First Person credit where First person Credit due

ProXimity

Something that has bugged me about FPS games for awhile is that the majority of the industry/community acredits Castle Wolfenstein 3D as the first-first person game...

NOT TRUE!!!

How about Colony?!?? ANY one else remember this one? Had HUGE system requirement. (floating point (co-processing) power.)

Really had no textures. Vectors made up walls, corners, objects, etc. Every wall was a single poly.

You started as an investigator on a colony planet, having to find the entrance to the underground complex. Was a descent sci-fi horror game.

Looking Glass technology...

If you don't know who they where, then stop reading this post NOW!

Ultima Underworld. Devel by Looking Glass, licensed AND published by Origin under the Ultima Franchise.

First *real adventure* FPS.. Multitextured environments, w/ dynamic lighting. Dynamic musical score. ALL the interactivity of an Ultima game, AND a complete physics system to boot.

First game I EVER really thought I was 'there' and could play it all night. OMG....

Both of these, not only pre-dated Wolfenstein 3D, but also out-depth'd them as well.

ProX

quote:

Originally posted by ProXimity:

Ultima Underworld. Devel by Looking Glass, licensed AND published by Origin under the Ultima Franchise.

First *real adventure* FPS.. Multitextured environments, w/ dynamic lighting. Dynamic musical score. ALL the interactivity of an Ultima game, AND a complete physics system to boot.

First game I EVER really thought I was 'there' and could play it all night. OMG....ProX

Yeah I remember Ultima Underworld, I had to update to DOS 6 for the Memory Managment, because it wouldn't run on DOS 5 with the CD Driver loaded into memory. Now that I think about it, I had to upgrade my whole system for that game. I remember that I bought a new motherboard with an AMD 486 DX100, and I told the guy that I was buying it to run Ultima Underworld. That game rocked!