Terminus : Nutty old Parias needs your help!

Parias

Well, either this was co-incidental with a regular Windows 98 SE fu**-up (pardon the bluntness, I'm a tad pissy) or Vicarious Visions just set themselves up to recieve an earful from me... either way, here's my problem.

Nabbed the Terminus demo that was released this morning.. just finished downloading as of 30 minutes ago, so I installed it, configured it, and ran it. Went through a self-playing demo for a bit... then crashed mysteriously at the end with first an illegal op in the program itself, then an error in Kernel32.dll (module User.Dll or something if I remember right). No problem, happens occasionally, reboot right? Wrong.

Restarted my comp, and it brought up the startup listing (the thing that pops up when you hit F8 when it says "Starting Windows 98...") stating at the bottom that there was an error detected in my registry/configuration and to boot up from the Command prompt and run scanreg.exe. This was where I started to get a tad concerned. Hit "Normal Startup", let it load.. then it informed me that "Registry Services will be inoperative". My "WTF?" synapses were firing.. and then they went into overload as Windows proudly informed me the following:

"While initializing device VKD:

Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer.

Error: Could not execute SBECFG.EXE

Press any key to continue...."

Pressing any key resulted in my computer switching itself off. Upon rebooting a second time, it gave me the same error on the startup menu. I hit "Command Prompt Only" this time, booted into DOS, and ran Scanreg per it asking. I ran through the process (which seemed to consist of little more than backing up my configuration, which doesn't help me because my current configuration is classified as "completely fux0red") and then dumped me at a prompt again. Shrugging, I rebooted for a third time. Gave me the same startup menu error yet AGAIN. Hit "Normal", and this time it ran Scanreg on it's own, and proceeded to fail to boot up again with the same errors. GARGH!

This is really cheesing me off, because I've got all my important crap on there, and being unable to even get into Windows via Safe mode (tried it) isn't very good for my day. I also tried manually booting up from my Windows 98 CD (you can tell it to boot from the CD in your BIOS on a lot of systems), no go. I've tried a boot disk, didn't do anything.. since it boots me into DOS. I'm considering just re-installing over top of my current installation, but that's a last resort presently.. I'm not exactly up to wanting to corrupt something important and being forced to format my HD or something.... heh.

So, I turn to you guys. My resident "Can fix anything I damn want to" tech expert is out at the moment, and I'd really like to get back and going with this system.. I'm presently typing from my older P233, with my mom's Ergonomic keyboard that's stressing my hands to hell and back again smile.gif Not to mention the lack of a Razer Boomslang 2000 is just plain nuts!

So, anyways, I'll await your replies.. hopefully someone can offer something helpful.. heh. Do it for me guys! Do it for the Insurgency! Yes, even if you're Galcom... *evil psychotic laughter*

Thanks. Oh, and apologies if I sound a tad incoherent, but it's not every day that your best friend in the whole world suddenly "stops working" smile.gif

Edit: Oh, before I forget, SBECFG.Exe is a part of the DOS driver for my SB Live! Value.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 06-19-2000).]

Have you tried booting it to "Safe Mode?"

I'm no PC expert, but maybe it can fix itself when in safe mode. Safe mode disables most of the drivers and gives you a minimal system. If that comes up correctly, then shut down and boot it back up normally and see what happens.

I'm no espert either, and do this only if ABSOULTLY NOTHING ELSE works. Go into DOS, copy all important documents onto floppies, and wipe your hard drive using FDISK. Stick the boot disk into the drive, shut off your computer, turn your computer back on, and reinstall Windows.

Something similar like this (error loop) happened to me somewhat recently, and after I tried eveything else, I did the above. Just put as much onto floppies (or zip disks if you got 'em) as you can. Often times game save files are too big for floppies, so kiss them goodbye. If there is an absolutley critical document that is to big for a floppy and can be found nowhere else, go get a zip drive or something familiar (and DOS compatible!)

Lastly, let out a good cry. You will be unable to salvage your bookmarks, that monster download that took you three weeks, BC high score, all that. But please remember that the websites are still there, the games may be played again, and that 400mb demo wasn't that much fun anyway.

Once again, DO NOT DO ANY OF THE ABOVE UNLESS YOU HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE. Wait around this topic for a week or six, and see if something comes out that works.

Hope your "best friend" gets well soon.

wtf is this doing on my board? Why don't you go and post it on their board?

Apart from that, if you can't boot into Safe Mode, you're screwed. Nothing could be simpler than that. Next time, when you get your system up, do what normal people: get a program that makes backups of the registry. I personally use WinRescue from superwin.com and it has saved my butt many times.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 06-19-2000).]

Sorry to hear about your friend. I mean, sorry to hear that your best friend is your PC, that's so sad (just kidding).

What I'd do is the following. Make a DOS boot disk and include the INTERLNK.EXE and INTERSVR.EXE files in it. Go grab a parallel cable and connect your PC to your old P233. Boot both machines with the DOS disk and start the InterLink. Copy everything you need over to your P233. Install Windows all over again. And as long as you're reinstalling stuff you might consider installing LINUX too, so that you have at least one real OS in your computer wink.gif

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

Thanks for your help everyone.. fortunately, I believe I've managed to fix the problem. Unfortunately, I now need to re-install just about every program I use on a normal basis.. bleh!

SC: Thanks for the link, I'm gonna nab that program shortly and keep it handy. As for posting it here, I know how well you guys all are with trouble shooting, so.. hehe. Although I AM presently throwing together a hefty complaint to post on their forums.. if this is just what the demo did, I'm afraid to install the full version! Of course, it could have just been some critical failure resulting from my blatantly overloaded registry that somehow collapsed everything after loading just ONE more program in there.. but either way, I managed to fix it by re-installing Win98 over my present installation, so I'm back and kicking now. Thanks for all your assistance everyone! ...Now to start razzing for that CD burner so I can back up everything... I've only got 400 megs free on this 10 gig HD! Sad, I know ...

Lock the thread if you desire, I'll store all the responses I got here just in-case this happens again, which I'm hoping it won't smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 06-19-2000).]

heh I tried it too...

we have no worries folks.

In fact from what I've seen of the demo, I'd rate it below Tachyon, Freespace 2 and Starlancer. I even thought "X"-BTF was much better.

oh well... yet another disappointment...

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

Spectre Fleet

Pre. comm. Cmdr. New America StarStation

ICV Gummy 1

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

Well, since this is starting to turn into a "rate Terminus demo" thread, I may as well post my 0.02 smile.gif After devouring massive loads of crack, I decided it would be a good idea to re-install it again and maybe get a look at how good it really was (yeah, after what just happened, I'm still crazy enough to re-install it). And thus far, all I can say that even _I_ could probably throw together better voice acting with my $2 microphone from Radio Shack! And those graphics need some serious work... man!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Uncle Rattler" sez DON'T rush out there and buy it! I promised them over at the Terminus board, way back when, that I'd give it an honest shake. Well, If the rest of the game is as good as the demo......Pardon me while I delete this off of my machine! Only good thing I have to say about it is that my Saitek Set works great in the game! Graphics totally suck, In game voice creates an even greater vaccuum, and man where are the in-ship dials and gages that I'd expect to see? Interceptors in BC3k beat this load of waste to death!

'Nuff Said!"

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Still Kickin' after all these years!"

Guest Ron Wallin

OOOOHHHH! SC, why do you play with us this way! Extravehicular sniping! AAAHHH smile.gif

------------------

Flt. Cmdr. Akira

Spectre

ICV-Nevermore

Official Tester

Battlecruiser Series

Well I thought the demo was just cool. And XBTF better than this? I don't think so unless your idea of pretty graphics concern you about XBTF. Although it does not have the large scale of the BC universe in the sense of exploration gameplay and whatnot and every other gameplay feature BC series and upcoming sequels will have, I give it high points for its realism which made I-War its high praise plus a nice HUD. Yeah yeah, it copied the concept that BC first started with persistent universe and whatnot, but what the heck do want in the end, scripted missions again? Granted this ranks below any BC game but I have to disagree by the above post stating this isn't better than Tachyon, Starlancer and even XBTF. Can you say "scripted missions"? Wait until the full version and then decide. Yeah yeah some of you will want to flame me and some will agree with me but hey, its my opinion and I said it. In the end it all comes down to gameplay.

------------------

"Live forever apes!."

Cmdr. Kron

Spectre Fleet

ICV Vanguard

Come on Parias. Voice acting and graphics on terminus are not the main points about this game. Its about gameplay.

------------------

"Live forever apes!."

Cmdr. Kron

Spectre Fleet

ICV Vanguard

Oh yeah correction, Elite first started the concept of "persistent universe".

------------------

"Live forever apes!."

Cmdr. Kron

Spectre Fleet

ICV Vanguard

True point Dark, but as I say, if you're gonna put it in there, at least try and do a good job.. heh.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

Well I'm not much of a talented writer like most of you in the RP forum but I do my best to make my point and that's all I wanna do.

------------------

"Live forever apes!."

Cmdr. Kron

Spectre Fleet

ICV Vanguard

Well all of the other games that I would rate better than this demo have at least one area where they have excelled.

Tachyon had good sound, good graphics, excellent voice acting and a reasonbly immersive universe.

Starlancer, while scripted, has excellent graphics and sound. Missions were good although it seemed more like naval warfare than space combat. (not a bad thing)

Freespace 2 has excellent graphics and although its the same "launch - fly - shoot " formula, it was at least well done.

"X" BTF... well if you could get past the very slow start, had a few good points. The music and 3D sound were good and I have yet to see a game where the ship upgrades had more of an effect on gameplay.

Well ok.. maybe saying that X is better may be a bit harsh...but from what I've seen of the Terminus demo...

The training mission voice it terribly done, the quality and volume fade in and out. They would have been better off using text based instructions.

Graphics.. blah... low res and very few details on anything... and no ship cockpit?

Gameplay seems really slow too.. maybe it just takes time getting used to realistic physics, maybe its just slow...

I'll turn the voice effects all the way down and give it another try, but if the demo is indicative of the full game then I won't be buying this one..

I was really looking forward to this game, and so far I'm really disappointed. Too many things poorly done... ah well

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

Spectre Fleet

Pre. comm. Cmdr. New America StarStation

ICV Gummy 1

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

[This message has been edited by Andergum (edited 06-20-2000).]

DarkHorizon

quote:

Yeah yeah, it copied the concept that BC first started with persistent universe and whatnot, but what the heck do want in the end, scripted missions again?

You don't know that, because its not modeled in the demo. Have to wait for the full version.

quote:

Oh yeah correction, Elite first started the concept of "persistent universe".

Unless you don't know what a PU is, Elite did not have one. Ever. BC3K v1.0 was the first title, ever, to sport a true persistent universe.

Anyway, noboby is going to flame anyone over their opinions of a competing product. If I see it, I'm banning that person. No exceptions. People have different tastes and we are all sci-fi fans.

IMHO, even though I never considered Terminus as true competition because its basically a shooter more than anything else, it is not even a B-rated game. IMHO, there is nothing innovative about it. As for flight dynamics. Sure, its cool, but I-War did it better and it looked prettier to boot. At the end of the day, it will have its fans but if they sell anything near 15K units of that game, they'll be lucky. Its just not going to happen. Period. The Linux and Mac versions will help somewhat in reaching those numbers. But, like X:BTF, it started like it was going to be a bang, but ended up in a fizzle.

For one thing, Klingon Academy is going to walk all over it. They're due out around the same time. They were smart to defer the shipping in order to not get caught in the Tachyon/Starlancer blitz. Now that would've been painful, to say the least.

If you go over to atfw.net and look at the database of upcoming space games, each and everyone, will most likely surpass Terminus in some area or another.

This game's reviews and judgement calls, will be based on personal opinion and nothing else. It does not have the star power that a triple-A title needs. And these days, if you're not doing triple-A quality games, unless you have a fan base or a serious marketing blitz, it won't sell. Period.

I have always favored gameplay over graphics and I still do. But, from the demo, there is no gameplay in Terminus that offsets the mediocre graphics. BC3K v2.0 had the same problem, but there is so much to do in it, that you forget about the graphics (especially if you are using a 3Dfx card). Flight dynamics have nothing to do with gameplay.

If anything, Terminus is competiting with BC3K v2.0x. It doesn't stand a chance against anything else, let alone BCM.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 06-20-2000).]

Well you pretty much said it all SC. Very good points. Elite was just a copy of its own universe in every star system anyway. BC is the real persistent universe game hands down. I appreciate many space combat games for never letting the genre die off but none can surpass that level of advanced gameplay that the BC series offers and that's all I got to say about that.

------------------

"Live forever apes!."

Cmdr. Kron

Spectre Fleet

ICV Vanguard

Guest Lightnin'

I don't know, I thought the Terminus demo was pretty cool. It was pretty fun, and I liked the handling of the ship. Another BIG plus was that it ran really well on my system, without having to wait for patches. It also had the BEST user interface I've seen; I was up and running in minutes!

The only complaint I have about it is that the graphics seem kinda washed out, but that may be my video card!

Heh, yo Parias, saw your response to loserman's subject on BC3000ad on the terminus site. Our very own insurgent pointing out that the BC series did it first with the persistent universe. Hehe, now Karthik wants a piece of the action. BTW, did you convince loserman to join the insurgency?

------------------

"Live forever apes!."

Cmdr. Kron

Spectre Fleet

ICV Vanguard