Microsoft SideWinder Game Voice

Gryphon

Sooooooooooo...anyone tried this yet?

The headphones seem to be fairly high quality, ditto the microphone. The control-puck thing is a wonderful idea, and it seems able to broadcast clearly enough that I can make out what people are saying - so long as I choose to broadcast at the highest quality setting.

My problem is the sheer amount of bandwidth it sucks up. If you have a 56K and tend to play bandwidth hogs like Everquest or UT, kiss your ping goodbye - even at the lowest quality setting. I'm a little miffed at MS for advertising something to the masses when it should be strictly for high-speed access users.

Still, damn good idea. smile.gif

Game Commander w/ a decent headset/mic setup is much better than MS product. Aside from mices I tend to stear clear from MS hardware products. I refuse to add to Billy Goats portfolio value.

A good free VON product is Battlecom. Low bandwidth usage and decent communication quiality - dependant on one's connection type/speed.

TTFN

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 09-23-2000).]

Yeah, I looked at it, but being like Gallion, I'm warry of MS hardware. It looked great. Being able to preprogram messages into the puck is a great thing, as I'm constantly having to rearrange my keyboard layout for Counter-Strike to accomadate near instant messages.

The mic and headset looked good too. Too bad it turns out to be a bandwidth hog.

Perhaps the perfect device would be a headset microphone combo that included something I could bite down on or toggle with my tounge to give "canned" messages to those unable to spare bandwidth for voice. As it stands both my hands are tied up.

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

Game Commander w/ a decent headset/mic setup is much better than MS product. Aside from mices I tend to stear clear from MS hardware products. I refuse to add to
B
illy
G
oats portfolio value.

Heh. Gallion, I believe it is in fact Battlecom that MS purchased and rewrote for use in the game voice smile.gif

The product, to me, is okay. I'm happy MS released the puck, however, and I think its a damn good innovation. I hope developers can start making use of it somehow... I get a real kick out of telling my ships in Homeworld what formation I want them in, for example. Being able to tell my marines in BCM to kick some ass would be damn cool smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Macon De'Witt

Your right MS did buy Battlecom. The main diffrence is that the MS vewrsion takes advantage of directx. SO far in our experiments the MS version is better but Im holding onto my copy of Battlecom just in case.

------------------

CMDR Macon De'Witt

GVC-Dark Flight STARPATH(MARS)

Prime Fleet

S56 Comander,Epsilon Wing

"A good insurgant is a dead insurgant ~ I never met an insurgant I didn't like"

Well, the question is still not answered. Here's what I want:

1. easy to use buttons that I can configure to deliver "canned" text elements to my teammates.
  2. A headset mic combo that works reasonably well with whatever voice comm program i choose.
  3. A product that doesn't use a buttload of system resources to do something that seperate parts would do without the system drain.

The puck and headset look cool, but damn if I don't trust MS to create something that works well with it's own OS frown.gif

If anyone knows of anything that will give me what I want under Win2K I'd appreciate the response smile.gif

------------------

Insurgent Two, Akira

ICV Nevermore, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Minister of War,

Insurgency

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

ICQ 13379858

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"