GeForce 3 under attack!

Epsilon 5

Yeah Right!

I hope for you that the drivers are good! Since I got my Radeon last year, I had used only Beta drivers. Like SC said many times. The driver suck big time.

I'm not an NVidia lover too. But damn, the drivers department rock. ATI have great graphics cards but because they screw up the drivers, I cannot play BCM at it's full potential.

I will wait to see if the SC got one Radeon V8500 to see what he think about the driver quality.

Yeah right. They'll just **** up ANY chance of success, by releasing piss poor drivers. I'm not in the least excited.

quote:

(p.s. SC do you think the 8500 will work alright in BCM? (which wasn't true for the old radeon))

Didn't you promise to lay off the crack? Who says BCM doesn't work with the Radeon?

If I were to buy a new Graphics card, I wouldn't buy an ATI card. (sheesh, the problems I had with my last ATI were too many to describe...) Sure, the new cards are pretty allright but if one wants things to work for sure then a Nvidia is a pretty safe bet.

quote:

Who says BCM doesn't work with the Radeon

I believe what he was refering to was a line-item in the VCF or readme accompanying the E2 demo. There it mentioned that ground texturing did not work correctly due to a driver issue. You issued a workaround via some command-line switch that I don't recall at the moment to add to the shortcut that started the demo.

Incidentally, SC, did ATI ever fix that? Does that texturing problem still occur, even using their "beta" drivers?

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

They've been promising better drivers since I had my last ATI card. (Around the time Duke Nukem was released.)

They're a smart company because they make super cheap, high quality cards for the vast majority of computer users who don't give a darn about 3D. That is their forte. They are doing their best to capture and hold the 3D crown, and could possibly do it if the next card is cheaper than the NVidia card and has rock solid drivers. Personally I'm not going to assume they will.

I don't care about what some tech head was able to make the video card do in some lab. I fell for that the last time. I want to hear, from gamers, that ATI finally has great solid drivers. Until then, I am sooooooo going to buy a NVidia card.

quote:

I believe what he was refering to was a line-item in the VCF or readme accompanying the E2 demo. There it mentioned that ground texturing did not work correctly due to a driver issue. You issued a workaround via some command-line switch that I don't recall at the moment to add to the shortcut that started the demo.

And exactly how does this equate to BCM not working on the Radeon?

So what if BCM works with Radeon. What about other games? I just don't trust em.

SC, how is it to work with Radeon from a developers point of view? Do you really care about ATI's driver history? Does it affect you in any way?

I've had my Rage 128 for over a year, and I'm happy, despite some early problems. Most of those were because I started with a POS Integrated Intel 810 chipset, and didn't have an AGP Port.

Yep, ATI does need to work on their drivers, but I'm sure it will all work out, eventually.

---

I'm planning to upgrade my graphics, but I don't see many options for me, because I really need an AGP Port. Since ATI is well known for their low-price, high-quality 3D cards, I just might get it. First off, I'll need to upgrade my motherboard, but that would mean I might have to change my extremely small case. By then, I won't have enough for the upgrade!

I bought a Rage 128 32 MB as a replacement for my Riva128, since I wanted to watch DVDs on my K6-2/500 ... I had tried using WinDVD with the Riva, but it was more of a slide show than entertainment. Then I updated to a Rage128 since that Package included the ATI-DVD-Player - et voila, no problems ever since....

I agree that ATI sucks in Drivers, but with a small computer which wouldnt run modern games anyway, its the best way to get to view DVDs 'cause the ATI Rage series supports MoComp since the RageII Chip ...

IF Ati ever releases fully functional drivers along with their cards, they will kick asses around the globe, including NVidia's, just like AMD kicked ass when the releases their first REAL CPU - the all famous ATHLON .... the first AMD CPU which beat an identically clocked Intel Processor ...

Cheers