Vampire Bloodlines - Better than HL2

Scrivener

quote:

Originally posted by joebeard:

There is a game stopping bug around the half way point that can only be solved by manually changing levels via the console.

What is this bug? I finished the game and never had to use the console to change levels (could be related to some side quest that I never did, though)

WOW.

I did the Ocean Hotel level last night. JEEBUS! I haven't been that on edge since Undying!

And it's funny because...YOU'RE A VAMPIRE! You're not supposed to be scared of some dumbass ghosts. But jeez, the first time a vase flew out and hit me, I jumped. After that, they got annoying...but then, in the kitchen, pots flying everywhere...incredible. The atmosphere is perfect.

When you're in that suite and the lights go out and suddenly, "GET OUT" is written on the wall, and something just PUSHES you out of the room...masterfully done. I hope the rest of this game shows this level of sophistication.

After playing Doom 3 on nightmare (the way it SHOULD be played in the first place!) and Undying that hotel bit didn't really freak me out at all, especially as all the objects flung at you do so little damage. At least the level design was nice, the flashback bit at the end was probably the most advanced thing they did with the source engine.

Do you guys also experience occasional graphic anomalies, like weird textures ons parts of buildings, strange solid spikes sticking out from lights?

I have them occasionally, like the beach house in the first mission (not were the thugs live, but the big one on the left) and the lights on the stairs towards those thugs' house..?

The rest of the graphics are normal however, even when those anomalies show...

Also did anyone notice that in the intro the people float away instead of walk (the first shot that shows people standing up and getting out). The cutscenes seem kinda rough to me with inappropriate timing of fades and blocky/clunky animations sometimes.

Just finished the game - played through the endgame 3 times to get all the different endings. All were very good and had a certain neat tinge of Matrix-philosophy. I'd play through it again, but I have a ton of other games to work through right now... so maybe when I'm done.

In the meantime:

1) Prince of Persia 2 - Awesome new combat system... which is good, as I find myself looking forward to every new battle. The dark themes and characters make for a great desert upon finishing Bloodlines.

2) Battle for Middle Earth - Played a little bit last night and I was really getting into it. Could very well be the best LOTR game on the market. No, let me rephrase that - it most certainly is the best LOTR game on the market. It feels *complete* and believable, unlike those rubbish action games released last year. Nevertheless, I think I'll save this till I'm done with PoP2.

3) Moment of Silence - Just arrived from GoGamer. I LOVED the demo, which really gave me some serious Longest Journey vibes. Saving this one till after school gets out in two weeks.

What a great year for games. Too bad we PC gamers have to wait for KOTOR2... but hey, we got plenty else to keep us occupied until Feb.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

What a great year for games. Too bad we PC gamers have to wait for KOTOR2... but hey, we got plenty else to keep us occupied until Feb.

Good things come to those who wait (well sometimes). Remember KOTOR, that was released later than the console version also. What did the pc gamers get outa that, alot of new content and much much better graphics than it's console counterpart. Hopefully, this will be the same for KOTOR II even though it's made by different people.