Voodoo 3

Soback

No problem so far, 1.7 drivers support dx8.

Only thing is that voodoo cards don't draw the textures right so you may see some strange "look through" on stations and similar.

Voodoo 3 may run Dx8, but it isn't DX8 compliant. That means the card will not perform new functions inherent to Dx8.

Those of us who still have Voodoo cards will soon have to toss them away. I'm holding onto mine only because I really can't afford anything else right now, especially a GF3 card that costs as much as some whole systems.

I hate to sound like a freaking whinning bastard, but I knew 3dfx was going to screw up when they bought their fabrication plant and stopped licsensing technology. They had the world in the palm of their hands, and they BLEW IT.

Say whatever you want about 3dfx, they took computer graphics a leap forward, and at the same time, provided very solid drivers and affordable products.

So long 3dfx,

wish you were here.

in short: its time to upgrade ANYWAY.

Gforce 2 cards affordable now..

Gforce 3 run about 399 bucks (599 with TV IN/OUT and stuff).

Cheerios!

What would be the best card right now for no more than $150. What about Hercules Prophet?

Also, if voodoo 3 with 1.7 drivers works with DX 8 but doesn't support all of the DX 8 functions, will it play BC:M or not?

[ 05-14-2001: Message edited by: Soback ]

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

What would be the best card right now for no more than $150. What about Hercules Prophet?

Also, if voodoo 3 with 1.7 drivers works with DX 8 but doesn't support all of the DX 8 functions, will it play BC:M or not?

I'm not going to advise on a new vid card because I could do with some advice myself(have a V3 and will need to upgrade soon) but yes it should run BCM I have had no problems with the demo with my V3 so you should be safe..

Getting a GF2 right now would be a bit of a waste. The amount of time you will spend with it before you have to upgrade to a GF3 will be rather short. There are a few GF3 games ready for release later this year and any game worth owning next year will be DX8 compliant. Six months with a new video card, for me isn't worth it. Personally I'm gonna hold on to my Voodoo until the GF3 drops in price a bit later this year and scoop one up.

But that's just me.

There were no problems with the demo because the 1st demo is using DX7. All the other versions will be using DX8 including the BC:M itself. So I was wondering if voodoo 3 will be able to handle the BC:M.

Looking at the version control file, there may be a couple of issues, but they should be taken care of before release.

The more I think about it, the more I want a G3 just to play BCM.

I've been ignoring the Radeon because I've had driver nightmares in the past with other ATI products, but it would be interesting to hear from anyone with a Radeon card who's played the game. From what I hear, the Radeon is actually a contender against the G3, as a DX8 compliant card, but how does it play? Anyone?

So, does that mean I don't need to upgrade my 3d card to play BC:M, I want to find out now because it's much simpler to get a new 3d card now then go through the frustration of buying BC:M and trying to play it only to find out that I gotta go back to the store and look for a new 3d card, would much rather do that before the game is out and be prepared for it.

Well, I just checked the faq and us Voodoo owners should be just fine. Make sure you read the faq once the game is released, it may change, but I doubt it will change much.

If however you would like to use the release of BCM as an excuse to upgrade your video card, by all means, do. A G2 is a very affordable choice, personally, I'm going to hold out for a G3, but I'm sure it'll work just fine with what you have already.

Yeah, I read the faq, it says something about some problems with voodoo cards and that they are unresolvable because 3dfx are out of business. If voodoo 3 will run the game then I am not going to upgrade untill the next summer. The rest of my system is ok so the only thing I am worrying about is that voodoo card.

And I just read in the version control file that there are some texture issues with Voodoo cards that are probably driver related. This is a Bad Thing.

There ain't gonna be no more Voodoo drivers. Ever.

I'm sure the game will run on a Voodoo card, but will it run optimally? Chances are, no. The game is DX8 compliant and any and all Voodoo cards are not. As I said before, if you can afford it, use BCM as a good reason to upgrade your video card. I'm saving up my pennies as we speak. By hook or by crook, I'm gettin a GF3! (Do any of you think I could convince my wife to buy one for me for my birthday? "Honey, wouldn't you love to spend $500 so that I could play games in 32bit colour, with 4x anti-aliasing and transform and lighting? I'd be on the computer all the time! All DAY LONG! WOULDN'CHA LOVE IT?!!!!)

quote:

Originally posted by Kush:

......Do any of you think I could convince my wife to buy one for me for my birthday? "Honey, wouldn't you love to spend $500 so that I could play games in 32bit colour, with 4x anti-aliasing and transform and lighting? I'd be on the computer all the time! All DAY LONG! WOULDN'CHA LOVE IT?!!!!)

If she is anything like me wife, NOPE!

Trust me Kush, matters like these, you need to take in your own hands.

Soback,

I've been keeping up with the version control file, and it looks like us Voodoo owners are going to take a real performance hit when it comes to visual quality.

I am amending my advice...

Get a Geforce.

The game will play on a Voodoo card, but not in all its glory.

I'm doing it. I'm going for a Geforce 3, or as I like to call it 'The video card whose value equals that of a trip to Paris.'

There is a very good chance that I will be dropping official support for the Voodoo3 because it does not support the multitexturing mode that BCM uses in DX8. There is NOTHING that we can do about it.

The V3 and NO Voodoo cards, have DX8 drivers. The V3 does not support the MT mode the DX8 is using. So, I put in the command line option to disable it, so that at least the terrain looks better than with it on. The transition textures (where one type blends into another), is what makes use of MT mode in order to make it seamless.

Funny thing is that the V5 works fine, and thats only because its a more advanced card than the V3.

Here are some shots of what you can expect to see on the Voodoo3.

Voodoo3

MultiTexturing on (default)

MultiTexturing off (/nt param)

geForce2 GTS

MultiTexturing on (default)

Menchise...

I don't think you have to, but you probably should.

From what I understand, TNT 2 isn't DX8 compliant.

LordDavid,

YOU FREAKIN LUCKY SON OF A GUN!

(Caps lock off.)

How is it? Are you happy with it? Feel like you got your money's worth? When did you get it? Any concerns?

I have one too. =)

The AA now works with very little slow down. In getting ready for Half-Life: Blue Shift I tried playing Half-Life for a bit at 1280x960 with 4 x AA and it was silky smooth.

The 3-D and especialy the 2-D image quality is mucho better now.

Mine's a Leadtek (as I'm sure Lord David's is as well). Got it on Sunday through mail order.

Err.. Seeing how no one delivers on Sunday let me rephrase that... it was sitting on my doorstep on Sunday when I got back from E3...

[ 05-22-2001: Message edited by: Vorpal ]