Jousting like never before

Asso

Check this.

It's a game about medieval skirmishes, both on foot and on horseback. You play the role of a young man seeking fortune in a medieval world (this means no dragons, no spells, just man, horses and iron). Reminds me of Pirates! a bit. You go from town to town seeking missions and trading goods. You can then equip yourself with better weapons and horses and recruit a group of soldiers. Then you go battling around the world for one of the two main houses. Battles are a lot of fun: you can mount your horse and charge your enemies while ordering your mates to back up you. The fighting system is really well done, with different types of attacks and the possibility to parry blows with a shield or with your weapon. You can also combat in an arena to make experience and money without taking risks, except loosing some $$$ (you can both bet money on you or, if you simply watch the fight without taking part, for one of the two teams).

It costs only 10$ if you buy it now that it's still in beta (instead of 25$ of the final release). Don't fool yourselves: even if it's at an early stage (current version is 0.632) it's higly enjoyable and without show-stopping bugs.

Just to tell you a thing of this game that excited me quite a lot: I was in the arena on foot with a bow for weapon, and a knight with a lance was charging me. I fired my arrow, killing his horse. The horse fell launching the knight far away (just like in the film "Braveheart" when William Wallace hit the legs of the english general's horse at Stirling), and by the time he was standing again I had another arrow ready...

Yep,the fighting is quite fun

(especially when you have mounted a horse,I hope the devs of elder scrolls 4 implement a similar system for their game)

but I'm gonna wait for version 1.o till I give it another look.As it is too unfinished currently for my taste.

• 3 years later...

This is actually pretty cool now that its done. But it seems oddly familiar.

• Customizable asset (your personal weapons, etc)? Check.
  • Persistent game universe? Check.
  • AI continues to do its own thing in the world? Check.
  • Free-form "roam" mode? Check.
  • "Instant action" scenarios? Check.
  • Combat and trading possibilities? Check.
  • Large universe with lots of places to visit? Check.
  • ACMs (side-quests)? I'm "reaching" here a bit, but...Check.
  • Fleet C&C (party/armies)? I might be "reaching" again, but...Check.

"3000AD" meets "The Society for Creative Anachronisms"? Interesting offspring. Either SC or his staff has been moonlighting at Paradox Interactive or else there's some 3000AD fans over there. :)

I wish it had a better manual and better tutorials. Maybe SC ought to moonlight over there and teach them a thing or two about comprehensive documentation.

/By the power vested in me by...um...uh...the Pittsburgh Steelers Superbowl XLIII victory...sure, why not? I recall this thread to life!

[*]ACMs (side-quests)? I'm "reaching" here a bit, but...Check.

[*]Fleet C&C (party/armies)? I might be "reaching" again, but...Check.

There are a lot of side-quests.

When you become the marshal for the faction you're working with, you give friendly lords tasks (patrol, raid, etc) or get them altogether and go on a campaign.

If you need any help with the game, let me know. I am fairly decent at it (level 38, own Dhirim, marshal for vaegir faction).

This is actually pretty cool now that its done. But it seems oddly familiar.

• Customizable asset (your personal weapons, etc)? Check.
  • Persistent game universe? Check.
  • AI continues to do its own thing in the world? Check.
  • Free-form "roam" mode? Check.
  • "Instant action" scenarios? Check.
  • Combat and trading possibilities? Check.
  • Large universe with lots of places to visit? Check.
  • ACMs (side-quests)? I'm "reaching" here a bit, but...Check.
  • Fleet C&C (party/armies)? I might be "reaching" again, but...Check.

"3000AD" meets "The Society for Creative Anachronisms"? Interesting offspring. Either SC or his staff has been moonlighting at Paradox Interactive or else there's some 3000AD fans over there. :)

Did you forget that easily that Frontier had all of these things (well, no fleet CC) ?

Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread! :)

Anyways, I do have it and it's not that bad if you're into this kind of game. If you get tired of the "vanilla" version there are other mods available for it (Lord of the Rings, Japanese, etc.).

-Sho

Yeah, Mount & Blade is amazing. I bought it years ago for 10$ or so. Its only two or three people that made it. I feel that these are a prime example of why the independent game development industry should shine. Theres no way a big dev company would do something like this, its too risky.

I also suck at it almost as much as UC :)

Did you forget that easily that Frontier had all of these things (well, no fleet CC) ?

No, but Frontier was in space, was it not? Lest they had spacesuits for horses and zero-G jousting. :)

(I never played Frontier, whatever the case may be.)