Silent Hunter III

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

Still doesnt answer my question..how does this game compare to Hunter Killer?

Sorry, I can't answer that from personal experience since I've never played Hunter Killer. It's the only sub game I've never played. But from reading up on Hunter Killer it seems to be more micro managment oriented like Sonalyst's Sub Command (which I do have and played). I guess you can say it's like comparing Battlecruiser to other space sims.

I just started playing. Initial impression is WOW! The game seems to be everything that SH2 should have been but also wrapped in some pretty impressive graphics. Its not perfect, but a major step in the right direction. And this is just from messing around in the Naval Academy (tutorial) for a couple of hours.

It lacks friendly AI based uboats so no wolfpacks. The campaign seems promising and it has what looks like a powerful mission editor. The copy protection sucks. It even verifies the disc when running the mission editor. Paranoia is running rampart at Ubisoft.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

The copy protection sucks. It even verifies the disc when running the mission editor. Paranoia is running rampart at Ubisoft.

From what I've been reading around the net is that SH3 is using Starforce 3 protection. Oy vey. Please keep us appraised of any computer issues you encounter since installing the game. I was going to pick this game up tomorrow but I'll think I will wait until I see anyone with/without major problems with this copy protection that many many others have had. Thanks.

I picked it up today and have no problem whatsoever running it. You can check my sig for my system specs.

There was also a bunch of people whining that SH3 will only let you install 5 times. I found clarification on the SH3 website forum. According to the developers, the 5 install limit is only applicable to the digital download version. If you have the DVD-Rom version, you can reistall as many times as you want without any limitations.

quote:

Originally posted by ShoHashi:

I picked it up today and have no problem whatsoever running it. You can check my sig for my system specs.

There was also a bunch of people whining that SH3 will only let you install 5 times. I found clarification on the SH3 website forum. According to the developers, the 5 install limit is only applicable to the digital download version. If you have the DVD-Rom version, you can reistall as many times as you want without any limitations.

Cool, thanks for the follow up. Maybe I will pick it up tomorrow. Don't think I've bought a game with that starforce protection. The only one I'm aware of that's been with the games I've used is the safedisk.

Was just a little worried about it because a lot of people (not with SH3) have been having a bad time with starforce to the point of calling it like a virus or just crippleware. When you uninstall the game/program, the starforce doesn't get uninstalled with it. Quite a few people have had to do fresh OS installs also to clear it up because it was interfering with other programs etc... But that could be due to some not knowing what they are doing. We all know those kind of people.

As for the 5 time limit. First time I'm hearing about that. But it makes sense that it doesn't involve the DVD version. More of some people not knowing what they are doing.

Wiping the sweat off my forehead, the game installed with no problem and works great. It's finally nice to see actually people on the decks of those ships. Haven't sunk (heh) my teeth into the game yet, will do that later on. But from what I've seen so far, I'm going to have a blast.

quote:

Originally posted by jamotto:

quote:

Wiping the sweat off my forehead, the game installed with no problem and works great.

Was there ever a chance that it wouldn't? I have not read any problems to date on install issues.

Yes, there's been sporatic complaints about the starforce 3 copy protection as well as past complaints (of other games using this copy protection) causing major problems. There's even a warning (quite small I might add needed to use magnifying glass to read it) about CD-rw and DVD-rw compatibility and virtual drives.

One example: SimHq: Help!!! DVD Rom won't read the disc..

Anyway, just finished a single mission and what can I say but WOW what a game. Not only game play but graphics too. What more can a PC gamer ask for.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

True the Graphics are awesome. I seems to have graphics glitch though with some screens. The waves are very nice though.

For those who are interested. I bought i pocket book i think about 10 years ago and i thought this

was the right time to read it [ it was shelved al this time ]. It called Submarine commander by Paul R. Scratch [ isbn 0-671-68466-3 - something like 380 pages ] it's a very informative book and it shows how it was really like in a sub during the WII years and later on. Nice historical read.

quote:

Originally posted by Mano Faber:

For those who are interested. I bought i pocket book i think about 10 years ago and i thought this

was the right time to read it [ it was shelved al this time ]. It called Submarine commander by Paul R. Scratch [ isbn 0-671-68466-3 - something like 380 pages ] it's a very informative book and it shows how it was really like in a sub during the WII years and later on. Nice historical read.

If you liked that book you might try and find U-Boat Commander by Peter Cremer [iSBN 0-87021-969-3] it was interesting to read something from a skipper who was there.