Radeon 9200

weegee_101

Ok, well, stupid me, as per usual, overlooked the fine details on something of importance. This time it has to do with my video card.

I've got a Geforce 4 MX, which, suprisingly enough, has no vs/ps capabilities whatsoever. This leaves me to find a new graphics card for my computer.

This is proving difficult for me. With all my knowledge of computers and sound cards (after all, sound is my career) I know jack **** about video cards.

I'm on a tight budget here, so how does a Radeon 9200 sound for UC?

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200/specs.html

Its got vs/ps 1.0 shader support (1.4/1.1) and on 3dmark.com it scored about 1000 points over on basically identical machines as my own compared to Geforce 4 MX 440 machines.

I found it really cheap on pricewatch. I mean really cheap. Should I buy it?

OH, and one more thing, I've looked at other prices on-line, and the 9200 is about the most expensive I can afford. If somebody knows where I can get a 9500 for about 55 dollars (including shipping) though that'd be great.

Forget that, this is the last thing, I promise.

Linux users, and I know you're out there, what do you think of ATI's cards for Linux. The 9200 has drivers for linux, but Redhat doesn't have it on their compatibility list. Not a big deal if fedora doesn't already have the ATI drivers installed, I can always just run crash level, which is pretty much failproof, but X11 is what I'm worried about. Please, give me feedback.

Now I go to sleep, I have no idea what I wrote in that last paragraph other than its about linux, so don't ***** at me.

I'm not really interested in the GeForce FX5200 because of its benchmarks. Its top score on 3dmark was about 300 less than the Radeon 9200s, and the Radeon is cheaper.

I think I'm gonna get this card when I put my paycheck in today. I talked to a guy down the hall this morning who's got one, and he loves the thing.

Well, I decided to spend a little extra money and get a Radeon 9000 Pro for $67. I couldn't afford anything more expensive than that.

The 9200 seems good at first, but after reading review after review, the 9000 Pro is faster, but doesn't have 8x AGP. This is totally fine, being as my mobo only has 4x .

Unfortunately both of these are DX8.1 cards, so they only have VS 1.4 and PS 1.1 support. This should be good for me for a while, until the summer when I have a steady flow of cash.