Freespace 3. What if...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Please tell me this is not a joke. What are you crazy man!! Do it!! I have faith in ya.

It's funny my nephew was up at my place last weekend (I had just put a second computer online here for network gaming) and we were going thru all my multiplayer titles and I pulled out Freespace2 (he has the first one also) and he asked me if I thought a third one would ever be made and I responded who knows.

Don't play tricks with my head! Interplay! Dead (I think)! and now Freespace 3?! Why are you asking! Don't waste time go go go!

And if you didn't get that... it wasn't just a "Yes" but a "Hell Yes"

My only question for you SC, is would you keep it true to the name. Freespace has never been as complex as Battlecruiser ever has been, was, will be, etc. I've got perfect faith that you could do this, but I'm always skeptical about new developers taking over old projects and not keeping them faithful to the title.

Is this even real? Come on guys he is just doing it for all the attention. And you, Derek, stop horsing around and focus on the updates and the next game. LOL

Somebody posted there that they weren't sure if SC was going to make a "light" sim or whether it would approach the complexity of BC/UC.

Now I honestly love UC for its complexity, although it's been my opinion that I'd trade some away some of the scale for a little performance boost (I'm a notebook user, so it's my pet gripe, I'll get over it). However, I do have that same question myself.

If this heads off topic, I'll leave it to the moderators, but I'm proceeding in good faith with the question here. What would be the minimum number of features SC would have to drop or constrain (from the existing UC model let's say) to get a "light" sim out of the possible Freespace title?

If it were modeled after the pilot careers in UC, then I'd have to say not a whole lot. On the other hand, if it were going to include player controlled capital ships (as I think the SC mentioned at one point), I think I would have much simplified repair routines, simplified crew control, and perhaps target packaging and friendly asset grouping. Now I'm not making this into a wishlist (for which I would most assuredly be banned ), but I am rather interested in what makes the difference between a "light" sim and a...what, "full" sim? Perhaps you think the list would include or exclude different things, but as others said on the linked forum topic above, if it's SC or nothing, then I'd have SC do it, light or full sim.

ZM out.

oh - my - god. This is the best week in computer game history. SC, do you even have to *think* about it? DO IT!

If ANYONE can pull off another Freespace game, it's you. We need to fight off the Shivan threat in the earth's atmosphere, over huge futuristic megalopolises, above the lunar surface - and generally fight for the very future of our species in our own territory - Sol. And we need to see the biggest baddest mothership ever witnessed in a videogame. A world-destroyer. One that makes the saucers from ID4 look tiny in comparison. My tiny cold heart is about to burst with the possibilities.

Guest rtoolooze

Man that would be awesome! I say go for it.

I also think it does'nt have to be a simple sim. I'd like to see a more hardcore sim whilst staying true to the Freespace story.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I think At this point you have no choice. You simply HAVE to make this game. Just to once and for all shut all these wacko idiots up. their Drivel is just so freaking lame.

Honestly he should do it to shut HTL up big time. HTL is the worst group I have ever seen. It's as if they don't have respect for anyone including themselves and thier own members

Should be done to show them that yes, although they think that because they've dealt with FS2 for years, they think they are the best, that someone can actually do SOMETHING with the franchise.

OH, btw, the Avault thread was closed... finally. Should have been closed on page 5 in my opinion.

Those of you who have concerns, should please read this extensive post I just made. You might want to grab a snack first.

Thank you

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

And you, Derek, stop horsing around and focus on the updates and the next game. LOL

heh, yeah, I know. But, right now, I have UCHTL, the MMO game, and the game that was supposed to be UCE2E on my plate. If I get the Freespace license, it would be with a view to develop Freespace3 after UCHTL and in tandem with the MMO effort and using the new kickass graphics engine we're developing for UCE2E.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

I have restricted posting rights for TheVirus.

I've site banned him and his other alias Cloud02.

[ 07-16-2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

SC, regardless of the big debacle on this subject , I don't mind who gets the IP (better than it lying dormant or dead) as long as the final product is good.

However, this pains me.

From http://www.bluesnews.com

quote:

"[...] As for the mods, of course they HAVE NO RIGHT to exist and cut from the copyright holders profits. [...] "

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?...&threadid=50097

-Post #190

I think that a big strength amongst FS are the user made campains and modifications. Allowing the ability to mods stimulate a lot of interest in games now adays, and to hopefully get people to see how fun Space Sim's are and maybe inject some more life back into the genre, I'd like to think as much interest should be stimulated as possible.

I would beg you to reconsider on that one particular point. Much like you've allowed people to make their own campain scripts with the GBS to make their own missions, I would hope any future FS endeavour will be open to further modification as well.

It would just make a great game even better. Alot can be done with FS3, and I think that you do have some very interesting ideas for it.

Thanks for your time.

Fractux.

Great Read SC. You said it how it is.

Good luck getting the license. I hope you get it; just as you're loyal to people, most of us here are loyal to good developers (aka, you...) I know you could make an awesome game out of the Freespace universe.

quote:

Originally posted by Fractux:

However, this pains me.

From
http://www.bluesnews.com

I'm not sure what I should be upset the most about

1. That YOU would, without giving me the COURTESY of the benefit of the doubt, would ASSUME that I would make a post like that.
  2. That you had the audacity to still post it here.
  3. That you were FOOLISH enough to not pull up BOTH my actual Blues profile (click on a post by me) and that trolling imposter's.

I have posted in the thread and reported it to Blues. As someone else just posted there, that person is an imposter and is not me.

You, Fractux, have earned a slot in my bad book, from this day onward.

SC, I was not trying to insult you. My post was not directed at you in such a manner.

As far as being tricked by the imposter, that is my fault for not checking the reference, and for that I take responsability.

I was hoping to encourage your endeavour while making a point.

I though here would be an appropriate place because I wanted your thoughts, and on this board you don't have to deal with people flaming you, you can say what you want. That is why I wanted to post here. I wanted to get clarification on what exactly you were planning on doing.

If an insult was felt againt you with regard to the manner of my stating my concerns then, Sir, I do apologize.

Fractux.

quote:

Originally posted by Fractux:

SC, I was not trying to insult you. My post was not directed at you in such a manner.

That I know. The POINT I was making is that you took the words of an imposter to pose a question to me and laced with cautions about something that, well, I won't ignore. Its called common sense.

Here, let me tell you something. If someone came to me, out of the Blue, and said look what Pugwash, Chavik, Remo or anyone said/posted - my first impulse is to check with them without EVER even assuming that they are right, wrong, out of line or whatever. Its called trust. Its called knowingt the people you deal with. THATS the point I was making.

I did check it out SC. That's why I posted here.

See the profile here:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?...21289&boardid=1

It really looked legit to me. I understand you point about making assumptions, and in this case, they were bad assumptions. I apologize for any false implications I have made about your character.