DROP EVERYTHING AND ORDER NOW - Rome: TW goes gold

TARWMSRK

I cried today because ive been waiting on this game.... forever. Now im going to put off my research paper because of it . Gah I cannot even think straight now!

www.totalwar.com -- in case you want to play the demo of this glorious game...its the best in its class there is none better!

i ordered this one a while ago... played the demo and woof! all i can say is omfg... war elephants pwn. the only real battle on the demo was the battle at the trebia river with the carthaginians and the romans. war elephants... *drool* cool as hell watching them rampage through the roman formations tossing bodies all over the place.

cant wait to play with scipio africanus... zama... mmmm

i love the whole TW series. medieval TW was cool, but shogun TW was the best for me... i dunno blame kurasawa and musashi but this one looks to be the best of them all...

Although the war elephants are cool, I think its more fun watching cav charge hastati, princepes, or triarii. Just zoom in on the cav and watch them try to break the line. It just warms my heart to put my legions in classic steamroller formation and slaguter the barbarian scum .

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

im going to buy this without playing the demo, rome is always one of my fav things to watch, and i always wanted to conquer the map in caesar 3... here's my chance, my brother has dubbed it caesar 5 hahaha. not funny..

I played the Rome TW demo and the game rocks. I'm not much into strategy games but the few that have been coming out recently have been quite good and Rome TW is one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

eh got this one... mixed feelings so far.

the historical battles are seriously lacking... no zama, no cannae... the campaign mode is alot more in depth though for all you control freaks. for those who dont want that level of control, you can have the ai control the money and management aspects

GrayFox, what's this Zama & Cannae that you are talking about? Historical battles?

No doubt there will be a campaign editor along eventually.

I understand the "Risk style" map is where the game truly shines, BTW, more so than the 3D battles.

I for one have tried the demo and find it to be the very definition of...wonderful. It is so good it is pants.

lol pants.

you dont know what zama and cannae are??? my god do they teach history in school anymore???

yes they are historical battles... major ones in the era the game takes place. im just a history freak and was a bit let down that they didnt include the 2 major battles of the 2nd punic war. meh.

the map this time is different than the previous 2 TW games. for one, the areas surrounding your army are shaded meaning you cant see into the area unless you have agents in there. you cant even see if theres enemy troops in the region... the only way youll find out is when you get ambushed by em.

you can also set your troops in an ambush position on the map (the map shows terrain features) and if you catch an enemy army in an "ambuscade" you can hit them while they are still in column of march... awesome.

there is a large degree of control involved, but like i said in the above post, you can have the ai manage what you dont want to.

terrain does play a factor in the battles. where your troops enter the battle from the map, thats where they start in the battle phase.

off to kill some more.

Well, Cannae was covered on Decisive Battles, so maybe that's why it's not in there. Another reason might be that most people will have 0 chance of survival playing as Hannibal. Not everyone is well enough versed in history or tactics to trap the Romans like Hannibal did.

Zama, on the other hand, would have made a wonderful battle. The only problem I see there, is that Scipio used trumpets to defeat Hannibals War Elephants (the noise frightened them, sending them running in every which way, while Scipio had his troops positioned to allow the elephants to escape with minimum casualties). As interesting as that kind of thinking is in battle, the game dosn't really allow for that vital strategy - and vital it is, since Hannibal might have otherwise crushed the Romans at Zama despite his other shortcomings.

I wonder what the expansion is going to be. The previous games in the series both had expansions, so I would assume that this one will have one too.

Ancient Greece/Trojan War is highest on my list of possibilities, focused on Greece in the same way that the Vikings expansion was focused on England.

And this leads to the question of what the next Total War game will be. I am hoping for a Napoleonic/Colonial era game that would pick up where Medieval left off and go up to 1900. Make the map global, and add full naval battles in addition to the ground battles.

Of course, this is all just musings and speculation until my copy of Rome comes in, Gamestop has been very slow to ship it, the bonus DVD of special features and other goodies, that only comes with the preorder, is on backorder . They just shipped the game itself today.

the only other thing i dislike is that in the campaign you can choose only the romans. yes i understand its called rome total war and not carthage total war, but still, having command of elephants would be nice, although if im not mistaken the romans do start breeding war elephants after the second punic war. but playing as a class other than roman would of been cool... maybe thats what theyre going to do in the expansion?

as for zama, i realize you couldnt implement the trumpets in the game, but they only affected about half of hannibals 80+ elephants. the others, when charging the roman formations, naturally went down the gaps in scipios formations (which he purposely made that way) and while in the middle of the lanes, the elephants were walaid on either side by javelins. so while the trumpets were important, the way scipio defied standard roman doctrine and reformed his units the way he did was also important... in short they still could of put zama in the game

quote:

If anyone who owns this game wants to get together and have a big multiplayer brawl.... sing out!

im a singin im a singin

Guest Grayfox

and another thing... does the sneate play these little head games with you guys??? one round i get a senate mission ordering me to blockade the port at new carthage (by this time carthage is mine, as well as all of sicily all i need is to wipe the carthaginians out of spain). i blockade the port get my reward etc.

i then decide to take new carthage... i figure while im there why not? next turn i ge a senate mission wanting me to call a ceasefire with the carthaginians... im in the middle of besieging a carthaginian city for gods sake! so i call of the siege and send my diplomat to call a cease fire which the carthaginians accept. senate mission complete.

not 3 turns later, i get another senate mission telling me to blockade another carthaginian port... ummm excuse me didnt i just have a cease fire with these folks? i blockade the port, get my reward and get yet another senate mission to call a ceasefire with carthage... i swear if i get one more "chasing my own tail" mission from the senate and im going to take my army and take rome myself (which i have to do eventually but i wanted to save it for the end) then put the senate to the sword