DROP EVERYTHING AND ORDER NOW - Rome: TW goes gold

TARWMSRK

Heh, the Kerry thing makes me laugh.

Anyway, played my first full-fledged game the other night as...the red guys. The ones that focus on the north. Had two armies and had them attack a Gaul town from the east and west. The Gauls sallied forth to attack.

This is when I discovered the imbecilic reinforcement AI. I do hope someone makes a mod enabling us to control the reinforcements. My reinforcements, out of 450 men, lost 180. My personal army of 400 men lost 46. 'Nuff said.

So yeah, 3/4 of the Gauls in town attack my group, made up of 250 Hestati, 100 Javelin dudes, and my general's cavalry. They start streaming out of their gates and milling around. I get my general and his cavalry in position to flank the bastards so that, when they are embroiled in combat with my troops, I can ram 'em where the sun don't shine.

That's when I noticed they would all try to chase my general! LOL! they were ignoring my troops completely! So I had my cavarly run off a ways just so and, when the Gauls gave pursuit, charged my entire army into their flank. A quarter of them were cut down in the first ten seconds, I think. Then I charged my cavalry back into them and they completely broke! It was fabulous. They were running towards the city gates, but I would be damned if I let them close. I charged my cavalry right in after them. They somehow held the gates open, allowing my infantry to charge through.

All the remaining stragglers --- from my combat and that of my reinforcements --- ran into the town plaza to defend it. They just crowded around, all exhausted and tired. I just slowly marched my javelin guys, defended by infantry, and rained daeth down on 'em.

It was a fine day to be Roman.

Now the senate has asked me to attack a town on Corsica (the island north of Sicily). But I only have one boat and have never used it --- no idea how many of my men it can carry, and it has to be done in 10 turns!

quote:

Originally posted by Kung-Fu Massa:

Now the senate has asked me to attack a town on Corsica (the island north of Sicily).

Sardinia is north of Sicily. Corsica is north of Sardinia.

So, while you're at it, go ahead and sack Sardinia. If you run into Pedizzi and Caredda, put 'em in chains and feed 'em to the lions.

Is it just me or are british light chairots EVIL? 90% of the time I cant touch them because they can outrun just about everything I have! The only thing I can do (after my light cav gets chopped up) is put everyone who can in testudo and wait for the time to run out since those damn chairots just sit back and pepper me to death with arrows.

I like to set my hastati and principes on fire at will and let the pilums (or is it pili) do the talking. Some Gaulish units are down to less than half strength by the time they reach my lines, after getting obliterated by arrows, javelins, and pili. They sometimes turn and run before even reaching my lines. I do tend to lose a few men from friendly fire though.

Guest Shingen

I'm still debating on getting this one.

I'm still half-way through the European conquest in M:TW (I haven't made into the Moslem countries yet). I've had this game forever, but it just doesn't have the same addiction for me that S:TW had.

Medieval has alot more in it then Shogun had, but Shogun was just funner to play, all around.

Is Rome:TW fun to play, or is it much like the exorcism that M:TW has turned into?

Trust me, R:TW is worthy of your $50. How can being Roman not be fun? This game like all others does have its problems-- for instance some say the battles are way too fast and the AI can sometimes do some clever things...other times really stupid things... but these things can be fixed with lovely patches! Anyway, if you have not played the demo to get a taste of this rts masterpiece, head on over to totalwar.com and get it!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. I haven't bought anything recently but this is good game.

quote:

As I understand it, after you finish the campaign with one of the Roman factions, all of the other factions will be unlocked (according to PC Gamer anyway).

Yeah got a whole lot the choose from now. The egyptian chariots where annoying. But now i can annoy someone else now sieging a city is cool. Great game.

After having played the game for a while, I now think that the expansion will be summed up with two words: "The Huns". And that it will be late period and involve defending the fully outstretched Roman empire against Goths, Visigoths, Vandals, and such.