Copy Protection Gone Awry!!

Star-Force.com Take a look at the picture on the top right. Could this be a guy having trouble with starForce and throwing his hands up in the air because of it and the other two are laughing at him because he wouldn't believe them when they told him that he would have trouble.

BTW: Thanks SC for that information. Now I have to look when I install current or new stuff on my system. Maybe that's why I was having problems in the first place. Since reinstalling windows on my system two weeks ago I've not installed anything else but for UC (just lazy with the other stuff) and I've checked and there is no StarForce on my system.

I hate starforce. I've had my share of bad experiences with it from Gangland; a game that is now sitting on my shelves because of the Starforce junk...

I agree with developers who put copy-protections in games; unfortunately its needed at this point in time, but its bizarre that a copy protection would include device drivers that you cannot uninstall (even though device manager... Gangland did not uninstall Starforce when I uninstalled it the first time.)

It should be illegal to install stuff to your hard disk that cannot be uninstalled by normal methods. (Including Spyware, Malware, & device drivers; since PnP I've never had a problem uninstalling a device driver in windows) Damn if I'll let lawmakers make a law for that though... I can just see how Microsoft could lobby for something that would hurt Linux.

Originally posted by StarForce:

quote:

We don't protect games ourselves; we provide tools for applying protection to the release version of the game or other software. In addition, we're providing facilities to install drivers, update or uninstall them. Game publishers decide to use them or not.

And... I wonder if the developer has a say in the matter, or does the publisher just go ahead and riddle the game with botched copy-protection software. Wouldn't the devs then take some of the flak when a flood of e-mails come in asking why the game won't install/start?

Might wan't to check with DC just to be sure