The Elder Scolls - Oblivion

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, it looks like they're actually going back to what made the older Elder Scrolls games so great. While Morrowind provided me many hours of amusement, it was ultimately a big let down - especially as compared to Daggerfall. Funny that a game released in 1995 remains the most full-featured RPG of all time.

And they said there will be lots of blood. Bethesda - thank you for that.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

While Morrowind provided me many hours of amusement, it was ultimately a big let down - especially as compared to Daggerfall. Funny that a game released in 1995 remains the most full-featured RPG of all time.

Daggerfall has to be the ultimate in RPGs! Even with all the bugs and sprites, it's still the best RPG I've played since Darklands, and I've pretty much played them all.

Somebody remembers Darklands! That's zarking fantastic! That's one of my all time favs because it imagined fantasy within the scope of history. I'd pay good money to see that one redone.

My wife was a big morrowind fan, I haven't shown here the Oblivion previews yet.

Mmmm, Darklands. There's one I havn't thought about in years. *blows dust off of a black box*

Funny thing is - I still play Daggerfall to this very day. Years and years of gaming, and it's still fresh and fun even today. Oh, the stories I've lived thanks to that game. And the world and it's cultures were so rich that it would make Tolkien proud.

I hope that Oblivion captures just some of that glory. As great as the Gothic games are - I still dream of a truely open-ended RPG world.

Oh man, now I wanna play DF some more. See you guys next week

EDIT: This thread has led to a long series of reminiscences. Old games ruled. The days when just getting the games to RUN was part of the fun (I remember the rejoicing when my soundblaster settings would finally work). All those fond memories - it makes me feel sad. Games today just don't try to give you the 'experiences' that old games strived for.

I MUST HAVE IT......NOW!(drooling...)

After playing Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon (I'm still playing them from time to time...) this is a must to have....it's just freakin' divine.....

And just imagine, to have something similiar

like a full fledged planet in the

battlecruiser-universe, where each one of the

planets is another vvardenfell...

Maybe in 40 years, that may be possible ┬░smiles┬░

Yes, I always liked The Elder Scrolls, lets hope

that they will finish it. Although, due to lack of

PC-Components i never played Part III much.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, the press embargo has been lifted and the previews/reviews have started popping up.

http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1422030

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/691/691449p1.html

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/22390?f...nts_per_page=30

[ 02-27-2006, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I bet a radeon 9500 or a Geforce 5200FX would run it great.

All I know is your rig better scream running 'Morrowind' if you are going to have a prayer at running 'Oblivion' remotely well. Speaking of which, I wonder if you'll need a 'no cd' crack to run the game faster than 10-15 fps like you did with Morrowind early on. Gotta love that copy protection!

Icks...

Copy Protection was a murder for Morrowind

Suffice it to say, my video card doesn't even break a sweet when playing Morrowind

Wonder if it will for Oblivion

quote:

It sounds like the previewers aren't incredibly impressed. I fear that Oblivion will fall into the realm of games that look jaw-dropping in a screenshot, but somehow fail in terms of gameplay. I hope not.

NEVER trust pre-view's, most are highly biased and aren't worth the time it takes to read them: That's namely why I don't bother reading pre-view's anymore. Because most of those who write them don't even take the time to actually PLAY the game, in fact, most only play the game for five minutes, if even ten

In fact, to a degree, don't even trust the reviews made be reguler people, most aren't even worh the time it takes to read them

As for Oblivion, I personally feel it'll be another success, but thats all I'll say, don't want to jynx it

I'm going to get the collectors edition on launch.

I'm upgrading my machine this week to be able to run the next generation of games for a couple of years to come.

• 3 weeks later...