits.

Yes Falcon SP3/SP4 is truly what GPL is for motorsport on the pc. It takes time and dedication to learn it. But it is well worth the effort.

And the dynamic campaign is why this game has lived for soo many years. This is really war.

quote:

Originally posted by Cougar_DK:

The SP4 does not add anything new to the game exe-wise. Its "only" data edits.

Yes Falcon SP3/SP4 is truly what GPL is for motorsport on the pc. It takes time and dedication to learn it. But it is well worth the effort.

And the dynamic campaign is why this game has lived for soo many years. This is really war.

I think that many of the SPx exe's are modifications to the source code, data edits are secondary. It has to do with the G2I agreement--SP4 is supposed to be the last edited source code release before OIR is on shelves.

http://f4ut.frugalsworld.com/

G2I has allowed edits to the source code for quite a while now, provided they all wind up in the hands of G2I for future Falcon releases. A good idea, if you ask me. If you read the new features of SP4, it is quite apparent that this is not the Falcon of old The volumetric clouds alone are spectacular, and some prelim shots of a new lighting engine have already been posted but it is not known if this new graphics capability will be in OIR. It isn't going to be in SP4 or BMS 1.04.

I don't know if we will see an SP5, but OIR should be out soon.

rvs

Is Falcon 4 free now? The full game?

"...to modify the Falcon 4.0 source code and to provide a free of charge, free to download executable to the community."

I read that from one of the F4 sites. Maybe I read it wrong...

Would I still need the old CD, or do I just install the SP4 file and BMS 1.03 and that's it.

Extinct_Reptilia,

Yes, the SuperPak is an addition to the base Falcon 4.0 (out of the box), Patch 1.08 US (different for the French version, please check readmes) and then a single click install for SP4.

Of course you have other options for installing, with HiTiles, cockpits, BMS, FreeFalcon, etc. but the basic 'vanilla' install will get you the full upadte.

So to sum up--you need the old CD, but if you do a full initial install, that is the last time you will need it as it is not required to run the sim. Then you patch it up and CLOSELY follow the SP4 readme for installation.

Here is a 'gotcha' if you have previously installed any SPx or other Falcon addon that uses the F4Patch installer as a component--after uninstalling Falcon (for whatever reason) MAKE SURE to go into the registry, look for the F4Patch key, and delete it. If you do not do this, subsequent installs of Falcon will fail. I should know, I tried to install a RC for SuperPak3 while beta testing it and after 15 failed attempts I put Falcon up for a year in total and utter frustration. No one bothered to mention this very critical point, at least not to me, during the beta testing.

Again, I must caution with the use of the BMS exe--it is known to cause hitches in performance on many systems, so the choice is yours. Multiple installs of Falcon are possible, and many do this so that they may have many versions to play. I don't know how to do this, and the one time I tried failed miserably

I am going to stick to the following:

Falcon 4.0 v1.00 (Out of box)

1.08 US Patch

SuperPak4

After I see how that works out, the Aeyes cockpit and the HiTiles will be next.

No BMS exe until they figure out how to fix the stuttering.

rvs

Does F4UT know that That agreement keeps changing around so much it is tough to keep track of it. I imagine you are probably correct, I was under the impression, in the beginning, only F4UT had full source code rights, up to the 'gold' status of OIR, and then all edits were supposed to stop--even data edits.

My apologies for mixing the issue a bit, and thank you for following up on it. Regardless, I feel the whole situation, as strange as it is, is a great day for Falcon fans in general.

rvs

Yeah, same here--December 12, 1998. I played between 1 and 18 hours a day for 3 years solid, and finally conked out due to reasons mentioned above That year off must have contained some valuable Falcon related material I simply missed...LOL!! Plus, I didn't like all of the fighting that started to happen, really ugly stuff. At that time, the big battle was the RPx group (iBETA...?) and the 'eRAZOR' group, and then it just got three legged dog crazy after that.

I am looking very forward to the OIR package to be released, it will be nice to see Falcon back on store shelves again. I mean, I only have 5 copies, I need some more...

rvs

Guest HRose

quote:

Originally posted by rvs:

I am looking very forward to the OIR package to be released, it will be nice to see Falcon back on store shelves again. I mean, I only have 5 copies, I need some more...

It got canned.

G2I is starting a new project with good ideas on it but probably not distant from vaporware: http://www.fighterops.com

Instead F4 is "suspended". Atari won't "free" it and the community can only do data edits.

Man, since this thread has popped up, I've been abscessed with F4 and the modding!!! Sheesh, I haven't played BCM in ages!

quoting last post: "Instead F4 is "suspended". Atari won't

"free" it and the community can only do data edits."

That hasn't been determined yet HRose. The community development groups have been in negations with Atari about editing the EXE, especially BMS, and there haven't been any concrete answers yet, it's all just word of mouth right now...So no body knows... We're just waiting...

Everyone is keeping their fingers crossed. For all of you following along, I personally would love to see the next installment of BMS!!!

This game kicks ass!!!

Im still waiting for FF fix for SP4 to be released, so im playing now only "vanila" SP4, and its fun. Just im curious, i dont know if this happends only to me, but when i fly campaign and press "6" i see SAMs tracking me without missiles loaded? The biggest menace remains AAA and enemy fighters

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Anyone wondering why I have banned this mofo (HRose), should see the email he sent me and the crap he posted over

At the rate he was going I didn't give him much longer on this forum anyway. What still amazes me is the constant droning over the same thing again and again. He talks about you not listening but he didn't listen to us when others told him to knock it off just post the comment about the game once (unless they were questions about any of the game's technical issues that were occuring) and have done with it. The same mistakes others have made that got them the boot from here and yet he didn't learn from that. Now he'll just go around on other forums calling us names and saying he was treated unfairly just like all the others that got the boot. Too bad I still wasn't in college for a masters degree I'd write my final paper about the Psychological mind set of forum posters who don't listen to forum rules.

• 2 months later...
Guest rtoolooze

"BMS 2.0 has been released!!!!!"

I know Derek, I got it last night. Awesome huh!

Except now I have to go thru the install dance again, if you know what I mean, lol.

O well, its worth it. Been a Falconeer since its release. (Even tho I continually get killed over the flot.)

Cheer's and happy flying.