Problems with Trymedia

Asso

I recently bought Uplink from Trygames. I've already bought online so I didn't see any problems until I saw the activation method they use for the games they sell. They say on their site that you have to pay only once to get your game but when I was activating mine, I read on the ActiveMark Browser that I had 3 FREE activations, and once I'll have used up all of them (and you must use one every time you change your pc config) I MUST PURCHASE a renewal. So I asked them a refund, since I don't want to pay again (because I format very often and I occasionally change hardware/configuration). They simply answered me that I don't have to pay again. Are they kidding? What did I read then?

What should I do? I told them again and I've been more specific, but they haven't answered yet. I think I'll see a response tomorrow. Maybe I should chargeback to get back my money? These things are simply frustrating, because in the end it's not a sale, it's a rental.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Keep that e-mail they last sent you because the website ALSO says "...refund within 48 hours".

Personally, in that case after getting that e-mail, I'd keep the game and ON PURPOSE, (of course saving that e-mail ) re-format the computer, change a few things, and see what happens...and if it wants money to renew the thing, then go ahead and get your money back...plain and simple.

Anyone else?

Yeah I read that 48 hours thing. I sent them the email as soon as I installed their crap. But they answered me 2-3 days later. I just sent an email to my credit card company to know if I can get my money by chargeback.

Take a screenshot of what you read, and what they claim. Send them in, and ask what's true. If you have to pay every three activations, or if some idiot just mis-interpreted what thier boss said and just put in that misleading statement.

It seems like I won't have any refund, 'cause (at least is what I understood) I'll get free activations unless I share my code or have been refunded. Man, I had to read those mails better than my university books just to get the hang of the things! On their site they say that you own the game (false, in fact if they want to revoke you the right to use what you paid they can), then on their first mail they say that I have 3 activations without charge (what the... ???). Then their customer "support" tells me that I have unlimited activations unless I don't share the reactivation code.

I'll not buy from there anymore, because I'm a honest buyer and I want to be treated like a honest buyer. I don't want to use a crappy protection method like that of HL2 or the one adopted by Trymedia Company (that could ruin my product, e.g. if they stop supporting it). I'm one of those that love to play games even years after their publication, and in this way I almost surely can't do it.

And don't tell me that I don't have the right to say this because the publishers or (better) the developers must defend themselves against piracy. I know that, and because of that I only buy games that I like, and stay sure that I don't give them to anyone. And many other developers adopt better methods. Think of UC: if in future I'll find my CD and feel the desire of playing it again, I will do it because I can.

Pirates will only get a headache 'cause they don't have access to the manual and patches and they can't go play online. Surely they can play single player, but without support, bugfixes and help they'll surely leave soon the game. Thanks for your help and beware.