Electronics Arts - The Human Story

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Carl Burning:

Wow, I had no idea EA was a sweatshop until I read that article. I somehow have a feeling ill end up being shafted like that some day...

I knew exactly what they were... and are. Most big game companies are like that. Whatever can put another $10 in their pockets.

My thoughts are over here

And this comes on the heels of the IGDA quality of life report which has these statistics

Some of the unfortunate statistics reported:

* 34.3% of developers expect to leave the industry within 5 years, and 51.2% within 10 years.

* Only 3.4% said that their coworkers averaged 10 or more years of experience.

* Crunch time is omnipresent, during which respondents work 65 to 80 hours a week (35.2%). The average crunch work week exceeds 80 hours (13%). Overtime is often uncompensated (46.8%).

* 44% of developers claim they could use more people or special skills on their projects.

* Spouses are likely to respond that "You work too much..." (61.5%); "You are always stressed out." (43.5%); "You don't make enough money." (35.6%).

* Contrary to expectations, more people said that games were only one of many career options for them (34%) than said games were their only choice (32%).

Before I read that I'd heard rumours flying around about EA from friends that had graduated my course.

This is extremely worrying for someone like me, who is actually studying a course in computer game design. I have been able to work for several weeks on end coding non stop, however, it was always for something that I was passionate about. As one of my friends put it, you might end up coding ball physics for the latest EA Rugby game...

I've never been a fan of EA, especially because of their 'Challenge Everything' logo which just REEKS of corporate bull ****, and their cash cow sports games.

I have absolutely no intention of ever working for EA. Though this shuts off options for me, I'd sooner work extra time in my job at Marks and Spencers than contribute to such a sickening money making machine.

Maybe EA should take a leaf out of M&S's book, sure, M&S are only retailers, but they treat their employees like gold dust.

• 2 weeks later...

/ramble mode on:

The rich get richer by driving the wheels of industry over the back's of the workforce. They delight in lobbying to have labor laws and regulations changed to thier benefit by slipping a couple of bucks into a politician's campaign fund. Then they list the contributions as tax deductions.

Anymore, I think that working for a big corporation doesn't benefit any of us as human beings.

I have worked for a few large concerns where, you left all of your rights at the door on your way into the facility and were constantly subjected to "the rules", which they constantly changed at will according to thier present need/s.

I began a personal boycott of EA products a long time ago because they are nothing more than a greedy bunch of money grubbing pirates who will screw anyone out of a penny. Employees,customers, developers, it doesn't matter to them as long as it puts cash in thier coffers.

One of these days the guys in the ivory towers are going to figure out that a happy workforce is a more productive workforce that will increase the bottom line moreso than playing overseer with a large whip to drive the horses.

Bottom line: Serious people run the government and industry and serious people SUCK!

If you can't have fun while you're working, what's the point of working?

/ramble mode off.

quote:

If you can't have fun while you're working, what's the point of working?

I suppose most people work in order to live: eat, have place to stay etc.

But you raise an interesting question, which makes me wonder how much to people really like their jobs and/or have fun on them.

Sounds like a new thread to me...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...