Freespace 3. What if...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UHm... that's not real mature on their part...

But... hey, let's not accuse the whole freespace community, i could also be defined as a freespace fan, but by no means would i harass someone even *before* he has done his work

Moreover, i don't really understand all this hate for difficult games like UC or BC... there is Secret Weapons Over Normandy for casual flight sim gamers and Falcon 4.0 for the serious ones...

I really, really don't understand all that hate... when i look at it it seems something like "They're too dumb to play these games so they, feeling humiliated by their inability to play UC/BC, have to say that it is a crappy game"

Seems really like Esopo's tale... "the fox and the *thing used to make wine*"

Skree, it's because most of humanity is retarded. When garbage like WarCraft 3 outsells games as stupendously brilliant as The Longest Journey... well, I need not elaborate.

Apparently they want the Freespace franchise to rot in the hell of nonexistence for all eternity.

It seems like people today frown on games more complex than drawing stick people on the wall with a crayon. I remember the complaints about Gothic's fighting system - the groups of people demanding that it play more like, get this, Diablo. I'm glad the boys at Piranha Bytes ignored those fools, I always loved Gothic's fighting system.

The Longest Journey Merits a bow *bows*

Surely one of the best adventures ever made... more so because i like the "tone" it has...

Anyway, i fear if we continue we would go a tad off-topic, so returning on Freespace...

There *are* some things Mr. Smart said wich left me a bit "strange"... when he said he would *never* do a cut-scene... do you remember the wonderful intro of Freespace 1? or the movie wich presented the player the GTVA-Colossus? It gave me the chills, really.

But, in the end, every developer has his style, and he must have the opportunity to work "his way"... if Mr. Smart says "planetary missions and no cut-scenes", so be it, the *only* important thing, in the end, is that it becomes a good game, not if it has cockpits, or cut-scenes, or all-hell-break-lose. My opinion, of course.

P.S.: i guess we could talk, somewhere else, about Gothic 1 or 2, i'm one of the few with a "reason" behind the "i don't like it" phrase.

How scripted will the game be? FS 1 and FS 2 were completely scripted, with full mission briefings and debriefings.

I even created a mission for FS1 once, Spaceballs, it was based on that scene when they save the princess from her ship before it was tractored in by Dark Helmet's ship. In my version you had to prevent her ship from being boarded by enemy ships long enough for "Eagle One" to dock with it. I had sounds and everything, but it was lost a long time ago, on a busted hard drive in my back room somewhere. I really should try to recreate it for FS2, the Colossus would make a much cooler ship for Dark Helmet than that Vasudan Typhon I used in the old one, But this is getting way off topic...

Will the new game follow the old format, or will it be more like the ACM campaign in UC, one continuous scenario? Either way I am sure you will do a great job with it!

You know, if they buy that license, they had better make a ZARKING GOOD GAME with it! I've had my frustrations with this game like any other newb-turned-addict, but for heaven's sake, it's like a DS-hating cult!

If they actually managed to get the license and didn't turn out a better game than 3000AD, I'd be hacked off for no better reason than that their actions had been motivated by hatred rather than a desire for a better game.

Why the hell would Interplay sell the license to them anyhow? For starters they're not professional game developers, and I doubt that Interplay would like to sell rights to somebody who will just nudge them under the carpet. They're bluffing; I doubt that Interplay would cut a deal with them.

Guest Fox__Trot

Freespace 3 on atari? Woo!

Okay since Avault wont let me post (even logged in) and im having trouble on there fourms im going to post this here.

Simply put do you rember the diffrence betwain Mechwarror 2 & Mechwarrior 2: Mercanaries?.. (same with 4/4mercs)

Basicly you chose where to go. Who to kill. and what to do. -- That is what I'd love to be able to do in the freespace universe... you could even set it as a time line just after freespace 2 ends (or near the end after the terran brake-away group falls apart) since that would logicaly create atleast one if not several groups of trained pilots with nothing to do other then become "Space Scum" ...

Just think you could choose to "go to this sector" (by way of cutscene no hour long flight please) and then get a contract to go "Kill this guy" or "Save this guy" and then have an option (like the Rainbow Six games) to either use the "default" mission plan OR create youre own... with options to choose "jump in" locations, waypoints, where to have youre "carrier" meet up with you so you can dock (Automated or manual please) .. or even have it so you can bring youre carrier ship into the battle

which leads to more depth of being able to upgrade the size/class of youre carrier and if you wanted even the weapons on the carrier (rember Startrek Starfleet command you choose the weapons on youre ship and such) ... also since its in a mercanries style you can choose what kinds of fighter youre flying to whose doing the flying...

Well those are my oppinions and im sorry for posting here but Avault hates me or something

___

Just looked at those screenshots and while im not sure just "impressed" would be the right word (Im thinking the only way to sum this up is OMG! OMG! OMG!) I'm glad im buying "The game with the pretty ship"

___

Lastly: Where can I buy 3000ad stock? I'd really like to own some if thats possible since I seem to be noticing a very good possiblity of "Wow" Things from 3000ad (that hell given enough time will become the "new and better" mainstream line of games)

[ 08-03-2004, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Fox__Trot ]

• 2 weeks later...

No cut scenes?! Boooo!

Other than that, I think you should go for it. As someone about to get their black belt in Marketing come May from UNLV, I can tell you a vast majority of the FS fanbois will BUY THE GAME ANYWAY. Despite all the crap going on about how they hate you SC. Funny really.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Less than two weeks ago I was discussing FS3 with Herve Caen (the Interplay boss who is trying to revive the company) about it. But those discussions went nowhere.

Again. Since FS2 is already in the public domain, there is no way they are going to revive the back catalog like they have recently been doing with Fallout, Earthworm Jim etc. And since the space combat genre is flat out dead as things stand, my guess is that FS3 will never happen unless someone else licenses the rights from Interplay and does it solo.

I can't think of any publisher mad enough to put up North of $10m to do it since they'd need to have it on multi-platform (PC, XB360, PS3) to make it happen. And since Interplay doesn't have the money to do it - since they're better off funding their Fallout MMO - my guess is that it will never get done.

Those who want their space combat fixes will have to stick with the mainstream ones like Jumpgate and Eve Online. As well as our 2010 MMO.