Marvel sues two companies over role-playing game

Supreme Cmdr

I play CoH, and while I've noticed that those who create heroes with copyrighted names get renamed "GenericHero" I'm not sure you can create a superhero game without using concepts present in all of comics. Marvel and DC should be suing each other if a character who is a "science tanker who moves like the hulk" is the definition of IP infringement.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Marvel also claims the companies have disrupted its "existing and future" business prospects for licensing its characters in video games similar to City of Heroes.

well with the exception of spiderman and spiderman2 for the consoles, the other marvel "licensed" games blew dog ass... hulk, x2 wolverines revenge (ugh please), and theres a few others out there not even my kid would touch.

maybe if they concentrated better on game content and playability instead of churning out crap and wanting to sue everyone they might do a better job... oh well IMO.

besides... theyre probably pissed they didnt get to the superhero MMO first

quote:

Originally posted by XOR:

we are all prisoners of money...

Prisoners?

I think the word Slaves would be a more fitting description.

Welcome to the Matrix.

It's all about the Benjamins and that is really really sad. Mankind is stifled by the money monster. It divides and conquers. It is controlled by a select few who use it to wield power over us slaves.

Marvel may be correct in their assumption of copyright infingement but, wouldn't it be more prudent to seek a licensing agreement, rather than sueing? Negative press doesn't do anyone's company any good.

I'm sure the lawyers smell blood in the water and are salivating profusely in anticipation of the feeding frenzy to come.

Isn't GREED a wonderful temptation?

Ask Avarice. I bet he could give us all some good advice.