X2 : The Return Space Sim

Supreme Cmdr

I'm engaged in a war against the Split myself, two capital ships on the front line and a host of corvettes backing up the supply chain >)

Aah X2 is great fun! I just hope the Return adds a bit more 'life' into the inhabitants. Freelancer might have been simplistic, but the radio chatter rocked

Two different games. No comparison.

In X2, money is a HUGE drive. You need $ for everything. So you buy factories, factories produce stuff, and AI buys stuff. You get $, buy ships, outfit them and fight. The thing is, fighting sucks in that game big time, and interface is very cumbersome. People complain about battlecruiser interface, in my opinion X2s interface is the one that should be complained about. Also, the space in that game is devided into systems much like in BC, but in BC it actually feels like space, in X2 it doesn't. When you jump into a system it feels like a box, with jumpgates into different systems at four corners (exactly the same in every system) and planets (non interactive, you can't do anything with them, not even "land" on them like in freelancer), factories and whatever exists in that system are so close it feels congested, also it's very hard to judge distances between your ship and other things in the game, has something to do with the way the graphics are.

I have X2, played it for about 3 days, it's been sitting on my shelf ever since. It's ok if you want a little distraction, but I wouldn't get it if you are looking for something long term. As a matter of fact I wouldn't even recomend it as a distraction (like freelance), because the way the game is meant to be played you need to invest a massive ammount of time in it, but the whole thing is just not fun as you don't feel the tension or the danger (like in BC).

I would just stick with BC for long term play, and freelancer for little time to time fast shootouts...

BC and X2 do have their pros and cons... Like Soback said though, X2 and BC are at two different ends of the spectrum. You should really try both if you have the money as they are both really good. What one game is lacking in, the other excels in. Just a few to name...

BC---------------------X2

Capship combat---------Spectacular battles

FP combat--------------Weapons variety

Can land on planets----Graphics

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

spectacular battles?

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself as I have NO clue what Carl is talking about.

quote:

is the battles fun?

No. And especially not like the edge of you seat stuff you can get in BC when there a huge fleet battles going and you're down to your last shield level, out of missiles with the CE screaming about damaged systems like a banshee.

[ 12-20-2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

spectacular battles? is the battles fun?

is it pay to play? is it online you are talking about that you are engaged in this war?

this war sounds interesting...

I did see an X Universe MMO that is in development though I dont see it going through in the future. X2 has no multiplayer either--the war is entirely single player. The battles in X2 do look nice when you are viewing other ships having it out from a safe place. As for the battles being 'fun'...well that is really your own opinion. No, they are not as exciting as Freespace 2. Id say the combat (fighters and cap ships) is similar to BC except the capships dont have main guns...only turrets. Your heart tends to beat a little faster in BC when you take damage because you know your crew are dying.

Bottom line: you either like it or you hate it. It all depends on what you want to do in a 'do what you want' game like BC or X2. I personally enjoyed both games and I encourage you to at least check out the demos for X2.

Oh man, yeah, like I said, in X2 the gameplay gets very boring after couple of days, and it's also not the game that you can play for breaks (like freelancer). Battles are waaayyyy better in BC. Here's an example, I don't remember any engagements from X2 at all, none, while I still remember a particular fight way back from BC3000AD, yeah, that long ago, my ship was falling appart, literally, systems red, messages of damages left and right, crew injured and dying, but with the last shot we took the enemy out. Now that was tense, and I wasn't about to give up, not that long into the game (all miners deployed, ship upgrades ect...), crawled to the station and got repairs, in BC you live and die with the ship, and the kicker is how you get to manage the systems and their repairs, you actually care about it rather then just click a button and all systems green, that makes a big difference because there's always some tough decissions to make (do I sign on a marine, or pick up some parts for the interceptor). Awesome.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

...not like the edge of you seat stuff you can get in BC when there a huge fleet battles going and you're down to your last shield level, out of missiles with the CE screaming about damaged systems like a banshee.

Even that isn't nearly as exciting as when the guy who is eating away at your shields is ShoHashi or Chavik or ... in some cases ... Denny.

Do I sense a bit of fear in Marvin's post

X2 never really impresed me, I mean the graphics are good and so is the ship design

Honestly, when it come's to space sim's my only interest is the battle's, ship design, and graphics

X2 has the ship design and graphics down.. but there battles are complete

So is the space axis, there where time's when I got completely lost and couldn't tell which way I was flying... at least in BC we have a tacops that helps those of use who are more concerned with the battle

But all in all, I still think BC is better than X2