Dungeon Lords is out

I really wish they can patch it up. All of the framework is there, it just needs to be fleshed out.

Once you start running around in the world it's fun, and the dungeons are good... it's just that the never got the cities finished.

Oh well...

I'll play the game when they are done patching it.

BTW, those Dreamcatcher forums are some of the worst I have seen. Someone needs to create a forum tool that can filter out garbage based on some viewer defined ruleset. Hey, I can dream.

Imagine what Xplay will end up giving it.

I just love the fact that DreamCatcher is trying to get out of thier FAILURE by saying that "It was intended to be like this".... I didn't believe BC3000 was supposed to be like it was when I played it(unpatched version). If things feel like things have been left out, then it's a failure...

As for an automap...? How hard is that? Geez... Even ROUGE had an automap!

Seems like DreamCatcher will be going out of buisiness if they keep this crap up.

hehe considering that the automap files are in the data folders for the game... it just got cut because of lack of time.

Your kidding me! O.o The files are there!? If the automap was shown in the demo/screenshots, and it was working prior to release and the files are there, then why is it disabled?!

Yeah, I have stoped buying games with dreamcatcher logo on them a while back. Even if the game caught my eye, they were consistently dissapointing. As far as organizing the forums, maybe there should be like a rating system for every thread, and users could rate it from one to 10 on the bottom. That way, if you set to see nothing below 7 for example, all the trash is filtered out.

Actually I think it was that the art assets for the maps weren't done... all that is there is the map of the first city, Fargrove.

The elven city is definately incomplete. there are fireplaces with lights but no fire and no furniture anywhere in teh city.

However once you leave the cities everything is good. I haven't run into a dungeon yet that wasn't deatiled.

• 2 weeks later...

DC closed the forums just before E3 and haven't re-opened them since. Considering the state in which they released DL, I'm not surprised.

Speaking of which.

EDIT: There is a new forum over here and this topic talks about D.W. and his crew taking things from here on. Sound familiar?

...as to independently releasing a patch by Heuristic Park, they did it for Wizards & Warriors too, but the bugs were really too favorable for many players to bother patching unless absolutely necessary.

(...and here I used to have such a relatively high opinion of Dreamcatcher because they still actually released adventure games, which is all I really ever associated them with...)

Side note: n00b, actually own the original silver box BC3k and Interplay's release. Decided to grab BCMG as my sys specs aren't(and won't) be quite up to spec for the UC series...

DC closing the forums is disrespectful to both customers and the devs. The sad part is that there is a great game underneath the current version just waiting to be unleashed. I hope DW has the resources to realise his vision for the game.

One note about the automap: I agree it's been a real bear keeping track of my character's location, but I've kind of been enjoying the paper map. It's a throwback to the old days when automapping wasn't commonplace. Maybe I'm getting old(37)?

looks like junk inventory and a bunch of npc issues/armor issues fixed for 1.2

1.3 is slated for teh character customization and automap.

Well, I actually finished this game last night. As a beta product, it wasn't bad. The ending hints at a sequel (or an expansion pack), but I seriously doubt it will materialize all things considered.

It's a real shame -- good adventuring RPGs are tough to come by.

quote:

Originally posted by SC:

What about Bard's Tale?

I've been considering it. I think I'll download the demo tonight. I also just read about a mod for Morrowind called Wizards' Islands

And, amazingly enough, the Dreamcatcher forum for DL is back up in the promised time frame.

quote:

Originally posted by Masefield:

And, amazingly enough, the Dreamcatcher forum for DL is back up in the promised time frame.

...yeah, after E3. There were NO changes to the forum whatsoever. They simply shut it down because there are no other DL related forums anywhere and so new adopters to this travesty, won't get to see the fracas. Notice (as some others have said) that some of the threads are gone.

[ 05-30-2005, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

well, there was the one available through:

http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com/main.php

The DreamCatcher forums were still down as of Friday afternoon(~3p EDT)

Bard's Tale: Isn't that more of an action game? (i.e. My impression was that it was sort of a platform type game with only vague association with the classic...)

Other RPGs:

Devil Whiskey (Indie, more akin to classical Bard's Tale/Wizardry 7 http://www.devilwhiskey.com/)

Lock it up and throw away the key

OK, that was just harsh.

But once again, this is a perfect example of the company we've been dealing with. Rushed - yet another product to market - knowing fully (according to the devs) well, that it wasn't ready for prime time.