Galactic Civilizations II

almostpilot

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would be very interesting to know how the new 3D engine is put to use?

I saw screenshots with in-space battles now available to view in 3D instead of just moving a unit in the square of the other and it either disappears or takes the square.

Also there are supposed to be gound combat sequences in the style of Panzer General (two sides show up and you actually see units battling it out).

Of course modular ship construction already is a huge improvement over the first game.

After playing for about 2 hours without any confrontations among the races, the Drengin on my southern border decided they wanted to put an espionage base right smack in the middle of my territory.

I calmly dialed them up and asked them to give it to me and they basically told me to go pound sand. At that time I ended communications and decided to send my newly found Precursor Cruiser over to destroy the espionage base which it did so with no problem. At that time, I was at war with the Drengin.

I then sent my Cruiser into their territory and began destroying their bases and ships without any resistance. This Precursor Cruiser is very good. I have them blockaded on their planet at the moment.

Combat is basically viewed from the map view, but you can rotate the camera around. On one of the battles, I somehow stumbled on a replay view which has different camera angles and such. I'll have to check out the manual and see how I did that.

-Sho

i have 5 planets. ive got a good bit of weapon technology, lasers 2, stinger 2, enhanced deflectors, medium hulls...

this is one thing ive always hated about this games, what to research next. i would like to get to the tech which lets me make any sector on a planet builable, to build up my planets more, but thats takes like 52 weeks. with all my points set to research.

ive designed a couple star trek looking ships with my medium hulls. i'd say im about mid game on the huge galaxy im playing. the Dak Yor just declared war on the Arcean's and i'm there ally, so they attacked earth with a troop convoy which I easily one, so I sent about 5 ships to start pulverizing there space. derstroying a couple of inadequate starbases.

I really need to get ready for the drengin, they have a big fleet. Guess I'd better just keep up the weapon research and put better weapons on my medium hull ships, because to research all the way to big hull is like 50 weeks off.

Well I decided to buy the game too, being a GalCiv 1 player and I must say that I do like it!

I tend to go with Cruis.In though on the beginning part of a newly started game; it is a bit slow, but what do you expect on the other hand? I mean, these races are on the brink of a new era, just give em some time to settle ok?

Sho, I think you might have stumbled upon the detailed battle view. There's an option in the game's options menu where you can define if you'll always want 'full battles' when player ships are involved.

Keep it ON, it's great eye candy.

Still I am wondering what the best settings are to get a sort of quick-start galaxy to prevent the beginning from being too slow

you can define it in the starting part of the game I believe. or just give yourself more money in the starting part.

while i dont like to play a research game, in that who can research fastest wins.... because it just varies too much, i still like a bit of researching in there to mix it up.

you can even set it to advanced and start with an advanced empire, but since i havent done it yet im not sure if you get planets, or just all the tech, it'd be cool now if you now had to now go out and colonize and build your planets, because the strategy element is still fully there.

wont have time to play until thursday, will give an update on my game then!

I preordered the game months ago at my local Gamestop to get the preorder-only CE, when it showed up (on my birthday no less) they only had the regular edition. I had to cancel my preorder and spend the extra $10 to get the CE delivered from Stardock directly.

So far the game is awesome - and they seem to have incorporated something that most grand tbs games overlook - the information war. That is, knowing what your enemies are doing is a huge advantage since weapons technology is like a game of rock-paper-scissors. Hence, espionage becomes an integral part of the game that can't be ignored.

I also love love LOVE the diplomacy in the game. Everyone has a personality and the dialogue and interactions feel like they actually have an effect on the game and your relationships with other factions (because they do).

The ship builder will also suck up a gargantuan amount of your time.

quote:

Sho, I think you might have stumbled upon the detailed battle view. There's an option in the game's options menu where you can define if you'll always want 'full battles' when player ships are involved.

Keep it ON, it's great eye candy.

Yes, it was the detailed battle view. From what I read on it, it only appears when you have fleet battles. Single ship to ship combat does not use it as far as I know.

quote:

The ship builder will also suck up a gargantuan amount of your time.

It certainly does!

-Sho

currently I am researching large scale building, so i can put some more nifty stuff on my ships. I have lasers 5, missles 4. point defense shields, duranium. im 1st in technology. but i think its time to get more room on my ships.

Ive taken over about 4 planets, two belonging to the drengin..

got a fleet to the south and a home fleet.

just took over Dak Yor who ive been at war with off and on. there planet became appealing and I have high research in bombardment, i have one more to go for shock troops.

need some more ships now though.