video card, the old question

Cruis.In

Hey currently I have an ATi rage 128 pro. 16 mb ram. I AM looking to upgrade in the near future...(not only for bc:m, though that is a good reason smile.gif

what are your suggestions?

Currently I'm leaning toward, ATi radeon...or GeForce/II...or voodoo5

your input is valuable please input!

thanks!

------------------

Captain Cruis In

ICV Defiance, Sygan Starstation (Sygan)

CEO, Sygan Starstation

Balor Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

I posted this on another forum, plus seeing other people respond to similar types of messages, most I've got is voodoo5, I was happy with my voodoo2. I might have the money but damn that 64meg radeon is expensive!

------------------

Captain Cruis In

CEO, Sygan Starstation

Balor Fleet

Im told the voodoo5 has great anti-aliasing.

A chance to get rid of those stairway lines at last?

------------------

Captain Cruis In

CEO, Sygan Starstation

Balor Fleet

or you can try a Geforce 2 GTS.. it outperforms both radeon and voodoo5 in overall performance. Voodoo5 has higher fillrate, that's true but you need a powerful processor to back it up (500+)..

if you're looking for downward compatibility (but no upward) you can go for Voodoo (whatever it's number is).

If you're into TV tuners and stuff like that, Radeon is the best choice , but from what I've tested , its performance in games is a wee bit below the Geforce 1 SDR.

Anti-aliasing isn't everything, you know? Can you compare a 10.000 polygon anti-aliased image with a 57000 polygon non-AA-ed image ? it's just an optical illusion smile.gif

"Uncle Rattler" owns a Voodoo5, 5500. I'm not a bit displeased. 'Nuff Said! wink.gif

------------------

Insurgent One, Rattler

ICV Necromancer, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Actually, Vaipa, at 32bit color, NOTHING beat the Raedon. Hehe, but who am I to speak. I've still got an original 16mb Riva TNT. I'm happy with it. But I'm looking and waiting.

I'd love to have a Raedon, but don't have that kind of cash for a video card (especially when i could upgrade my cpu or get a 19" monitor for the same price).

Anyway, Cruise.In, if you can afford it, go for the Raedon. The Voodoo5 is nice, but it's long in the tooth as far as vid cards go. I'd wait for the Voodoo5 6000 if I were going with the 3DFX.

thanks for all the input guys. Prices for radeon are way expensive, I think I will just hold off of buying altogether for a few more months, see what prices drop and whatelse comes down the line.

------------------

Captain Cruis In

CEO, Sygan Starstation

Balor Fleet

• 4 years later...

and alas... we are here again. what video card.

I am not sticking to just ATI, this time, I've heard people raving about some new geforce 6800 card or something? anyhow...

here are the choices...

Radeon X300 , X800, X700, X600, 9800 XT...

I do have a budget, but I will increase the funds if a slight price increase, means a greater increase in performance.

I knew about the x800 cards but had not heard about the inbetweens besides the x300... I just thought it was these companies weird way of naming their products that caused the skip between x300 and x800, as I only saw adverts for those two...

x800 kind of expensive... I like the x600 or x700 and the pci express arcitechture anyway because of easier upgrades?

im looking to play games like hl2, and stuff at 1024*32 with a decent frame rate, if you could help me narrow down the card I need, along with various experiences you may have had with either of them... or heard of them etc... statistics... thanks...

Good God this is an old post...

I've seen both the x800 and the 6800, and speeds vary from game to game. Personally, I would go with a 6800. While I love my Radeon, its getting to the point where some games have glitches that I hadn't noticed before now. The 6800 is also a bit easier to tweak if it has difficulties with a game. RBR is the first thing I can think of; Richard Burns Rally at release had a terrible stutter problem with the faster cards. The 6800 users were able to just throw a switch in an overclocking program (it didn't overclock it) and the Radeon users are still waiting for a patch from ATI or the developer.

You'll be able to run HL2 at 1024x768x32 fine with both of the cards, so that really isn't an issue. If you're going PCI express though, remember that this is a different motherboard architecture completely. Also, both cards are going to require at least a 400w powersupply; I'd go with a 450w just in case.

I'm looking at upgrading my card as well, and looking at the 6800 since its A)Cheaper B)Multi-platform Supported and C)Nvidia - They seem to support their users more at this point in time.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Miller:

Whatever you do, stay away from the x300, it is the bargain basement card for the x series, and isn't much better than the Radeon card you now have.

i personaly have found the x300 to be more than enough for every game i play. other people may get different mileage than i do though, from what ive heard

Ive been looking at speed comparisons for ram in the various cards, measured in gb/s. I saw one card I think the latest x850 XT, with 28.0 gb/s and a radeon 9800 pro with 12 gb/s so... I know a radeon 9800 pro is enough to play any game out there with the decent settings I suggested, so imagine a card with that 28 gb/s should last for years...

Im thinking trying a geforce for once... ill be buying by december 30th.