DRIV3R CONTROVERSY RAISES QUESTIONS FOR GAMES MEDIA

I think that opinion is pretty spot on, SC.

Hence my reasoning for not trusting game reviews.

And one of the main reasons that I don't like console gaming.

If the game is stamped and shipped incomplete and full of bugs, the buyer has no way of obtaining what was paid for, instead being left holding the bag and the flashlight, waiting for the snipes to appear.

A console game can't be patched and sending out millions of patched discs to disappointed gamers is not monetarily feasible for any publisher.

So, we have a catch 22 here for developers and publishers. IE: If a game gets bad reviews, it won't sell.

If a game has blatant bugs in it and doesn't work as intended, hardcore console gamers are going to find out about it and steer clear of making a purchase.

If a developer/publisher is betting the farm on one game, they are going to do whatever they can to sell it, even if it means bribing a few reviewers and screwing the unsuspecting consumer. I have seen this underhanded (sell and forget) tactic used too many times with PC games. Why would console games be any different?

I wish you great success with your first foray into console gaming, SC.

Your success will be riding on the backs of whomever is testing the game, and if the publisher keeps everything above board.

Considering recent events, do you think Dreamcatcher will?

Driver has been one of my favourite car series from Driver 1. I own Driver for the PC and have *coughstolecough* a friend's copy of Driver 2. I cannot wait for Driv3r to be released just because I am a major fan of the series.

I don't need reviews to decide my purchases.

And reviews should be put together against each other so that they may be on average with everyone that has done them. Basing a puchase on one review is not the best thing to do ever...

If I used reviews to see if I should purchase UC, I probably wouldn't have it now.