Battlefield Vietnam

Ouch... to say the least, well,looks like they wanted to kick their own asses? that could have been their goal you know....

Either way, i got a very very bad impression of the game.

Edit: heh, that guy is very creative, isn't he? i found myself laughing a lot after seeing his anti EA games pro UT2K4 advertisement, and the last 2 pictures in the first post too... lol!!!

The GameSpy review is up too. Its rubbish. The game is good, but that review makes it seem better than it really is.

The game is really not such a big leap that it couldn't have been an add-on for BF:1942. Or at the very least, priced as a minor sequel (e.g. $29.99), similar to how Novalogic priced Sabre Team (truly sub-par), the add-on to Black Hawk Down. I suspect that its going to see a price drop inside of two weeks, down to $29.99 (or less) - especially with the juggernaut that is going to be UT2K4 (damn, this game is cool).

I don't understand how everyone raves about ut2k4. Its EXACTLY the same game as 2k3, which sucked IMO. Especially their "balance changes" they made from the orignial UT (make every gun suck except for the rocket launcher). It's even the same engine as 2k3, they just added some trashy BF rip-off vehicles and said "New game! $50 please!" I, for one, won't be buying 2K4.

Seriously, I would barely count 2K4 to be a mod, let alone a stand-alone game. 2K4 has brought absolutely nothing new to the table. It's another generic Quake 3 rehash, with some elements stolen from other games (vehicles). Wow! That's amazing! Also, I noticed a lot of the people on that post are talking about how polished 2K4 is, which is not exactly a great accomplishment considering all they did was take an already polished game, add a new game mode, and call it a new game.

Its the Onslaught mode DeepFreeze. Have you actually played the demo for UT2k4 on onslaught yet? IMO its better than tribes; and in its hayday I used to spend about 36 hours a week playing tribes (it was summertime).

Its all about the onslaught mode; its fast paced teamplay gaming, and the general gaming public seems to like that, just look at CS and HL.

Maybe I'm just your typical jaded gamer, but I played the UT2K4 demo (which is how I know its the exact same thing as 2K3, which I sadly payed money for)and I didn't find onslaught to be particularly impressive.

Also, Tribes (not that gutter trash that is known as Tribes 2) is probably the most godly first-person shooter of ALL time. But after buying 2K3, I really can't justify buying 2K4, because the only difference is one lackluster game mode. They didn't even change the weapons! That's just plain LAZY!

I'll probably pick up BV, mostly because I played BF42 a hell of a lot and I really liked it (haven't played it in almost a year now though) and because some buddies of mine are forming a clan.

I'm going to pass on UT2k4, I played UT2k3 for about a week, played the 2k4 demo for about 2 hours. Same old same old IMHO. I think the original UT was still the best of that lot (at least I played it a lot longer and had waaaay more fun.)

The other game mentioned, Tribes, kicked azz and I don't see why so many people bash Tribes2. It was a great game too and I played it for a very long time. I loved being a Shrike pilot...damn that was cool.

Probably going to skip Battlefield Vietnam unless major mods are produced for it. I have been playing Galactic Conquest the Star Wars Mod for BF1942 and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Anyone that hasn't played GC yet should give it a try.

Peace

well it's not too bad , the small interface changes (less com options ,etc) and some new vehicles were refreshing i've enjoyed it twice as much as bf1942 it's not a major leap from the original but it's still more original then other seemingly exact fps sequals (UT 2004 , Counter strike : condition zero ,etc) in which some so petty modifications to the original are added it should be illegal to put a 50$ tag on them.

quote:

Originally posted by Takvah:

Probably going to skip Battlefield Vietnam unless major mods are produced for it. I have been playing Galactic Conquest the Star Wars Mod for BF1942 and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Anyone that hasn't played GC yet should give it a try.

Peace

I tried GC when it came out, thought it was pretty cool. Have they added any more maps yet Tak?

Tribes 2, on its own merit, was actually a pretty good game, but the reason people bash it so much is because when we heard there was going to be a sequel to the absolutely beyond-awesome Tribes, we were all expecting the second coming of christ(Disclaimer: It's not my intention to start a religious debate). The problem with tribes 2 was a couple things. It was buggy as all hell, and they completely changed the feel of it. Tribes was an adrenaline-pumped jetpacking disc-launching frenzy and then comes along tribes 2, which is a very slow, plodding game, which required an excessive amount of teamwork, thus making pubbing near useless. Basically what I mean is, it wasn't what Tribes 2 was supposed to be. It was like...some other game that was pretending to look like Tribes. It felt I was playing America's Army with jetpacks. On top of that, they ruined skiing, dueling became a ruined art because everyone vehicle-whored every game, the maps were way too big, but whats most important: I absolutely hate what they did to the chaingun!!! I mean come on! It sounds like a rapid-fire spitball gun, not the roaring beast that we knew from tribes 1!

I liked both Tribes games and now you've made me want to reinstall those puppies. Damn you and your intrusions upon my time!

Dunno if they added maps on the GC mod, this is the first I've played it with the release of client pack 21 a few days ago. In between multiplay of UC, racking up credits trading to build the ultimate carrier in single play and real life I like to pound a few bevvys and then whack a few prepubescents that have an incessant need to refer to everything as "gay" *laughs*. "You rammed me with the Millenium Falcon... so gay!"

So I got BFVN yesterday and played the hell out of it. I like it. Nothing to write home about, but it does what it does well. It doesn't feel much like Vietnam (I think Vetcong did a better job of that), but the foliage and terrain is pretty sweet. Sniping is awesome now with all that cover I died a lot too, due to unseen enemies and all the damn foliage, but I guess that's the "Vietnam" part.

I'd say if you liked BF42 you'll like BFVN, that is unless you're sick of the BF series.

Tak - The only map GC had when released was Hoth. I'm guessing they have a few more now.

If the bots were not pathetic, like I knew they would be, then I would consider buying BFV. You would think they could have made improvements on them from the original, but they behave poorly as ever.

As for UT2K3 and UT2K4, there is just too much. I get the feeling someone is trying too hard to impress. They got it right with UT creating an awesome gaming experience; then create UT2K3 changing some mechanics of the original's gameplay and generally adding too many unnecessary extras. You want a success story to go off of? Half-life and Counterstrike. Counterstrike is just a mod! And if we are not limited to FPS... Diablo and Diablo 2. Infact, all of Blizzard's games have a similar 'feel' to them; you need look no further for a good example.

Oh well, UT is still great fun. Maybe they will learn by UT2K5

quote:

Originally posted by Dambreville:

If the bots were not pathetic, like I knew they would be, then I would consider buying BFV. You would think they could have made improvements on them from the original, but they behave poorly as ever.

True, but BF has always been primarily an online game. The bots/singleplay aren't really needed and wouldn't be missed if they nixxed it.

Yeah there are around 6 maps, maybe one or two more than that. There is a lot of vehicular action on half of them and then the other half is more about transportation to battle and then on foot to cap territories. I think you'll be pleased.

As for BFV, I like Eve of Destruction just fine when I need my Vietnam fix in BF1942.

Later

BFV is excellent except for a few issues. There is currently al ot of lag on MP servers. Also the Americans M60 is way to accurate and powerful, it results in the majority of Americans carrying the M60 instead of the other kits. Its accurate enough to snipe with. Hopefully these problems will be resolved in a patch.

Well... it's still got players if that's what you mean - so does the original Tribes which I liked a little better. Here's hoping they can revive the franchise with this new game they are making - though if they ignore MP I'll be pretty upset.

• 1 month later...