The Matrix Online

• 2 months later...
Guest Grayfox

hmmm well i got this one yesterday, and while it is my first MMO, i do tend to like it. theres people hanging around the hardlines to either upload skills they have aquired, or to jack the unsuspecting person coming out of a hardline i like the teamwork aspect... nothing like 3 or 4 people putting a serious beatdown on a merovingian hit squad... or taking some bits of code you pilfered off dead bodies to your friend who codes, and pay him some cash ($information) to write a line of code you can use to wield dual submachineguns with no attribute penalty

and what the reviewer failed to mention in his review (which i find typical) is that youre given a CHOICE between the red pill and the blue... i was thinking about the bluepill, but decided to be kickass. maybe another account... another thing is the game has been patched, and i didnt notice many of the things the reviewer was talking about.

as for combat, its pretty cool. you have free fire, close combat with guns (real cool) and you have hand to hand close combat. depending on what career tree youre following will depend on what you do in combat. i would rather fight a martial arts grandmaster than a lvl 10 hacker... those viral programs and logic bombs are a pain in the ass! if you want new abilities (ones that arent automatic or sub programs of ones you have) you have to buy the line of code from someone, either a vendor or a friend, and upload it.

now for the storyline... different in a cool way. if you go to thematrixonline website youll see whats been going on so far... morpheus is dead, shot by an exile in a plastic mask (theres a bunch of these clowns running around and they have something to do with flies...). morpheus was wanting neos body back from the machines and they werent giving it up... so he started setting bombs, waking up bluepills etc... until a bounty was put on him by both the machines and zion; the machines for obvious reasons, and zion for endangering the truce between zion and the machines.

whew... IMO a very cool game.

oh and if you see an agent... run. i deicded to test the fence a bit at level 6... ya well an unwise choice seeing as agents are generally level 50+ (level 50 being max, but you know...)

• 2 weeks later...

I tested it myself, and although it's a good game, it feels mostly like an advanced version of "Rock Paper Scissors" more than anything. I wish MMOs these days would get off the 'turn based' fighting, and all of the 'level' aspects.. I want to be able to perform to the best of MY abilities, not my 'character'. My 'character' is an extension of myself, and should not hinder my knowledge.

quote:

Originally posted by Freyar:

I tested it myself, and although it's a good game, it feels mostly like an advanced version of "Rock Paper Scissors" more than anything. I wish MMOs these days would get off the 'turn based' fighting, and all of the 'level' aspects.. I want to be able to perform to the best of MY abilities, not my 'character'. My 'character' is an extension of myself, and should not hinder my knowledge.

Have you tried Planetside?

Planetside is one of the few games that keeps me coming back. I can quit it for a few months and then just pick it back up and see how they've screwed the balance. But, FPS is always fun when you and two-hundred of your closest friends can duke it out all together for world domination.

Now as far as Matrix online, I was turned off of that from the beginning. I had a friend that was in beta, and when he could actually get the game to start, it was boring and laggy. Don't get me wrong, I understand that beta implies imperfect, but it didn't seem to improve much even immediately prior to release.

I could never really manage to stay in large battles because of the latency. I usually went for stealth and grabbed bases that weren't defended... (Of course... after calling in support and get some help to defend during the countdown).

anyway, enough off topic... back for SOE's deal.

I really don't care about this. It sucks, but there's nothing we can do.