Dangerous Waters or Silent Hunter 3?

ENS2018

Any opinions on which one I should get?

My first choice has been Dangerous Waters since I have been a huge fan of Sonalysts all the way back to when they released 688(i) and Fleet Command.

But, as I've been looking at Silent Hunter 3 I've become more and more interested in it based on the dynamic campaign, weather, and crew.

I wish I could get both, but don't currently have enough $.

Thanks.

They are both good games, I own both. However, Dangerous Waters is a bit complicated, hence it's 500+ page manual. If the manual doesn't scare you and you learn it, Dangerous Waters can be an excellent modern day sim. Silent Hunter 3, on the other hand, is not as complicated but there is still a lot to learn.

There is a demo for Dangerous Waters for you to try, but there isn't a demo for Silent Hunter 3.

Well I never saw Dangerous Waters so I cannot comment on that, still I like to point out that SHIII is not that easy if you boost up the realism settings.

One of the major drawbacks of the game is indeed its small manual.

For the rest I think it's a very good game (apart from the last patch that fixed some problems but broken other features), I'm now on my 42nd patrol and I'm already planning on having another full campaing with different choices.

From what I've seen from screenshots the graphic if far better in SHIII.

Dunno really 'cause the're kinda different. In the modern subsim you generally use you're sonar sensors and not the periscope.

In SH3 the periscope what you use to collect you're data to start an attackrun.

I agree ShoHasi that Dangerous Waters is more complex but like Denny mentions at high realism [sh3] level it requires skill to make the torpedo's hit.

The graphics are great in SH3 and the sea is truely awesome, the high waves, the sub , the explosions.

Dangerous Waters are good too though but SH3 are great!

Personally i favor Dangerous Waters since you can

play different platform types like frigate, helo, plane, sub. Same thing is comparing a WW2 flightsim (IL-2)with a modern flighsim (Falcon 4 / Lock-On ) i generally favor modern sims.

But since you already have some modern navalsims , ie Fleet Command and 688i, you might like to try something else.

quote:

Mano Faber said:

But since you already have some modern navalsims , ie Fleet Command and 688i, you might like to try something else.

That's what I was thinking. Especially since I've heard that DW is very similar to Sub Command, except with multiple platform types.

I think I'm going to go with SH3. I've never played a WWII sub simulator before, and am curious to try it out.

Thanks for the help.

I own both too (great Sho, we share interests!) and I think it all depends on what you want.

Like Mano said; the whole type of warfare is different in WW2 compared to DW's setting.

I do think, though, that DW wins at the end of the day due to its flexibility; more platforms.

quote:

Mordax Blyrr said:

I do think, though, that DW wins at the end of the day due to its flexibility; more platforms.

I would normally agree with you. I've been looking forward to DW for two years (since a beta was shown to me at a sonalysts' booth in DC). But I think I'm going to wait a while longer before I purchase it because I'm curious about SH3 (especially since purchasing LOMAC, which really impressed me). It's something new, and, since I've never tried a WWII sub-sim before, I want to experience a naval simulator without all the high-tech equipment today's navy has.

If I get the urge for a modern simulator, I still have Sub Command.

I do have a question about DW, though. When launching an MH-60A from the FFG, does DW allow you to switch to inside the helo (much like, when you launch a shuttle from your Command Craft in UC, you can switch perspectives)?

quote:

I do have a question about DW, though. When launching an MH-60A from the FFG, does DW allow you to switch to inside the helo (much like, when you launch a shuttle from your Command Craft in UC, you can switch perspectives)?

No, not as far i know. You can control it with waypoints or have the ship control the helo where to go but it doesn't switch you to the cockpit. You share sensor data etc and you can get a remote view of a target. It can attack a target

Guess you're going for SH3 now

Never tried it but you can access different stations in the same unit (P3-C, FFG-7) with several players.

quote:

Mano Faber said:

Guess you're going for SH3 now

Yeah. What really sold me was the fully dynamic campaign.

Plus, you nailed what's been nagging the back of my mind for a while. I have the urge to try something new.

Hopefully I'll have enough money to get DW at the end of the summer. Between SH3 and UC:AWA (once it's released), I'm going to be in the hole for cash for a while.

Though, getting DW at the end of the summer won't be good for my grades.