FBI launches massive antipiracy raids

Hi SC

I concur, piracy in the IT industry has gone on far too long.

Why have they waited this long to act?

These rings of pirates have been operating for years, why now and not 3-5 years ago.

This has cost ALL developers millions of dollars.

As an aside.

I have noticed that there seems to be an inordinate number of programs, cracks and hacks on certain Russian and other East European sites. When will these be targeted?

Also China appears to be copying anything and everything these days.

I have found you get what you pay for in life.

If it is free it is neither valued or enjoyed.

Cheers

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Somerset:

If guys don't pay for sex, then why in the hell do we have to buy a woman dinner, gifts, and such in order to sleep with them?

SLEEP with them.....?

You should waste valuable and hardly payed time in this way....

Guest Fox__Trot

*sigh* cut the off topic stuff *sigh*

Anyways I dont see a problem here there STILL targeting the organizations and not the PERSON doing the downloading

see you scared people into stopping mp3s because now it was their ass on the line....

Go after the people doing the downloading and redistribution and then you'll scare people away from it

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

*sigh* cut the off topic stuff *sigh*

Anyways I dont see a problem here there STILL targeting the organizations and not the PERSON doing the downloading

see you scared people into stopping mp3s because now it was their ass on the line....

Go after the people doing the downloading and redistribution and then you'll scare people away from it

I agree some what they need to attack this at both points. If they attack the source and demand it will have a major impact. I hope they stick with it this time its gone on for way to long and ruined the work of alot of deserving developers.

We would have a few more independents out there now if they could actually make money for their hard work.

Guest Fox__Trot

No im talking about scareing the population into beliveing the whole "Dont pay now pay more later" theme that way people will have a reason to STOP distributing games,movies,tv shows (Excluding japense anime thats been fansub'd) and the like over programs like bit torrents and such

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

No im talking about scareing the population into beliveing the whole "Dont pay now pay more later" theme that way people will have a reason to STOP distributing games,movies,tv shows (Excluding japense anime thats been fansub'd) and the like over programs like bit torrents and such

Your right as I said no disagreement here.

When I first heard about this I got mad that the FBI was arresting cracking groups... then a friend told me they also pirate the games... and that's why they crack them. That sucks. Personally, I crack all my games... with 500+ titles on my shelves I get really pissy when I track down a box & CD to play a game I legitimately own... then the games *still* sometimes have problems, forcing you to eject and reinsert the CD a dozen times before it accepts it. On top of that, modern copy protection schemes often have an adverse effect on game performance. Look at Prince of Persia, 75% speed increase when cracked/fixed. IMO, online registration/authentication is a much better way to protect your game. Enough people have the internet now that it makes more sense... and when a game becomes obsolete, release a patch that removes the online authentication.

quote:

If guys don't pay for sex, then why in the hell do we have to buy a woman dinner, gifts, and such in order to sleep with them?

If not having to jump through such hoops means not getting laid I consider it a bargain.

I do those things because I enjoy doing them not to achieve a desired end result.

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Somerset:

...oh man, lets not go there. Take it over to the politics and religion forum