Radeon 7500/8500 should you buy?????

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

Ep5 get at least a t/b 1 gig as the price difference is almost negligable. If you want though I can give you my k62 500 cpu for the moment till you can get enough money for the 1 gig.

the price difference between a 950 and 1000 is 30cnd (18us) I don't have that. I'm very very tight on my budget.

In fact, if anyone is interested to see the pricelist I'm using, just go here, it's in cnd (10cnd~6usd), and it's biligual. These are the lowest prices I can get (a 256mb-133 chip for about 24usd! )

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Well, here it is :

Guys, I tried BOTH the 7500 and 8500 last night. My synopsis is this :

- If you like ATI's products and are willing to do what you're doing wrt dismal driver support, buy the 8500 and don't even **bother** with the 7500.

- If you have an nVidia GF card, don't even THINK of switching. You can switch if you have ANY Matrox or Hercules Kyro card - without even thinking twice about it.

- Yes, the drivers STILL suck and I found no less than FOUR problems with my render (not apparent in ANY other card - and I have over 9 cards here in various machines) in a space of fifteen mins after installing. I'm going to download the developer drivers later and see if they make a difference. I just couldn't be bothered to do that before, because the driver sent with the boards - SHOULD HAVE WORKED FIRST TIME OUT.

And I tried this under WINME, WIN98SE, WIN2K, WINXP RC

Thats a general synopsis. I'm not interested in benchmarks, I'm interested ONLY in **FUNCTIONALITY**. After awhile, the fps you get in games, reaches a critical mass where 5fps from one card to another, becomes IRRELEVANT.

Even the brilliant visual clarity of both cards (on all my displays) is not enough to appease me because the drivers are STILL not good enough.

Ah, the post I have been looking for, and pretty much as I suspected.

NVIDA HERE I COME!!!

I knew it wasn't worth it. When the time comes for me to upgrade.....NVidia all the way.

Oh Ep5 I'm serious when I said I 'll give you my old processor if you want it.

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

Oh Ep5 I'm serious when I said I 'll give you my old processor if you want it.

Oh... that's what I have currently... underclocked to 400 because my power supply isn't good enough. And my vidcard is sucky, Diamond Monster 3Dfx 4mb addon (v2 chipset)

Oh thats okay then just trying to help. But you got to admit, this comunity is the most helpful one any of us has been to so far. Imagine seeing an exchange like this in the CS forums. I'd be damn shocked!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll take your old processor Fendi

Mine is a POS with integrated 8mb graphics card(Yuck!!!!!!!!)

Well, its actually my parent

This way i could get be with buying a gf2 and then installing processor and card then play BCM for a few years while saving foir a top of the line puter

I've been using a Radeon 7500 for just over a week now. It replaced my GF2MX, 32MBDDR.

I have noticed a great improvement in speed and display quality in all the games I play with the exception of counterstrike - TFC, DOD, etc. don't seem to suffer. The game gets pretty choppy just looking around an area with your mouse. The game itself is fairly smooth if you're just running around, but start looking around and textures don't seem to refresh themselves properly/smoothly/evenly. No amount of driver tweaking seems to help, either.

And yes, my GF2MX ran the game very smoothly.

My overall impression of the card is that it is a good one overall, Q3 specific code or not, particularly because of the dual monitor/TV-out support. However, the thing to do, IMHO, is to stick with nVIDIA. Everyone is programming their games with them in mind, so you just can't go wrong.

OK I'm very mad at ATI right now - and I used to like them. I'm not due for another video upgrade for a year, and I have this problem going on (posted about over here) and then I hear about this news, meaning my planned replacement is CRAP!

So...can anyone recommend a way to ditch a Radeon (preferably one that would put some $$$ back in my pocket) and a decent replacement card that's going to have to survive the next two years of gaming?

quote:

Yeah but here's the question:

When has ATI EVER fixed their damn drivers?

6-20-01, when they released the beta drivers for the Rage 128, that let me finally play the BCM Demos.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with ATI's chipsets either. It's the drivers that really screwed their reputation.

Speaking of ATI's chipsets, I've read the reviews on the ATI "Flipper" chip, used in the Nintendo Gamecube. Looks pretty good so far, but haven't seen any specific reviews on the nVidia "XGPU" for the Xbox yet. Ah well. (I've been a heavy console gamer, and still am...) Still, I won't decide which is "best", until I try them myself.

......They're focusing so much on the chipsets themselves. It's a shame they're being pulled down by their drivers.

As a retail computer store guy, (yeah, there's a million of us) I can say that there's only 2 card lines that I like from ATI.

Expert 2000 - (cheap as dirt, great DVD playback with ATI DVD, useless for new games)

All-In-Wonder Series - (about the best "consumer level" video capture card. It also happens to be reasonable for any game that will work. So it's good for people who wan't capture, and games are secondary.)

Everything else they make... screw it. There's something better from Nvidia.

This is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree, tell me I'm full of crap, etc...

And to think I almost ordered some of those a few days ago.

I'll be saying a mighty "screw you" to ATI until I can get my hands on the retail cards. Because now I'll never know which ones my suppliers will send me if I get the OEM.

Once again ATI makes a bone-headed maneuver.

I'll probably still get one of the Radeon-based All-In-Wonder cards. I'll probably use it on my second monitor, and run games on my main monitor. Which is what I've been doing. (AIW/Rage 128 on Main, Intel 810 on second.) I love the built in TV-Tuner, and the capturing stuff, considering I don't have a firewire port.

• 1 month later...