Sound card advice

Epsilon 5

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Tired of using onboard audio, i want to buy a decent sound card. As a gamer, will a Creative Audigy X-Gamer be good enough or the Audigy2 is worth the extra $$ for it?

I have the same thing an on board sound card but the only reason I bought the motherboard with it is as a backup in case my PCI sound card craps out it's always good to have redundant systems as backup. My PCI sound card is an AUDIGY PLATINUM and it's great even my original SoundBlaster Live was great and I can wait to get the AUDIGY 2. However, since you have niether I'd spend the few extra bucks in the AUDIGY 2 just so you have the latest technology in sound but if it's beyond your budget get the AUDIGY X-Gamer or any version of the AUDIGY either way both are great sound cards.

You won't believe the difference when you hear the games with EAX.

quote:

Originally posted by Outlaw:

You can't go wrong with the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Yep. I've got four of them in machines back here. Soundblaster cards, apart from the whole EAX thing, are vastly overrated - and have far too many compatibility problems with various chipsets.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Outlaw:

You can't go wrong with the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Yep. I've got four of them in machines back here. Soundblaster cards, apart from the whole EAX thing, are vastly overrated - and have far too many compatibility problems with various chipsets.

Hmmm, of all the years of using Soundblaster cards and all the motherboards and chipsets I've gone thru I've never had an inkling of a problem except for the neighbors banging on my door yelling "TURN THAT F***ING THING DOWN!!!"

BTW: My first soundcard was ADLIB. Anyone remember that one.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Soundblaster cards, apart from the whole EAX thing, are vastly overrated - and have far too many compatibility problems with various chipsets.

Not really, depends on what you want to do with them. If you want to just play games and stuff, I'd go with the SantaCruz, but there are some applications that it just can't do like SBlasters can.

My Audigy 2 is great for my work, the sound processor in it works really well and recording is a sinch with it. Plus the Audigy Drive makes pluging a mixing board in easy when you want to record digital audio. I haven't used the SantaCruz for recording yet, but I've got some friends who have and they say that it isn't the greatest card for digital mixing, but it sounds awesome.

I'd say go with the SantaCruz unless you count on doing some serious recording. Somehow I doubt you'd be doing any of that though.

• 1 month later...

looking to upgrade my old desktop. or perhaps buy a new one eventually, however, a few questions.

the sound card debate, does buying these advanced 48 channels 24 bit playback and all that jazz types of sound cards really make a difference that can be heard? like does it make a gun shot or other sounds more real over the speakers? or can all this be achieved just by having a good subwoofer and an ok onboard audio...

let me know

well since my first post i got a new mobo (a asus A7N8X deluxe nforce2) with an onboard Nvidia Soundstorm .. probably the best onboard soundcard there is .. Dolby 5.1 support (with all the necessary plugs on the mobo of course) EAX3 support ... very good sound.