Small developer space sims: The List

Gryphon

Guest DocHoliday

hey jamotto, I read somewhere there is an open-source version of Frontier out there somewhere. U have any info? Anyone else?

I can't get the old Frontier to work on my machine. Even using Dos box...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Arthur_Dent1976

The Elite games are avaiable from the Elite Club as shareware, although they require you to pay five pounds if you play them for more then 30 days. A fellow named John Jordan coded an executable that lets you play 'Frontier: First Encounters' in Windows. Read the disclaimer before deciding to download though. Or leave, as I have done, an old 486 PC around to play the original.

quote:

Originally posted by Kung-Fu Massa:

I hereby declare Jamotto to be 0wn3r of this thread

Just wanted to make sure the thread is well stocked

IGE - Outer Space

quote:

IGE - Outer Space is an on-line strategy game which takes place in the dangerous universe. You will become powerful commander of many stars, planets, and great fleets and will struggle for survival with other commanders.

SpaceJumper

yet another arcade shoot everything that moves game. Win32 Binaries, Source Code (.zip), Source Code (.tar.gz)

spaceracer

quote:

Space Racer is a 3D car racing game. The circuit is a road in a galactic environment. It aims to be a clone of the well known Stunt Car Racer developped by Geff Crammond, author of Grand Prix I and II.

Ok, way out in right field, but I thought it looked cool. Linux and Windows versions available.

Stroids

quote:

Stroids3d started out as a 2d clone of the original asteroids. Since I have no life and just a horrible amount of time on my hands, it eventually became a full 3d space shooter.

anyways this is a better description.

quote:

"It started out just like the original (2D), but then he made your ship and all the asteroids 3D (but still stuck in a plane like before). Then he changed it to a first person perspective and made it so you can look and fly in any direction. Now, it's really nothing like asteroids, but it's still really cool."

--John Bethencourt

XPilot NG

quote:

XPilot NG is a multi-player 2D spacewar game. It is an extended version of XPilot, a true Internet classic. Like in XPilot, the aim of the game is to have fun and to beat your fellow pilots. In a team game, you can humiliate your enemies, blow up your their ships and steal their treasure. There are also other game modes: individual game and a race mode. XPilot NG is compatible with XPilot and shares a lot of features, but also has a lot of new features and bug fixes...

Windows and Linux versions available.

quote:

Originally posted by jamotto:

quote:

Star Voyager is a space combat and exploration game set in the Star Trek universe.

Linux source code only.

Its got linux binaries only. You can take the source code and compile it on any x86 machine (and possibly powerPC too).

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

Its got linux binaries only. You can take the source code and compile it on any x86 machine (and possibly powerPC too).

ah, thanks I stand corrected. Whenever, I see a "tar.gz" extension Linux is the first thing I think of. A bad habit for me

WING COMMANDER

BATTLE STATION

quote:

Wing Commander Battle Station is a fan made Shooter. Taking place during Wing Commander 1 Era, You will encounter numerous foes, but you are not alone in the battle, you will be Aid by other Confederation Fighters and Carriers in a battle to save Vega Sector from the Kilrathi.

Right Know the Game is still in Creation progress, where is not much to see, please come soon

can get the techdemo here

quote:

There are no enemies or levels implemented, but you can fly a couple ships and shoot a few guns to get a feel for how the game will control. You select ships with Enter, fire with Control and move with the arrow keys. G switches guns in the Rapier.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

from the makers of Star Wraith.

The whole game is 18 Mb

Whats even more surprising is that the game is actually quite fun(at least in the first hour that the demo lets you play).

Now thats a quality BUDGET title.I really wonder sometimes what exactly was DC thinking ..

• 2 weeks later...

Blaze Proving Ground

quote:

Blaze - Proving Ground (BPG) is a free multiplayer space combat simulator aimed at the PC (Windows and Linux) using Free / Open Source components available on the Web. The game takes place in the far future, where fighter pilots are only thing standing between the human race and the onslaught of the Horde, a space faring species bent on conquest of earth.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got Flatspace. Man, if it isn't good... It's a trading-fighting arcade game with dynamic universe. The map can be generated each time or you can play on the standard map. Lots of ships and enhancements. The universe hasn't planets or stars because, as the background says, it has expanded to a point that stars can't form. Definitely worth the 21Ôé¼ I spent on it.

I had to choose between this or Starscape, but I had money only for one. I'm planning to get Starscape too. It's an asteroids like shooter, but has much more advanced gameplay than many other games of the genre. You must build your ships taking ore from the asteroids you blow up and the technologies you discover and then you have to blow up the bad guys. Definitely worth the money. Both have downloadable demos.

I just noticed thet Noctis isn't mentioned here. Well, take a look. This is the homepage of the author, there's a button on the top of the page. It's an exploration game, this means that there are no ships to fight nor stations to trade with. You have your spaceship and you must explore the randomly generated universe and planets. Even if it has outdated graphics, it gives many good visuals. I remember taking a look at a chasm that I found on a planet. It was deep and it had water in the bottom. The water actually reflected the sky over the chasm. Breathtaking.

[ 04-08-2005, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Asso ]

Sector 13

quote:

Sector 13 is designed to be the first ever fully 3D space shooter that plays like a multiplayer first-person shooter. Our idea was to take the immersion, competition and intense action of the best multiplayer shooters, and apply it to the space sim genre. The result is a fast-paced, arcade-like experience that's perfect for LAN parties and internet multiplayer.

Gate 88

quote:

Gate 88 is often described as "like subspace but with the ability to build turrets and command fighters." While a skillful pilot can decimate the enemy in one-on-one combat, a thoughtful player can overwhelm the opponent with strategic turret and fighter placements. However, only those who truly understand the intricate details of both action and strategy will win the day.

Because alliances can be broken on a whim, players must interpret the social situation of the game to ensure that each alliance is sincere. For example, it is not uncommon for an allied player to plant turrets and fighters within your base only to break the alliance and watch your empire crumble from within. Always be careful with your trust.

Gate 88 employs a unique user interface that allows players to pilot their ship while performing strategic operations. The tutorial and practice mode will get you up to speed.

Windows, Mac and Linux versions available.

Gravity Wars XP

quote:

Gravity Wars is a game where you battle it out with many different players in a space enviroment in a turn based combat system.

Its a classic projectile game where projectiles need both Angles and Velocitys to fire, but because it's set in space the many planets on the map influence the projectiles course as it attempts to find its target.

• 2 weeks later...