The Elder Scolls - Oblivion

Supreme Cmdr

I can't stop playing. Its kinda prone to crash though, which is getting a tad bit annoying. Still, it crashes and then it gets opened right back up. Its dumbed down a little more than Morrowind was, but still its an amazing RPG.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

I can't stop playing. Its kinda prone to crash though, which is getting a tad bit annoying. Still, it crashes and then it gets opened right back up. Its dumbed down a little more than Morrowind was, but still its an amazing RPG.

Same here. That's why I've been scarce around these parts. I got Gothic 2 the gold edition with the night of raven add on and now Oblivion. So much game and not enough time.

I've racked up about 24 hours game time and am at level 10 just going about my business without even completing anything major except for a few side quests and going through mines and caves. The graphics are excellent as is the game play. The AI is a tad quirky but liveable. For example, you'll be fighting and any NPC that is along with you will just waltz right in front of you as you are about to lay in another blow to the enemy and state as you hit him "Hey, I'm on your side".

You are also correct about the crashes. In the begining however, it wasn't as bad as it now since racking up a lot of inventory and quest goals. It's gotten more frequent now. But, it's such a good game, I can deal with it. I also notice that if you save and reload a lot it also makes the game crash at some point.

BTW: Did I mention this game is kick arse. You just won't believe the vistas that unfold before your eyes.

quote:

Originally posted by ShoHashi:

LostInSpace: Is it running pretty decent on your rig as you have it posted in your profile?

That's my old rig. Can't seem to upgrade the content yet. Got's to pick up UCAWA.

Anyway here's the current rig:

CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939

Motherboard:ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 ATX AMD Motherboard (AGP 4/8x/PCIE)

Memory:pqi TURBO 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Video: ATI 9600xt 128mb 4/8x

Hard Drive:Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200S0 200GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150

With the ATI9600xt and no AA and everything maxed out on the game setting with an 800x600 resolution, it runs good. There is some slow down outside of Skingrad out by the grape vinyard but still good. Looking into getting a PCI-E within a week or two. Just gotta look into which is the best one for little money.

Been playing the game for roughly 40 hours, and only advance the main quest slightly from time to time. Wonderful game, though a bit prone to crashing as was already mentioned (appears to me to be when events are triggered sometimes, or sometimes when trying to do the autosave).

Only closed one oblivion gate so far, the one at Kavatch, but I am planning on closing many more before too long.

Ummmm

That appears to be an issue with the collectors edition only, because some of the people on there claim to have the collectors. But there might be other who don't

Either way..

I run the collector's edition to full details and options without problems.

Only got one corruption one time after entering a building.

Nothing else.

Checked out your System Requirements for this game?

You can check here

Mine said this:

Congratulations, your system will Rock this product! Wish we had a system that hot you lucky dog.

Derek, maybe you could add UC to that site? Might save ya a few GROdysies, errr headaches

[ 04-04-2006, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Wolferz ]

I am running the game on a laptop! On a ATI Radeon Xpress 200 vicard with the slowest 2.0 shader tech you've ever seen, but....

With the helpful (and now overloaded) forums I've managed to tweak the settings so that I can play quite comfortably on 800x600 res. I know, ancient ungly resolution you'd say, but you're wrong: the game still looks very good on this res! Not kidding.

Very cool game so far. I've played roughly 4 hours with the focus on the main events, no side quests yet, except the freeing of Kvatch.

Very good atmosphere, much more so than Morrowind which I found quite 'brownish' in general. Gorgeous lighting effects and characters.

If you like RPG's I am sure you will find Oblivion is a game that should definately be in your collection, though be prepared to do some serious tweaking if you're on an older rig; even guys with radeon 9000 series vidcards and GF4 Ti4000 series cards are now able to run it after tweaking settings.

It does a bit of lag when the defragging is in progress, but things go right back to normal afterword.

Simply put, if your computer is so low on ram (512 and under) that it needs/could benefit from the defragging, you should just putt up with the 15-40 second pause in gameplay. (just make sure to trigger it before you go into a big battle or something ^_^)

In playing Oblivion, I only need to do it once every 20-40 minutes to keep everything nice smooth.

The really big thing that could improve performance is tweeaking grassheight. Open the Oblivion ini and change mingrassheight to 140-180 ish.

It will keep any grass under that height from being rendered, unfortuntly everything starts looking a bit lie Morrowind, but he preformance difference is staggering.

quote:

Originally posted by ShoHashi:

WeeGee: How about your rig?

Sorry, net's been going in and out all week. (Plenty of time to play Oblivion though). I need to update the rig in my profile. I'm still using an AMD 2500+, but I've got a gig of dual channel ram now and a 9800. It runs fine, but I've had to tone a couple things down. I also turned grass off, and got like a 4 fps boost so I'm not complaining.

I've got a new system in the works that'll blow this aging systems socks off, but for now this one is doing fine.

The crashes have stopped... I don't know what has changed but I haven't had one in about 3 days (knock on wood). Still unbelivably fun; I really like these quests in comparison to the quests of Morrowind.

I've got to admit though, I'm starting to miss the mass number of factions. The least I could ask for is to be in the Imperial Guard again... but I guess you can't do that this time around. Still a great game.

What do all of you think about the $1.99 fee for the Horse Armor? I think that most of the whiners on the Beth forums are just making a big deal over nothing; Beth should make a little profit on the extra content they make.

Well it is on my system Denny But that's because the framerate drops significantly when I run around in 'Vanity Mode'.

Oh and another tech tip of the day: Set the shadow sliders on one notch before lowest setting to keep some nice shadow effects, but improve framerate significantly.

After doing this I am even able to run on 1024x768 (been on 800x600 before) with view distance at 75% (instead of 15-25%) which results in almost no popups anymore! And to be honest I don't see to much difference in shadows, still dynamic shadows in relation to the sun on characters and buildings...

That's true indeed; if don't have a very high end system it will hit your performance to have the character visible...

quote:

Originally posted by JUDGExKTF:

Well usually I wouldnt have a problem with this.

But now I can't help but feel kinda ripped off. I payed 60 euros for something I can't use and there is no sign of support anywhere. I mailed three times to bethesda and they stated my mail would be answered within 48 hours, but I havent heard from them.

And now they're trying to sell me addons for it...

I haven't tried for support yet. Haven't needed it. Honestly Bethesda just sort of holed up immediately after they released Oblivion. Not much news from the developers has been released.

The Horse Armor, after thinking about it, is a little ridiculous. I can understand things such as the Orrey... but the 2 pieces of Horse Armor are a bit of a rip off.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes of this.