Radeon cards... would you like to know more?

Littlealx

Id like to try and suggest some people reconsider their biased opinions...

With great difficulty i managed to get myself a decnt system, when i found it had a radeon card i was a little apprehensive because of things i have read in here.

After getting the drivers from ATI i have found that there is absolutly nothing wrong with radeon cards. Or at least, the 9200 that i have anyway. Yes, to begin with it did glitch, but after getting drivers the problem stopped.

I was happy that i could have a look at Universal combat now, i wasnt able to play it on the old system, a geforce 2. But now i can... its a big step and its evolved even more. My only bloody problem is now im hooked on UC and seems to have sunk somewhere in the Atlantic. (not on sale in Australia)

Radeon haters... what problems have you encountered that put you so against them???!!!

Well, I'd have to say their past driver history still haunts them. Plus people aren't willing to pay for an "Experiment", when they know Nvidia just works.

I remember when BCM first come out, and there were a few players with first generation Radeon cards that just wouldn't render the game properly, and was a direct result of Video Driver issues. I was all set to get a Radeon for my new PC (It isn't so new anymore) until this came to light, and picked up a GF3 Ti200 instead. I've sinced moved the GF3 to my wife's machine and replaced it with a GF4 Ti4200.

I'm actually glad you posted this thread, as I'm about to replace both of our Geforce cards with Radeon 9600xt cards. I believe ATI has the better hardware, they can still keep their high end cards to one slot, and one power connector. I was still a little concerned about ATI's drivers, until I read your post. I'm now that more confident in moving to an ATI card, thank you.

Meh... I just ordered an Nvidia 6800.... no GT or Ultra... just the 6800. For the price, $283.00 (at Newegg) it includes a free copy of Far Cry, so what's to think about? So far the reviews have been raves and the concensus is that dollars to framerate it is the best deal out there. I cannot wait for it to get here... and I'm doing this just in time for Doom 3. Ohhhh happy day!

Personally, Radeons havn't done any good for me

Either driver issue or the card itself is damaged.

This computer I have here came with a Radeon card, I had problems galore when trying to play UC and any other games (Far Cry anyone?)

I tossed it out and order an Ultra from the company (Alienware)

So far, NO problems at all =)

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Miller:

Well, I'd have to say their past driver history still haunts them.

Poor bastards

Well i suppose they brought it upon themselves.. you know when i first got it it DID have glitches and it screwed around with bc... getting drivers from gigabyte (its a gigabyte radeon) did jack all... then after trying drivers from ati instead it now works flawless.

Its a bit confusing having so many different companies or distributers for a card.. there is at least 4

Well, um performance wise the radeon is not the best card but its still decent... i dont particularlly care about one less fps on battlefield or whatever, especially if your paying 150$ if you want the latest and greates card.

But hell you guys wouldnt be saying that stuff for a reason so it must have had issues, but you have to be fair... its beginning to look like they're getting their act together.

Asus+GeForce is the best possible solution...

One thing must be said for honesty: ATI have better visual quality. But how much better could it be than a 6800 or my 5900?

Lots. The X800 outperforms the 6800 easy. There's no contest between the Geforce 5900 and the ATI Radeon 9800; ATI wins even on a bad day.

Drivers arn't really an issue with Radeons. They still do manage to come out with shitty drivers, but nVidia does the same crap from time to time. The only time that drivers are an issue with radeon's is in linux; Geforce wins in that market.

I dunno what cards you all have been using, but until the Geforce 6800 the Radeon 9800XT was unbeatable.

Uhmmm.... LOL... well if you think that the $150- $200 price difference is worth the MINISCULE performance difference then the ATI might be worth it. Regardless, the GT and Ultra would be more in league with the 800s and they do many things better while still being cheaper than the ATI cards (see Doom 3 benchmarks). I think ATI does a great job of pushing a lot of horsepower into a smaller more energy efficient package but I already have a hefty power supply and $283.00 for a card was quite enough. I wanted the biggest bang for the buck and Nvidia delivers that... ATI just cannot touch that at all.

[ 07-29-2004, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Takvah ]