Xcom: UFO Defense clones?

Freyar

Hey, I've been playing Xcom: UFO Defense for awhile (and of course love it), however because it is on the PS1 it's a little slow on the loading times for Tacticals..

Does anyone know about a newer "version" (clone works) of Xcom: UFO Defense?

Yeah, the PC version is faster, but the sound was horrible. All of the sounds were WAV format and music was MIDI. Of course I'm thinking the "Windows" version is the same as the "DOS" version. I'll see what I can dig up.

ahhh xcom:

ufo defence == best game ever created

its my fav game, iv been playing it (and modding it) for about 9 years, if it gets boaring: google for xcomutil, and BAM! its like a whole new game

btw: tftd is just a mod basically, nothing new...

OR... you could buy a recent game clearly inspired to X-COM... it is a quite difficult, turn based squad tactical fighting game against aliens wich, as usual, have invaded our planet.

It has a very good "feel" to it. Wait, let me search a website or such...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/ufoaftermath/review.html

quote:

Originally posted by JUDGExKTF:

quote:

Originally posted by Skree:

This one's better.

Hmm I tend to disagree, I think UFO: Alien Invasion is further in the development fase. Also I (personaly) think the artwork is better looking.

Oh, well, the important thing, in the end, is that one of them get finished and is faithful to the original, wether "mine" or "yours"

A group of people is also making a "clone" of Master of Magic wich is able to run on windows machines.

Well... I own UFO: Aftermath.. it's good but not a clone of Xcom, just inspired.

As for Xenocide, I hanvn't seen development at all for awhile.

UFO:AI I caught while they had an Alpha demo, can't wait till they get near the end of development.

And yes, I find that The Underdogs is the best place for this stuff.

Managed to get the Win version, but it runs so fast.... any suggestions?

[ 07-18-2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Freyar ]

No, not really... the windows version is already slowed down, what you need to do is go into che options screen in battle mode (click on the "?", it is one of the icons), and set a lower speed from there.

Having a P4 2.8 i am *certain* the game is already slowed down, since it runs perfectly after i lower the speed from the options menu.

The Tactical part I can stand, it's just that time goes by too fast on the Goescape.. isn't it supposed to be 5secs per 1 realsecond when you click the 5sec button?

Turbo doesn't work too well for this either, it just slows down processing.

well, i noticed that it is a tad faster than normal, but i found no difficulties whatsoever in intercepting ufos or sending promptly a task force on a terror site...

would you try downloading "my" version of X-COM? It is the exact same as the one i use with no problems... perhaps you have yet another version wich isn't too optimized for modern systems? (Although it seems strange).

http://sismetto.web.ctonet.it/x-com.zip

This is the one... i hope it helps.

I did, turning up the Playstation emulating times, after playing the PC version though it felt awkward... of well. The PS2 did help with the loading times, but it still was enough to go get a drink, snack, and use the restroom before it was ready.

I'm not sure what format... sorry, but the answer to your first question, it starts with a four letter expletive and ends with "No". I ain't selling my favourite Playstation title to anyone.

Well then, allow me to offer a bottle of :beer: as a sign of respect to the owner of an original copy of a masterpiece.

Anyway, if you live in the US, it should be NTSC, i couldn't use it

• 5 weeks later...

X-Com 1 was and still is the best of its kind ever made.

2 & 3 were horrible ripoffs made sorely to squeeze more money out of the first game's excellence.

I have the first release of X-COM... it wasnt called UFO DEFENSE but X-Com: Enemy Unknown (a much better title imo).

I still get a kick of playing the game with just human rifles and pistols (not lasers, bullets)

Sectoid! (Autocannon HE full auto wompwompwomp BOOOM SQUEAL GREYiiiiyyyy SQUEALLLLL hahahahaha)

• 2 years later...