Questions on the GeFORCE 3 - why all the different prices?

Guest $iLk

Okay I've decided to break down and buy a GeForce 3, my problem is this :

WHICH ONE!!?

geforce3box_boardweb.jpg

I have searched several different sites, have found prices ranging from as high as $399.00 to as low as $299.00

Why the price difference, and what is the difference in the cards?

look here: www.cnet.com

GEFORCE3 4X/2X DDR AGP 64MB VGA TV/S-VIDEO (RETAIL) for $334

GLADIAC 920 64MB AGP GEFORCE3 GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR W/TV OUT for $344

V8200 DELUXE 64MB DDR GEFORCE3 AGP4X TVOUT for $391

GEFORCE3 64MB SDRAM DDR AGP4X SVIDEO TVOUT NVIDIA for $378

www.boldata.com

The Morpheus GeForce3 for $345

www.compusa.com

GeForce3™ 64 MB DDR Graphics Accelerator for $399

Verto GeForce3 Video Card, AGP, 64MB for $399

That's just to name a few, but my question is .... as long as it is a GeForce 3, is there any difference in the quality of the cards depending on who makes it?

I got my ASUS GEFORCE 3 DELUXE for $385.

The difference in prices is due to the software the cards come with, the accessories they come with and the manufacturer.

Asus makes the GEFORCE3 in their standard package and the DELUXE package. The DELUXE includes a TV IN/OUT feature (record film from VHS to PC and also from PC to VHS.. feel like making a movie out of all those punks you will kill in BCM? What better way? ) and has lots of movie editing and other cool software. The standard version just brings you the power of the GEFORCE3.. and nothing else.

I recomend the Deluxe, its a few more bucks but you get a very powerful toy.

did I mention you can film all those punks you get to pop in BCM?

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Tac ]

Visiontek - The Visiontek GeForce 3 (In the purple box) is far-and-away the most available GeForce 3 out there. Everyone has the Visiontek card and its easy to get a hold of. Its also one of the most expensive cards ($360-$400).

Leadtek - This is the card I use most often in my systems. Its easy to use, it's cheap, its reliable, and most importantly its fast. ($340)

ELSA - One of my older computers included an ELSA Gladiac/3D Revelator combo. I LOVED that video card/glasses combo. I remember Deus Ex in true stereoscopic 3D... all that scenery just popping out of the screen right into my face! Although I havn't really tried out any of their newer cards, I would definately trust the ELSA Gladiac line. I'll be putting together a new computer for one my friends soon, perhapse I'll throw an ELSA card in there.

Footnote on 3D Sterescopic Headwear: I am secretly obsessed with sterescopic headware. In my past I've tried the "VRex VR Surfer", the "ELSA 3D Revelator {wireless}" and the "VR Joy VR Joy 2000". The VR Surfer was phenominal in its day. I remember playing Descent 2... wow. But the VR Surfer is completely useless with todays hardware. Then there was the 3D Revelator. So long as you have one of ELSAs supported video cards using ELSAs supported drivers, the Revelator is a goodie not to be missed. When I switched over to a Creative Annihilator 2 Ultra, the Revelator no longer worked. So, I picked up a VR Joy 2000 on display at my local EB. While its a neat toy, it has a LONG way to go before its sellable, IMHO. The VR Joy has abominable ghosting problems that makes games like Deus Ex worthless. I attribute the phenominon to weak shutters. The company claims its the monitors, but by turning down the refresh rate and pointing out that the ghosting remains, the cheap monitor argument simply dosnt stand. I hear Microsoft is working some new Sterescopic glasses as well. I can't WAIT to get my hands on some.

I've decided on the ASUS DELUXE v8200 GeForce3. I have found it for $360.00 now I just gotta wait to get my credit statement so I can get my limit back up above the red line

The reason being?

This card is packed... I'm talking it includes everything you could want in a card, plus it seems to either equal or beat all the other G3 cards, even with all the features it includes.

ASUS V8200 Series Driver CD

Windows 9x, Windows 2000, Windows NT Driver.

Microsoft DirectX Driver

GART Driver

Interactive Product Tutorials

V8200 Series User's Manual

ASUS DVD2000 Software Player

DVD, VCD, MP3, and Karaoke support.

2 channels of Dolby digital audio

Bookmark Viewer, Pan Span

CyberLink® VideoLive Mail

To create and send video mail clips

Ulead® VideoStudio

Video Capture/Editing

ASUS Video Capture Graphics

Support TV Output Function

Support Video Input Function

Messiah

Hot 3D game

Sacrifice

Hot 3D Game

StarTrek - New Worlds

Hot 3D Game

ASUS VR-100G 3D Glasses

Size : 50mm x 30mm

Weight : 75g w/o Wire

Working Voltage of LC Shutter: 10 Volts

Consumption Current: 10uA

Wide Viewing Angle: 50 degrees

Operating Temperature: 0~50 degree Celsius

Storage Temperature: -20~60 degree Celsius

Warning: Because GeForce3TM DDR GPU consumes a lot of power, as a result, do not use V8200 Deluxe with the mainboard which AGP power is provided by linear regulator.

And for cheaper than most of the others I think I will take it...

Any day now I will be able to order it...

I've decided on the ASUS DELUXE v8200 GeForce3. I have found it for $360.00 now I just gotta wait to get my credit statement so I can get my limit back up above the red line

The reason being?

This card is packed... I'm talking it includes everything you could want in a card, plus it seems to either equal or beat all the other G3 cards, even with all the features it includes.

ASUS V8200 Series Driver CD

Windows 9x, Windows 2000, Windows NT Driver.

Microsoft DirectX Driver

GART Driver

Interactive Product Tutorials

V8200 Series User's Manual

ASUS DVD2000 Software Player

DVD, VCD, MP3, and Karaoke support.

2 channels of Dolby digital audio

Bookmark Viewer, Pan Span

CyberLink® VideoLive Mail

To create and send video mail clips

Ulead® VideoStudio

Video Capture/Editing

ASUS Video Capture Graphics

Support TV Output Function

Support Video Input Function

Messiah

Hot 3D game

Sacrifice

Hot 3D Game

StarTrek - New Worlds

Hot 3D Game

ASUS VR-100G 3D Glasses

Size : 50mm x 30mm

Weight : 75g w/o Wire

Working Voltage of LC Shutter: 10 Volts

Consumption Current: 10uA

Wide Viewing Angle: 50 degrees

Operating Temperature: 0~50 degree Celsius

Storage Temperature: -20~60 degree Celsius

Warning: Because GeForce3TM DDR GPU consumes a lot of power, as a result, do not use V8200 Deluxe with the mainboard which AGP power is provided by linear regulator.

And for cheaper than most of the others I think I will take it...

Any day now I will be able to order it...

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

GEFORCE3 64MB SDRAM DDR AGP4X SVIDEO TVOUT NVIDIA for $378

I like this one.

How in the hell can they have two different types of RAM on this video board?

SDRAM transfers only one bit of information on the falling edge of each clock cycle.

DDR RAM (as it's name implies-Double Data Rate) transfers two bits of data on the rising and falling edge of each clock cycle.

I guess those jokers threw that in there to throw off the unenlightened among us, since SDRAM is encapable of transferring bits at a double rate.

ROTFLMAO

Can you say, "I don't know squat about computer hardware, so screw me." ?

From what I read about them ( haven't gotten it yet but I will tell you more when I do) they are good in most games except for FPS (first person shooters) as they make your reticule like double vision... I am sure this would be a problem with BCM too...

Personally I hope they are good, but I am more interested in the card and video editing that I will be doing. Plus the programmable aspect of the card intrigues me...

I will tell you all about it when I get it believe me

Silk I have the ASUS GEFORCE 3 Deluxe.

Let me tell you, IM GOING BLIND.

Fricken glasses are awesome. Dont work in all games though, but HOT DAMN!

Also made my first video using the card... OOOYAAAH!!! I cant WAIT for BCM. I will actually FILM the action on my vhs, then x-fer it back to the PC, edit it, add soundtrack... oh boy oh boy.

DEREEEK!! hurrryyy UUPPPP!!!

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

How in the hell can they have two different types of RAM on this video board?

I think you'll find that SDRAM doesnt stop the RAM from being DDR, or vice versa. I have a GeForce DDR which has S*G*RAM (or at least thats whats stamped on the chips). SDRAM is Syncronous Dynamic RAM whereas SGRAM is Syncronous Graphic RAM. The main difference between SGRAM and SDRAM is that SGRAM supports techniques such as masked/blocked writes to increase performance. Either can be DDR because DDR is, as you quite rightly state, a technique for transferring data on both edges of the memory clock. Stating that the card has "SDRAM DDR" is just clarifying the fact that its not "SGRAM DDR".

Just so you know