To GF2 or not to GF2

A question I want to upgrade my pc to run BCM when I get my grubby little hands on it. I currently have a voodoo III 3000 16mb video card and don't have the money to buy a Geforce III(much as I would like to) I can pick up a 64MB Geforce 2 card for fairly cheap and was wondering would it be worth my while or should I consider something else.

Desperatly in need of an upgrade.......

I upgraded from a Voodoo 3 3000 (AGP) to a GeForce 2 Pro. Got, and solved a few problems with my old mainboard (switched from Gigabyte to Asus), and am now quite happy with the speed (3DMark 2001 went from about 1600 to 3500), and the new features (like bump maping or T&L).

Go for it!

Best regards.

Gallion, I would love to go for a GF3 but I simply can not afford one. I priced one over here over the weekend and £499.00 is a bit more than I want/can pay for a video card.

Especially considering I want to upgrade my cpu, memory and chip in time for XP aswell. So would a GF2 be a good upgrade(64MB version) as I can get one at a good price?

on a further question I have two options

G Force mx 64m(3d Accel) TV

GeForce 2 Pro 64m 400mhz DDR AGP Creative(this is the dearer card a good £60 dearer in fact)

I assume the dearer card would be better card to by or am I assuming wrong any further advice guys? I hope to order the card tomorrow(as soon as I get paid) and pay the money off my credit card for BCM aswell so all advice gratefully taken.

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Emmett.hendrick ]

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

G Force mx 64m(3d Accel) TV

GeForce 2 Pro 64m 400mhz DDR AGP Creative

Forget the GF2/MX, it's not even in the same class with the other GF2 chips. In performance, the GF2/MX is about on-par with original SDR GeForce, which is at least real-world fillrate wise not that much faster than the Voodoo3 3000 you're replacing.

At this point, GeForce2 Pro cards have the best price/performance ratio out of cards based around nVidia graphics chips. But Creative wouldn't be my first choice of brand...

2D image quality of GeForce2 cards varies greatly from manufacturer to another, and Creative's 2D has traditionally been extremely poor. Make no mistake, GeForce2 has a superb RAMDAC capable of Matrox-like 2D. However, quality of the card's construction and the components used in the RFI filters are what make or break the sharpness of 2D on GeForce2 cards.

Basing on personal experience, user comments, and Anandtech's roundup of GeForce3 cards (conclusions can be drawn from component quality though the chip's different), I believe Elsa and Gainward GeForce2 cards are among the better ones in terms of 2D image quality.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

SC can I ask you something?

What is the performance difference between a
ATI Radeon 7200 64mb SDR
and a
ASUS GeForce2 MX400 64mb SDR
in BCM? I can have both for the same price.

Just wanna know the FPS difference... for comparison purpose.

I dunno. And I don't care either. I don't spend my time running card comparisons. You already know my thoughts wrt to the Radeon cards. I don't plan on repeating myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your advice I went out on friday and picked up a 32MB ELSA Gladiac geforce 2 GTS and installed it in my system over the weekend and everything looks great

EP2 demo ran perfectly in Win2k (after downloading the 12.81 drivers)and really looks well so now all I'm waiting on is BCM but until then EP2 will keep me going as I couldn't really play it up till now.