Cold War

OK, normally I'd find this amusing, but I don't.

This morning, shortly after 7am EST, I got a call from one of the Mindware Studios guys, the developers of Cold War - who, like most - foolishly signed their game with Dreamcatcher.

The reason for the call? heh, apparently an unprotected version they'd sent to Dreamcatcher, apparently got leaked onto the net. No doubt that this is probably because DC sent it out for preview, thus the leak. In this warez leak, the readme file had a thank you to me for leaking it.

Yeah, go figure. This is some cruel joke, but I don't find it funny at all.

Below are the contents of the readme file.

quote:

Cold War BETA © DreamCatcher Games

................................................................................

GENRE.........: Stealth/Action RETAiL DATE ..: TBA 2005

PROTECTiON....: None RELEASE DATE..: June 13, 2005

DEVELOPER.....: Mindware Studios CD1...........: 52x15MB

PACKAGiNG.....: BIN/CUE+RAR CD2...........: 50x15MB

GAME URL......:
http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dci/cold_war/

..............:
http://coldwar.mindwarestudios.com/screenshots.html

iNFO: Cold War follows the story of a freelance journalist who finds himself in

the midst of an international conspiracy that aims to control the U.S.S.R.

Twelve hours after arriving in Moscow for a routine story, he has been

stripped of all possessions, beaten unconscious and thrown into the KGB's

political prison. Using only recovered weapons and improvised gadgets, he

must now evade or overcome elite Soviet forces and defeat the conspiracy

before he is sent to a Siberian prison camp or killed.

NOTES: This is a BETA leak with debug capabilities.

If you liked this release, please support the developers hard work by purchasing it

when it's in stores.

iNSTALLATiON:

1) Unrar

2) Burn or mount

3) Install/play

GREETS: We'd like to thank Derek Smart for this fine release.

CONTACT: If you have something of interest ex. supply, [email protected]

That is just insane.....

It obviously got leaked from dreamcatcher somehow, and the person that leaked it is trying to indict you somehow.

The more I hear about publishers etc, the more convincced I become that a new way to publish games is becoming necassary, or an ACTUAL HONEST publisher is needed, if that is not an oxymoron...

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

I do hope that the Mindware Studios guys weren't hinting or even questioning that you were involved in this. What fool would put their real name in a leaked game.

No, they weren't. They just wanted to let me know.

I did some snooping around and came across this post on Isonews.

Now, if you use the search function and search their PC Games forum for Derek AND Smart, not only will you find a bunch of threads, but also posts from people we've banned here. e.g. Uberjumper, W3a7herman etc

Typical cesspit of warez monkeys.

Yeah, I figured that about them calling you. Don't know why I typed that myself sometimes I just run off at the mouth. I think the heat here in NY is getting to me ugh it's hot. My kingdom for an ICE AGE!!

Anyway,

quote:

He didn't find a publisher crazy enough to market it for him!!! So he has to sell it over the net!

Like that has any reflection on how good or bad your products are. In fact, it might make them even better because you are handling the distribution of the product yourself and not on some "too soon" release date from a publisher. Apparently, these guys haven't been keeping up to speed with the news about game publisher shenanigans like the recent Dungeon Lords fiasco. These guys need lives of their own so they can stop picking on your life. Hence, the reason why I stay away from those places.