GeForce FX - PCI instead of AGP 8X

Asso

I found that my video card was using PCI bus instead of the AGP one. I searched and found that it's not an uncommon problem. But, even with all the informations I gathered, I haven't managed to get it to work correctly. Does anybody here have the same problem? Any hints? How can I enable AGP? Already tried many things, like coolbits (they only give me the possibility to overclock, I haven't managed to get to the AGP settings tab), various tools and BIOS.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Asso:

I found that my video card was using PCI bus instead of the AGP one.

....and you discovered this how?

I would assume that what he's probably refering to is his Nvidia card running in PCI Compatability mode, instead of in AGP mode. I had the same problem with an older Nvidia card and fixed the problem by upgrading to an ATI card.

Let me explain better this problem. On the nVidia Display Properties I saw this: "Bus type: PCI x0". But in DxDiag it says that AGP Acceleration is Enabled. Then I tried a small tool, WCUIPD, which found that AGP acceleration wasn't enabled. I searched more and found that I could try using coolbits. Tried, but it didn't work. I also tried a tool which updates nVidia Display Properties with the options you select from it. Nothing, the options were still the same, no AGP menu. I tried reinstalling Windows (it was a bit messy) with correct Chipset drivers (VIA Hyperion 4.49v, they're not the latest, but they're the one suggested for my MB). Nothing at all. I also changed video card drivers, trying many versions of them. Nothing...

This is a common problem when you forget to install the AGP Controller drivers...

Go to Start Menu, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager. Click on System devices. Make sure you have a Processor to AGP Controller driver installed. When I bought an Nvidia card, they did not remind you to do this. The recent ATI card I bought makes a point of it however.

If you can not find the driver then theres your problem. Heres what mine looks like.

Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Processor to AGP Controller - 2561

Asso, It sounds like you either have an incorrect setting in your BIOS or your machine has a PCI video card.

Did you construct this machine yourself?

Your BIOS version isn't listed in your profile so I can't nail it down to one thing. A copy of your DXDIAG results would help immensely. Please send it via PM.

I have already installed the AGP controller, its drivers should be in the 4in1. As for the bios, I've updated my sig. And I'm sure that both the VGA and the MB supports AGP 8x (I changed MB just to get that kind of support).

Sounds like a nasty little gremlin

This is what the Nvidia adapter properties lists for mine...

PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0

There could be a number of reasons causing the problem.

[*]Card is not seated properly

[*]IRQ conflict

[*]Defective card

[*]Bios set for PCI/AGP priority instead of AGP/PCI priority

[*]Bad MoBo

[*]Corrupted OS

[*]Corrupted BIOS

[*]Homotron infection

[*]Resnig used your rig

All jokes aside, I know it isn't amusing to you.

But, Computers are very much like automobiles. It is very difficult to diagnose a problem without having the machine right in front of you and it won't be feasible to send your rig to me.

I can only suggest that you comb through every inch of your rig, get rid of all non-Microsoft utilities and double check all of your settings in BIOS. Good luck and let us know how it's going.

My nVidia adapter properties parameters are just like yours: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0. But there's something in the bios I don't like very much... The AGP setting is "auto". And it's grayed out, so I cannot change it. I've enabled 8x support and changed the aperture size to 256, but I cannot change that setting... I think I'll try a downgrade of my bios, but I have to use a program that runs only in dos mode and... Maybe starting with WIN98 cd would work... I'll try now. BTW, that "AGP settings tab in the nVidia Display Control Panel" thing should have appeared, because I worked on the registry to enable it. But there isn't any tab. Is this because AGP is not properly set in the bios?

And if I cannot succeed, "someone" (Resnig ) will soon walk the plank... Yeah, there aren't any sharks, but I think even space vacuum is a proper punishment .

quote:

Originally posted by Asso:

My nVidia adapter properties parameters are just like yours: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0. But there's something in the bios I don't like very much... The AGP setting is "auto". And it's grayed out,

That is most likely the AGP driving strength, and should be set to auto. You can read about what the settings do here

This leads me to a question are you sure this is a Asus motherboard? Your motherboard board is not listed on the Asus website. Tried to search for it on google and got no hits. I don't wish to give you any suggestions without knowing what I am working with. To that end I find this software useful EVEREST Home Edition It can report back information about your system including the status of the AGP controller, What model your motherboard is etc. It can also generate a report that you can E-mail to me if you wish. Using the Report button on the toolbar.

MoBo

I think I've made it... I downgraded the bios to the first version available and it worked! Now I finally have 8x. And the possibility to change it via Display Properties. Thanks everyone for your attention and help. If (hopefully no) there are other problems, I'll post here. Thanks again everyone!

Oh man... I always write down that stupid p4"p"v8x-x... Gotta change it... So far, I've noticed (in the AGP settings tab of the display properties) that the optimal speed is 8x for both MoBo and GPU, but it's 2x for the OS. Could that mean that Windows is actually creating some kind of bottleneck?

In regard to your Video Aperture setting,

That one should be a figure equal to half of the amount of memory on your video card.

Your specs lists 256 MB so te aperture should be set to 128.

Glad you got it running .

So far no problems. Thanks again everyone for your attention and help!

For everyone who will read this thread seeking an answer:

-Check your bios version (get all possible ones and flash your bios with each until you finally get AGP support);

-Remember to install the AGP Controller drivers (for VIA based MoBos they're in the Hyperion 4in1);

-Update your registry to get all the tabs in the nVidia Display Properties (Google search coolbits) so that you can view if there is AGP support.

As for the Video Card drivers, well I don't know if the problem is related to them, simply get the latest and if it doesn't work try different versions.

[ 03-02-2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Asso ]