Doom 3 - The Official Thread

Scrivener

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the doom 3 'beefy sounds pack'. It mods the sounds on all the guns so they sound dangerous now! You can get it here from filefront. Trust me, its much better to have a shotgun that sounds like a howitzer than having a flashlight duct taped to your AR.

Using some other mods too -

1) Extreme Quality Mod - Improves the way shadows interact with characters)

2) Ultra Gore Mod - Increases the ammount of blood and prevents bodies from dissolving. Unfortunately, blood still fades in the current version.

3) Duct Tape Mod - Adds a narrow-beam high-powered flashlight to the shotgun and machine gun. Would prefer the normal flashlight, but it's better than nothing.

DLing the Beefy Sound Mod right now. Thanks for the pointer, CB.

Guest Grayfox

alas... i am not doom-ed... im waiting for the xbox version to come out. my pc could more than likely run the game fine, but i dont have win 2000 or xp... oh well gotta get used to using 2 thumbs instead of mouse and keyboard

In my opinion Doom 3 is a boring engine-demo! Great graphics but nothing more! After playing for 2h I got used to all so called "horror-effects" and soon you know that when something spawns in front of you most times something spawns behind you, too! Frigtening? Hell no! And the levels are so damn narrow that you can't move - so why keys for strafing?? ^^ Just seems to be a big, blinding demo to sell the engine - everything else is history - Half-Life history! I hope Stalker will be out soon...

quote:

Originally posted by Zothen:

In my opinion Doom 3 is a boring engine-demo!

I thought it is well known that Id Software doesn't sell games, they sell graphics engine technology. Id Software relies on people to make mods to create the actual game content.

quote:

Originally posted by jamotto:

quote:

Originally posted by Zothen:

In my opinion Doom 3 is a boring engine-demo!

I thought it is well known that Id Software doesn't sell games, they sell graphics engine technology. Id Software relies on people to make mods to create the actual game content.

Yeah, I had a talk with a game developer about this... It wasn't well known to me, hehe! ^^

www.moddb.com has listed 24 mods for Doom 3 and 349 mods for HL2... We will see which Engine makes the mod-race!

Wow, my aging rig can actually handle this game. I am getting pretty decent framerates (in my opinion at least, it stutters a bit in some places but overall it is pretty smooth running), 1024x768, Medium detail. Amazingly enough, I get better frame rates in Doom 3 than Deus Ex: Invisible War. At 1024x768, Deus Ex is a complete slideshow, I have to drop it to 800x600 just to make the game playable.

quote:

Originally posted by Gol_Stoan:

Wow, my aging rig can actually handle this game. I am getting pretty decent framerates (in my opinion at least, it stutters a bit in some places but overall it is pretty smooth running), 1024x768, Medium detail. Amazingly enough, I get better frame rates in Doom 3 than Deus Ex: Invisible War. At 1024x768, Deus Ex is a complete slideshow, I have to drop it to 800x600 just to make the game playable.

What frame rate are you getting in DXIW? I'm running DXIW at 1024x768 on a AMD 650 with 256meg of ram and a Radeon 9800XT 128meg and getting 15-20fps, which isn't great but it's playable. If you're getting a better framerate in Doom3 then DXIW, I'm wondering if I would be able to play it.

Maybe, from what I read in PC Gamer about it, Doom 3's performance is much more dependent on the video card than the proc, but the minimum requirement is 1.5 gigahertz and at least 384 meg of ram or so, which my system just meets. Your Radeon might be powerful enough to make the difference though, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

In Deus Ex I get about 4 or 5 fps in 1024x768, it really is a slideshow. In Doom 3 I think I must be at least getting 30 or so, even in the big open areas like the monorail ride, it runs pretty smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

alas... i am not doom-ed... im waiting for the xbox version to come out. my pc could more than likely run the game fine, but i dont have win 2000 or xp... oh well gotta get used to using 2 thumbs instead of mouse and keyboard

Believe it or not, I found a work around for win98. It's some what of a process but it should be easy.

PlanetDoom forums: DO NOT USE SETUP TO INSTALL THE GAME!!!!!....................

Guest Grayfox

interesting... thx lost. im glad i understood all of that...

now just gotta wait till payday. im not worried about not being able to play it online. i just cant afford xp or win2k... maybe with my tax refund i can... i just think if im willing to shell out 50$ for the game i should be able to play it on my system.

I regret to say having purchased Doom3 and Painkiller at roughly the same time, Doom3 pails into insignificance. Whilst the graphics are pretty, gameplay sucks. After the first few levels it seemed nothing more than a poor Half Life clone. However I wasn't aware of the mods so thanks for the heads up I will head over there sometime when I can pull myself away from attempting to ground assault an insurgent base using my Megaron - alone. Time to PTA woop some ass!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grayfox

this ones not too bad. got it and got it working. the mods do make it alot better IMO. i have noticed alot of halflife rip offs ie: med stations, "public service" announcements etc, but i look at it as a hl2 fix.

playing while wearing headphones rocks tho... especially with the voices... creepy.

not too bad overall 7.5/10

Guest Grayfox

no youre right on that. i noticed it too but didnt really place it until you mentioned it.

just finished this one... very nice... have to bump it up a half point just for some of the later levels...woof!

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the demo from FileShack last night and played it for a while. Since the demo is the first three levels of the retail game, I figured this board was fair game for first impressions.

The nifty-est thing to me so far is the seamless computer-screen interaction. You just walk up to them and start using it. Also, that the computer/TV monitors are high-rez active displays is very cool. The information/propaganda kiosks makes the first level very immerse.

The sound environment is masterful. It seems that if you can see it (or perhaps not see it) it is making a noise, properly positioned and everything. At the same time, it makes sure that certain things (such as conversations) are loud enough that you can hear them clearly. Everything sounds like it should, and some things sound... unnatural... possessed... (like they should).

The visuals are dark... dark... dark... And VERY dense. This game has more detailed interiors than any other in a 1st person shooter I've played (DeusEx:IW is somewhat close). HOWEVER, it is TOO detailed for my taste. There is so much going on visually that it's distracting. And, since most of that detail is partially or periodically concealed by darkness or shadow, it is a bit frustrating.

The ambient lighting of the facility is well complete darkness. What lights there are play across every little detail of the very dense and complex geometry in the scene. To this add that every surface is a bump-mapped texture; and the entire environment becomes a study in 3D overload. I primarily play 1st person shooters, and this game started to make my eyes hurt. Im used to visual cues that tell me what objects are parts of the map and which ones arent. No such luck here. The map geometry is just as dense as the object geometry in fact it all blends together and is simply overwhelming.

I haven't completed the demo, but my initial impression is "I didn't know my computer could do that!" Doom3 is a visual and audio masterpiece. It has an incredible amount of visual and audio detail; more than any other game IÔÇÖve ever played.

I can't decide whether or not it is FUN yet, though. Is claustrophobia married with a deep sense of dread and paranoia, all while hearing the tortured screams of demon possessed victims fun? To each his own, I suppose.

Managed to finally load this up on a 3.7GHz laptop with a Radeon 9000. 512MB of RAM in the laptop, gave the video card frame buffer 128MB of that system RAM to work with.

The game, she runneth like crap. At 800x600, low detail, the going is pretty rough. The environments look great, but the character models and shading are shite.

The video card is to blame of course. I know.

Anyway, played up until that first imp shows up (shortly after getting the shotgun) and am impressed nonetheless. Good ambiance, nicely scripted events. Zombies don't terrify me half as much as they should, but I'd say that is because it takes them about a minute to walk towards me as I try to shoot them at 12 frames per second

what do you expect? that video card is old... and slow now for what Doom 3 wants to do... And it is slowing down your system, a 3.7ghz with a radeon 9000 mobility?? I have a radeon 9000 in my p 1.7 inspiron 8200 from 2002. In my view the 9000 was the first best mobile card to play games on because it could run almost anything for its time and after. For doom 3 it's smooth if you use 640 * low detail.

Im curious as to why you have such an obviously new laptop with such an old video card, what happened to the x800... or 9800 or 9600...

but as for my impression of doom 3, definitely anyone below 18 yrs old will love it, not saying anyone older won't, but as the age group rises and the more games you've like it chances are you've played, the less impressive doom 3will seem to be other than its immpressive graphics/audio. I was going to buy it just because its doom 3, but after playing the demo, I can't bring myself to.

Certainly has great atmosphere though.

I have finished the demo and was getting around 20fps at 1024x768 in low quality, I did leave all the advanced graphics options on except AA and V-sync. Graphics where good, I especially like the detail put into the faces of the people. The very short walk outside on Mars was cool with the sand storm like effect going on. The announcements over the PA really added a feeling of being ÔÇ£in the gameÔÇØ. Finally when all hell breaks loose listening to other marines and scientists meeting their demise over your radio was a nice touch.

Now my nit picks of the game. It's not scary. There are no footsteps at least I didn't hear any. It would have been useful, as some of what you shoot likes to come up behind you. So your only warning is when that zombie starts giving you some ÔÇ£love patsÔÇØ on your back. The machine gun in the hands of a zombie is lethal but in your hands takes what feels like 500 rounds to take out an unarmored zombie. The shotgun has an extremely short range/wide firing pattern, you have to stand so close that some times you have arm wrestle the zombie to make it give your gun back. Lastly the zombies and other entities that you have to shoot are not that much smarter than what they were in the original quake. They don't dodge, however sometimes they will do a somersault through an open door but once they come to rest on their feet they don't move.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

what do you expect? that video card is old... and slow now for what Doom 3 wants to do... And it is slowing down your system, a 3.7ghz with a radeon 9000 mobility?? I have a radeon 9000 in my p 1.7 inspiron 8200 from 2002. In my view the 9000 was the first best mobile card to play games on because it could run almost anything for its time and after. For doom 3 it's smooth if you use 640 * low detail.

Hard to believe isn't it? But the power of the 3.7GHz P4 has nothing to do with the slowness of Doom 3. It is entirely the video cards fault. One, it uses shared memory. Two, it is a DirectX 8 compliant card.

I have no qualms about running the game at 640x480, because I think the environments look good, regardless. My qualms are about the character models. Unless you are at the high detail setting, the models look like total crap and aren't frightening in the least. Which takes away from the experience, in my book. Does that make sense?

quote:

Im curious as to why you have such an obviously new laptop with such an old video card, what happened to the x800... or 9800 or 9600...

A laptop with a REAL video card in it (like what Alienware does) is totally out of my price range. In order to buy something this tough, in fact, I've been saving up for months and sold my old desktop machine (Athlon 2700 XP, 512MB RAM, 120GB HD, Radeon 9600 XT All-in-Wonder). Anyway, I don't play games as much as I used to anymore and when I do it is generally something from two years ago, like Mideval: Total War, so a top of the line gaming rig isn't high on the totem pole. I need something I can bring with me to work so I can keep running my own life and not use the employer's machines...

quote:

SNIP THOUGHTS ON GAME

Totally in agreement.

you agree with my thoughts on the game kung foo?

as for the comment on your setup, I just thought that since you had a p4 3.7 which is hellishly expensive isn't it? that you would be able to afford, and also do yourself "justice" by buying a top of the line card like your top of the line chip...I am much like you as for as games are concerned I've switched to playing stuff like doom on the xbox, so i don't have to upgrade my pc just to play a game, consoles are wayyy cheaper than upgrading a pc to play a game, and more and more games are being released cross platform and are actually good and fun on the xbox, i still do prefer pc gaming though, but as i get older money gives way to wants.

Yeah I meant your video card is slowing your performance.

someone said above it isn't scary, i guess im that sort of frightened person, because i find it jumpy, i hate when a monster attacks from behind and i spin and cannot see him because it's so dark... and in mine i heard footsteps from them.