Nvidia buys 3DFX!!!!

Andergum

HOLY COW!!!

Just read over at voodooextreme.com that Nvidia has bought 3DFX!!!!!

Talk about a monopoly!!!!

------------------

Vice Admiral Andergum

ICV Gummy 1, New America StarStation (Midae)

Fleet Leader - Eversor Fleet

http://www.firstworld.net/~andergum/

ICQ # 215323

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series.

[RANT MODE ON]

******* I hate this shit! Microsoft buys Hotmail, AOL buys ICQ and Netscape, CNet buys ZDNet, nVidia buys 3DFX...all the companies I use and support keep getting absorbed by their competitors. Whatever happened to choice? Compitition? Large, unweildy, unfriendly corperations with more money than sense keep buying out the small, efficant, creative innovators. Why bother to compete when you can just throw money around and buy everything in sight? Why bother to do things for the customer when you can just remove all their choices? I used to be a strong believer in capitalism, but the older I get, the more I realize that capitalism is a heaping pile of horsecrap. Not that the other two options, command and traditional markets, are much better...I don't know what to believe in anymore. Linux and freeware is about the only thing I don't find morally repugnant anymore, but that isn't exactly a feasable economic system, is it?

At least I can count on 3000AD remaining independent. The economy would be so much better if there were more ppl like the SC who say "to hell with the money, I'm in it for the sake of the idea..."

[RANT MODE OFF]

Edit: Hoo, there - check the language. -Mike

------------------

Commander Markus Korivak

GCV Norfolk (pending commission), ISSHQ (Saturn)

ISS, Defense Wing

ISS Fleet Defence Wing GCV Norfolk

"Honour is what no man can give you, and no man can take away"

[This message has been edited by aramike (edited 12-15-2000).]

Cool biggrin.gif Now maybe the NV20 will implement a decent FSAA eek.gif

TTFN

------------------

Fleet Commander Gallion

(Pro Tem)

GCV Graf Spee, Starbase Cerberus

Fleet Leader - Wraith Fleet (Pro Tem)

Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet/Corsair Wing

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

Corsair Cove

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Leader, Team 1

At least the war has finally ended.. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed though. Excuse me while I curl up in a corner and cuddle my Voodoo 1.

------------------

Commodore. Parias

ICV-Galatae, Sanctuary Storage Facility (Sygan)

Balor Fleet

ICQ 1293359

Staff member at HardNews

I have to say, I am terribly sad at this news. I have only been a 3dfx user for only 10 months now, and I liked the product. I never really got into the Geforce thing, and had no plans to....

frown.gif

------------------

Commander Greg Miller

GCV - Sark, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Fleet XO, Wing Leader, Tsunami Battle Group

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'Here cometh the storm!'

[This message has been edited by GREG MILLER (edited 12-15-2000).]

I think this is capitalism at work. 3Dfx has made poor management/technical decisions about their product ever since going public (in an attempt to generate a steady quarterly revenue for shareholders I assume). Because of this their technology underperformed compared to the competition, and under the rules of competition, if you don't perform, if you don't compete, you lose. That's exactly what happened. Other 3D chipsets will emerge, ATI will continue to compete (the Radeon is a decent competitor, and a step in the right direction for ATI), Bitboys might just get a card out the door, and Matrox will probably have another swing at it as well. The rules of capitalism state that if Nvidia starts making all the money in this market, someones going to think they can do it better, and you'll get new competitors. So Everything Is Gonna Be All Right .

Agree 100% with the above post, capitalism at work. I must admit that I like Nvidia, that is what my card is based on. I just wish that the new drivers would work!!!!

Otherwise, it's great, FPS is excellent and the graphics are incredible!!

------------------

CMDR Jaguar

GCV Excelsior

This is not just a game, It's a life unto itself!!