automatic tree rendering machine for your game?

Splad

don't know if you've heard of this before, but this is pretty neat.

http://www.idvinc.com/index.htm

especially under the products page: SpeedTreeRT, is a hunk of C++ code that is designed to export speedtree data for real time interactive applications.[not a quote] $6000! I bought a car for more than that (my own money), and i'm only in highschool!

I downloaded and ran the demo on my p4 1.7GHz with 64MB GeForce 3 and it ran very smoothly at 1024x768 (bump mapping and dynamic shadows and all) i have to say it looks amazing, best trees i've ever seen my computer render in realtime (or any other computer for that matter)

i also downloaded a demo of an earlier version of speed tree that renders up to 600 square miles of trees at a time. although you should probably check it out for yourself i have to say that the LOD engine is great, you can't even hardly see the transition from sprite to full detail modle.

no fair, it's your web site, of course you knew that was there. cheater. i only read that list llike 8 times, you'd think i would know that was there by now sorry

in my defence i only got my own thread from the search (i searched all open forums) does this mean that's the only one or does it mean they need to be reindexed? either way i'd like to read some thoughts on the matter from the battlecruiser community. if there is an old thread out there i guess i can go dredging for it later, because right now i'm off to work to cover for no good coworkers who got stuck in the mountains skiing

quote:

Originally posted by Splad:

if there is an old thread out there i guess i can go dredging for it later, because right now i'm off to work to cover for no good coworkers who got stuck in the mountains skiing

Old thread about what? I don't use SpeedTree and don't plan on it.

well it's obvious you don't plan on using it, but from how you reacted i thought that maybe i wasn't the first person to bug you about it. also, when you told me to use the search feature i thought that meant it was old news (as is usually the case) and i could just go read about it and have a grand ol time and be done with it. anyhow, i think i'll just siddown now.

also, maybe i'll use speed tree some day